My best pencil drawings, tell me what you like

Chuck Nutz

On 12/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, windia said:

second, then first & last but one

Thanks for the reply windia, I hope I'll get more replies because I'm very curious to know what you think of my hand drawings. Maybe I'll get a few tips on how I can draw the eyes and hands in particular better, those two things are kinda hard to draw.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:52 PM, Varnart said:

best tip i can give is just keep trying and keep drawing, they are good

Thanks for the compliment. I just have the desire to get better in drawing more realistic and I think I can improve on eyes and hands specifically and maybe there are other artists who can give me some pointers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like the second from the bottom one best - your shading on it is the nicest  & most realistic. Chin/neck/abdomen/arms are all well defined without the use of heavy (and unnecessary) lines. You also appear to be aware of light direction & have already learned that shading follows the 3D contours of the subject you're shading - which is something a lot of people seem to miss. 

This  might be a far longer response than you were looking for,... but I'll write in anyway & hope that at least some of it will be new & helpful information for you.

I'd suggest trying pencils in different values as an experiment - "H" are harder (higher clay to graphite ratio), so they hold a point better,  are not as dark, ... but are nice for detail work/ light even shading/fine line. "B" pencils are softer (higher graphite to clay ratio) are darker, but tend to wear down quickly & appear grainy when shading. "HB" is a basic in-between value pencil. (it does both ok,.. but doesn't specialize well)  
For drawing people, I often use 2H & 4H pencils,  but I do generally make sure my paper is on a very hard work surface (otherwise the pencils can push through.) Also make sure the work surface is clean (so you don't end up having annoying bits of stuff stick up under it and make marks in your shading)
I sketch things in very lightly, then work detail in as I consolidate what I'm doing with darker line/shade. To prevent your hand smudging things,... work with a clean sheet of paper under your drawing hand. 

Hands & eyes ,  teeth & hair.
Unless you're drawing something huge - the eyes & hands tend to be somewhat small relatively speaking (which often presents the problem of the pen/pencil you're drawing with, getting a bit unwieldy - it makes larger lines than you actually want/obscures small detail due to size.)  As a result, it's often a good idea to not necessarily draw things with dark outline all around them,.. but let shading fill in what your eyes see. On eyes for example, the top lid has longer lashes & is almost always casting shadow on the eye itself - so you can draw it in,... but the bottom lid is often better just lightly sketched in or suggested with shading/hints of eyelash.
Teeth are similar - you hardly ever draw them as individually outlined, but rather more stylized. The spaces between teeth are very tight, so (unless you've got awful teeth) you simply don't see individual lines between them, but what you DO see is their shape at the gum line, & at their surface edges - so you can almost draw the parts near the gums as inverted "V's & add small ticks along the bite that line up with the Vs to show separation & very lightly draw the cutting edge of the teeth (depending as to whether they're against other teeth, or against the darker background of the inside of the mouth/tongue etc..)  If it's a smile where top & bottom teeth are touching, the cutting edge of the teeth can often just be indicated with the Vs for gum line & tiny diamonds to show corners of top & bottom teeth where they meet. (it's a cartooning trick, but it also works for non-cartoons.) 
As to lips - the top lip almost always appears as dark with few highlights ,... & the bottom lip usually appears lighter (it's fuller & more light hits it's surface) , and casts a shadow beneath it  And of course the mouth isn't flat, so there is a side to side curvature as well as slight top to bottom contour.
Fingers & hands are similar,...there's no need to necessarily draw each individual digit as an outline,... consider the hand as a single unit,...fingers that are close together often don't have noticeably dark areas between them, and nails often only show up as well-defined along edges that are in shadow. Each individual knuckle doesn't need to be rendered as line - but can be suggested by shading if required.
As to hair - pay attention to both the way it falls/grows & how light hits it. You can draw it as both individual hairs , & less detailed chunks or dark & light (and broken line where highlights occur.) Sometimes hair (if it's against a strong back light can have a halo-effect around it's edges - which works really well against dark backgrounds.) Hair almost always has highlights in it though,... which helps give it (and the head) shape & not look flat. 

I hope that didn't make your brain explode. 

Edited by EbeneezerSpooge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@EbeneezerSpooge Thank you so much for all your tips, very helpful... At least it's constructive that I can use in the future, I'll take it to heart.

The drawing you mentioned you like the most is my favorite too and I used several different pencils for that one. Even used my finger to feather out the shades.

Thanks for the compliment about the lighting concept, it's nice to see that someone actually recognizes that.

I'm definitely gonna use what you said about not using the outlines as much and try to show the detail using only shades.

Man, you made me want to draw again because of all the useful tips.

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ryaku Mcneil said:

Weird part is she didnt go to jail

Of course because it's a woman, you know how entitled they are nowadays and that the government and court is rigged so women always profit at the expense of men.

That's why I'm a MGTOW Monk.

• Thinking 1

4 hours ago, Chuck Nutz said:

Of course because it's a woman, you know how entitled they are nowadays and that the government and court is rigged so women always profit at the expense of men.

That's why I'm a MGTOW Monk.

Yep definitely sounds like a mig. Lol. To bebfair evidence showed that her husband was abusive towards her. Still crime's a crime.

Respect the lifestyle btw. Just literally had to explain to someone on facebook the difference between mgtows and incels since both the media and undercover incels gave you guys a bad name. Now not having a girlfriend is treated like the first sign of a serial killer and it pisses me off

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ryaku Mcneil said:

Yep definitely sounds like a mig. Lol. To bebfair evidence showed that her husband was abusive towards her. Still crime's a crime.

Respect the lifestyle btw. Just literally had to explain to someone on facebook the difference between mgtows and incels since both the media and undercover incels gave you guys a bad name. Now not having a girlfriend is treated like the first sign of a serial killer and it pisses me off

Thanks for the support, it nice to hear that from time to time because of all the bashing we get on a daily basis

• Chuck Nutz changed the title to 7 of my best pencil drawings, tell me what you like

I'm trying to get more of you to view my own pencil drawings that you see above this post and I would like to get more comments...

The upcoming shares are NOT my own, I use these as a reference to learn something myself. 

Please let me know what you think, which one do you like the most?

Write your comment, thanks.

I'm gonna upload some more soon, here's one below.

drawing-woman-girl.jpg

Edited by Chuck Nutz
I forgot to mention that the images I'm sharing now aren't my own and I'm changing that now. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkET5z7YrqY&feature=emb_logo
  • Like 2

• Chuck Nutz changed the title to My best pencil drawings, tell me what you like
On 6/8/2020 at 3:58 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

I think your doing well. Ebeneezer has some good points. your shapes are there. I really like the eyes on this last one.  my art is a little more anime. all I can tell you is its a long road  keep going

Thanks for leaving your comment, it's very much appreciated here.

It does take a long time making these drawings and getting better, learning new techniques etc. but I like to draw and when I finish it and see peoples reactions or read the comments I get, it's a good reward I think... It would be better if I could earn an income with it but that's not the case so I take whatever I get, positive reactions and comments are good enough for me.

I will never understand how people get any satisfaction out of being praised for artwork they've stolen from others. Please stop.

So out of this new artwork you've posted, the first and third were drawn by Xia Taptara and can be found here and here, respectively. The second one and fourth were both drawn by Rafael Navarro and can be found here and here, respectively.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Imick Says said:

I will never understand how people get any satisfaction out of being praised for artwork they've stolen from others. Please stop.

So out of this new artwork you've posted, the first and third were drawn by Xia Taptara and can be found here and here, respectively. The second one and fourth were both drawn by Rafael Navarro and can be found here and here, respectively.

Nice detective work and good to set me straight, I totally forgot to mention that the last shared images aren't my own but these are my references to learn from and I thought it was a way to get a few more eyes on my own drawings... I don't know what I was thinking, should I remove them?

17 hours ago, Imick Says said:

Well simply redrawing a nice work is also a skill. I don't see why not praise him for it, even if they aren't his original work he still did redrew them well enough.

• Like 1