Suggestion: Stop Switching Backgrounds Please

Bomba

15 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

On the plus side, thanks to our awesome community in general, and dedicated madmen like Finder, Shal and others, now that I've finally installed the script addon, my gaming experience improved tenfold. While I was at it, I also installed Finder's anti-"notification" script, and of course the famous HH++ script, because why not. My eyes thanked me first, but then they opened wide upon noticing how many little (and sometimes pretty big) things got improved tremendously thanks to players. The ridiculously annoying and unnecessary stroboscope background is gone. The ridiculous lag just to tell me what the page I'm already on already shows is gone. And a ton of useful shortcuts and summaries are in. That's amazing, and I'm really, really thankful for all of that.

On the flip side, it's quite baffling that game developers are supposedly unable to either design or implement stuff like that when players already did. Even worse yet, the devs actively added useless and detrimental shit to the game that players had to come up with workaround scripts to negate...

In any case, I'm glad. Thanks again to the few players who had to do the devs' job for us!

You have to thank twice, my friend: at least the scripts are working on your version of Firefox...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Observer_X said:

Yeah... too bad I already installed the latest version that can run on my old system, and I won't have the resources for a new PC for a long time yet ...

I know this type of stuff can be pretty annoying, especially for software, most typically games, that are poorly optimized and eat up a lot more computer resources than they should. Kinkoid are guilty of this as well, but they're far from alone on that (so I can cut them some slack in that regard, contrary to insanely basic features they failed to implement or adjust properly, as discussed in this very thread). I distinctly remember stupid things like being forced to change my OS if I want to keep playing this or that game, or having to say goodbye to perfectly good hardware (my scanner or my old WiFi card for instance) simply because no driver runs them on the new OS. This can be irritating, especially when you're short on cash and have to make do with what you're stuck with.

Having said that, things like your web browser version tend to depend more on your OS than on your hardware. It's always a pain to reinstall everything in any case, but some old computers can sometimes actually run better with a more recent OS (as long as you set up everything for maximum performance and turn down all the shiny little effects and other things that you don't need and eat up your CPU and RAM needlessly). Alternatively, maybe a different browser would be more resource friendly, and still allow you to run a script addon.

In any case, good luck with that.

Edited by DvDivXXX
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bump up, so people can easily find a solution to the problem of switching background.

So either use FinderKeeper's script or just add this event's backgrounds in your blocking helper:

||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_tanned.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_subnautica.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_travel.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hey guys.

Made a fix for adventure map backgrounds disappearance introduced by this script.

https://forum.hentaiheroes.com/index.php?/topic/12376-suggestion-stop-switching-backgrounds-please/&do=findComment&comment=193355

Mea Culpa.

Instructions:

• In <something>Monkey dashboard click on the Orgy Backgrounds script
  • Replace all existing script text with the updated one
  • File -> Save

Edited by FinderKeeper
clarification
  • Thanks 2

I am a bit leery of TamperMonkey and system security, so I use a different solution.

I am never on the main game page, and instead have 2 tabs open on different pages. Arena & whatever else I'm doing in game. No background switching that way.

Umm, thanks guys. But just to clarify: users of this script were seeing only one portion of a map just because this script axed the remaining two. :$

When we got to latest part of the story, I thought problem wis black portions of the map was Kinkoid... well... being Kinkoid about it or my browser cache was acting up. Yesterday, I was looking into something else and realisation hit. :/

Edited by FinderKeeper
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FinderKeeper said:

Umm, thanks guys. But just to clarify: users of this script were seeing only one portion of a map just because this script axed the remaining two. 

Thanks for the clarification. I must admit, I had no idea that the weird blank screens on the Adventure map were caused by your script (I also assumed it was just an issue caused by the new map's addition). But honestly, it wasn't a big trade-off anyway. I'm hardly ever browsing the adventure maps, whereas I'm on the main menu most of the time, so I'd rather have a small visual annoyance every now and then than a big one all the time (during OD). It's still great that you fixed the side effect, though. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

@Tom208 0.18.8 of HH++ script

line 5364:

//Stop background switching during Orgy Days event
$("#bg_all").replaceWith( $("#bg_all").clone() );
$("#bg_all > div > img").not($("#bg_all > div > img")[Math.floor(Math.random()*$("#bg_all > div > img").length)]).remove();
$("#bg_all > div > img").css("display","block");

Change to

//Stop background switching during Orgy Days event
if ($("body[ page ]").attr("page") != "map") {
	$("#bg_all").replaceWith( $("#bg_all").clone() );
	$("#bg_all > div > img").not($("#bg_all > div > img")[Math.floor(Math.random()*$("#bg_all > div > img").length)]).remove();
	$("#bg_all > div > img").css("display","block");
}

to fix black portions of Adventure map. They are implemented via backgrounds too.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I guess, this theme still could be useful, so I bump it up, so people can easily find a solution to the problem of switching background.

So either use FinderKeeper's script or just add this event's backgrounds in your blocking helper:

||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_feast.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_spring.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_egg.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_safari.jpg

FinderKeeper's solution:

and additional explanation:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So many people seem to hate these constantly changing backgrounds... Why do we still have them?

On 3/18/2021 at 11:11 PM, Bomba said:

||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_feast.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_spring.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_egg.jpg
||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_safari.jpg

I'm so lazy I just put:

||hh2.hh-content.com/pictures/backgrounds/2200x/homepage_*.jpg

Screw having any background at all :P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SpinelesS said:

So many people seem to hate these constantly changing backgrounds... Why do we still have them?

The forum is but a small subset of the playing audience. Just because a vocal minority of the forum (which itself is a minority of the user base) dislike something, doesn't mean there aren't other users who enjoy it.

5 hours ago, SpinelesS said:

Because there's no problem according to Kinkoid. They do no play their own game and are not aware of many issues that players face daily. On their side all they see is a smooth change from one background to the next, which is yeah, supposed to be good. But on player side yeah, we may see that too on main screen if we stay there for some time. But for anyone who's just going from one page to another it doesn't look like that. It looks like a flux of a dozen background switches in a matter of a moment every time you go for the page that has this background. And according to Kinkoid it's the use of some “scripts” or third part programs which causes this issue. And to resolve it all you need to do is unable those scripts. (And this is literally was their response to me). Of course I pressed further and it turned out that they can try and help, but you have to provide a lot of specific information. Back and forth it took months and I've given up at some point. Maybe if I was more persistent they would've found the problem and fixed it. But how was I supposed to do that with a 5-day event if they can't even provide the proper information and when this rare 5-day event happens and I try to do the thing they said to do and realise that it doesn't work or something's wrong or I have more questions and try to contact them again it takes them weeks to respond and by that time the event is long gone and I have forgotten half of it.
And the thing is, I went farther down this path than the most of the players. None of them would bother with this for weeks let alone months at the pace of a frozen slug in the middle of the blizzard. So yeah, no players really said anything about it other than "please stop switching background", cause it's not supposed to be this hard. And that's why the issue persists till this day.

5 hours ago, GeorgeMTO said:

The forum is but a small subset of the playing audience. Just because a vocal minority of the forum (which itself is a minority of the user base) dislike something, doesn't mean there aren't other users who enjoy it.

Show me at least one person who has the same kaleidoscope of flashing colors and enjoys it. People weren't talking about the possibility of seizure from this for nothing. And I wasn't talking about the time interval from the very beginning without any reason. Of course there're people who enjoy this switch at bearable speed, but it has nothing to do with this issue. It's not about liking or disliking it. It's about inability to play with this feature enabled.

• Like 3

My main issue is that I like to leave the game playing in the background while I do other things, and if I leave it on that changing background for too long my computer starts to lag a bit.

I mean sure, my computer is old, but why the hell would a changing background cause such a problem (I'm not using scripts or anything like that)

4 hours ago, SpinelesS said:

My main issue is that I like to leave the game playing in the background while I do other things, and if I leave it on that changing background for too long my computer starts to lag a bit.

I mean sure, my computer is old, but why the hell would a changing background cause such a problem (I'm not using scripts or anything like that)

Let's just say that from a technical point of view, HH is not a use case of excellence...

I post this satire from time to time: https://www.theolognion.com/unreal-engine-5-is-meant-to-ridicule-web-developers/ 😬

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpinelesS said:

Yeah, as Kenrae has said the game is a total mess in terms of optimization and eats too many resources from both your device and your internet connection. Also, I don't know what browser do you use, but it was said that developers recommend Chrome. And it runs better and with less problems there. Might be worth a try.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the delay in update, the forum was inaccessible for me.

After nearly two years this issue was finally addressed in the Patch Notes Week #35 (01.09.2021). So this theme is no longer needed. But I want to thank everyone for their contribution because we wouldn't be able to do this without coming together and pushing this issue forward. In this theme and many others. As Kinkoid said themselves, they did it "Due to community feedback", so we were able to get to them and that's great! That means communication is improving and there might be new good things in the future. It took some time, but it's Kinkoid, so we should be glad that they were able to do this at all. Still, I see this as an absolute win!

Now, this theme could finally be put to rest and disabled.

• Like 2