SECURITY and PRIVACY debate

Tedddy

Here we can argue about opinions that everyone no doubt have about mentioned matter.

I do not trust usually big products,so i use some smaller companies products among of popular ones if needed.

But frequent updates weight alot when choosing software,but are those really trustwhorty?

yours:ted

Big company's are bound by international and local law and are far more likely to be taken to court, fined and or sanctioned than little company's, they also have the resources to protect you far more than a little company. Its also worth noting that most con's are not on large company sites but on small sites where they know that can just close down and restart on a different www as apposed to say a highstreets brand. With that said it doesn't mean you should not protect yourself and only give out data that is absolutely necessary as some company's that start out small become bigger but retain there policy of selling data to make them self more profitable such as Facebook to name just one.

Edited by maxafax

I recently herd that Avast is selling private data of users to anyone who can afford,the very same data you try to keep private with its browser and VSN and so on.Anyone able to tell if there is any truth in that rumour?

As far as i know,in Europe at least thats pretty much illegal to do so.

Also i wonder other rumours truthworthy,about Ccleaner after Avast bought it.Story tells it send data of whats been deleted from your computer every time you use it,to Avast servers who again sell that info to someone..

22 minutes ago, Tedddy said:

I recently herd that Avast is selling private data of users to anyone who can afford,the very same data you try to keep private with its browser and VSN and so on.Anyone able to tell if there is any truth in that rumour?

Also i wonder other rumours truthworthy,about Ccleaner after Avast bought it.Story tells it send data of whats been deleted from your computer every time you use it,to Avast servers who again sell that info to someone..

I don't know about that specific one but there was a Russian one run from the UK sub company that did exactly that. But most that send packets to the host servers do so for legitimate reasons and do not send personal data just application run dynamics

Edited by maxafax

On 2/24/2020 at 8:00 PM, Tedddy said:

Yes, the Avast scandal is true. Original sources are linked in the wiki article.

They're doing the opposite from what they promised to protect you from. And my guess is: they're not alone 🤬

On 27 January 2020 Motherboard reported "An Avast antivirus subsidiary sells 'Every search. Every click. Every buy. On every site.' Its clients have included Home Depot, Google, Microsoft, Pepsi, and McKinsey." The investigation showed that the Avast Antivirus and AVG AntiVirus programs collected data from the users' computers and that the Avast subsidiary Jumpshot repackaged and sold them. In response Avast announced on 30 January 2020 that Jumpshot would cease operations over the data privacy backlash.

On the basis of the information revealed, on 11 February 2020 the Czech Office for Personal Data Protection announced that it has initiated a preliminary investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast#Controversy

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone can trust any company's these days not to be selling there data in one form or another, the fact that most of it is not personal data makes no difference its all about consumer trust. No one would want someone outside there house spying on them threw binoculars and going threw there rubbish looking for letters and what food they where eating etc but unfortunately it seems as though most company's think that this kind of activity is perfectly acceptable in the digital world. From shops that scan your phones when you go near them to sites that monitor what other sites you have been on and operating systems that record and send god knows how much data about us you start to feel as though you would be better off being one of those that reject technology life is becoming like a book by orson welles.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hehe,but if something is written in wikipedia it doesnt make it truth JAVhero.but i think max here is somewhat right.we can really only trust opensource programs that has huge community behind.i can see how programs like that overrule web in the future and we go back in time where we buy our computers blank and install only opensource OS and apps.

mark my words:that generation has allready born that takes privacy back no matter what