Cheese

jelom

3 ore fa, Slynia ha scritto:

Much appreciated jelom that you're taking my advice to heart 😂

So let's get started, which cheese goes best with pasta?

well well well. It depends on what type of pasta we are talking about, my friend. While I can't disagree with Observer (grana cheese, be it grana padano or parmigiano reggiano, is indeed the great "passepartout" to be grated on pasta), sometimes other kinds of cheese, like pecorino cheese, can be a valid alternative, if not a better choice

Edited by Antimon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Antimon said:

well well well. It depends on what type of pasta we are talking about, my friend. While I can't disagree with Observer (grana cheese, be it grana padano or parmigiano reggiano, is indeed the great "passepartout" to be grated on pasta), sometimes other kinds of cheese, like pecorino cheese, can be a valid alternative, if not a better choice

I'm actually taking notes, as I am a huge cheese lover, and also pasta lol.
Anyway, for macaroni and cheese, I always use good old cheddar cheese, but if we're talking about tagliatelle pasta, there is not a definitive answer, however, I usually make my tagliatelle with either blue cheese or parmesan. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, it really depends on the type of pasta (or dish in general) and also your own taste. I'm a bit of a weirdo for a French guy when it comes to cheese. I absolutely love a variety of fairly mild-tasting cheese as ingredients (especially in a hot meal), but I really don't care for cheese on its own. Give me a big chunk of gruyère, cheddar or mozzarella and I'm not interested in biting into it at all. Grate it on my pasta, or mashed potatoes, or eggs, or vegetables, or really anything else that I'm about to eat, and I'll embrace it with great joy! Also, I can't stand hardcore cheese, period.

When I'm in the mood for it, parmesan might be my favorite for pasta. And of course, we haven't even mentioned pizza yet! ^^ Although for these as well, no goat cheese, roquefort, reblochon or any other hardcore stuff for me, sorry. But any combo of mozza, emmental, cheddar or, say, fresh comté, and we're in business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

but I really don't care for cheese on its own. Give me a big chunk of gruyère, cheddar or mozzarella and I'm not interested in biting into it at all.

I mean, I love cheese, but just like you, I don't really like it on its own, it must be an ingredient ;) 
Pizza, hamburger, pasta, and tacos are my favorite dishes with cheese... oh and cheese naan a well!

9 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

or eggs

I'm not gonna speak against this, but seriously, I've never heard of this combination. Unless you're talking about cream cheese of course.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slynia said:

oh and cheese naan a well!

Hell yeah! That's such a treat (and Indian food in general I'm pretty sure was invented to make people happy, although that's another topic). But yeah, of course melted, creamy cheese inside a delicious piece of crusty/fluffy bread... Makes me hungry just typing this (and I just had breakfast ^^).

5 minutes ago, Slynia said:

I'm not gonna speak against this, but seriously, I've never heard of this combination. Unless you're talking about cream cheese of course.

Not at all. I'm typically speaking about sprinkling grated cheese on top of fried eggs (while they're still in the pan) so that it can melt and make them even more delicious. Also a typical thing (for me and mine at least) for omelettes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DvDivXXX said:

But yeah, of course melted, creamy cheese inside a delicious piece of crusty/fluffy bread

I feel you! I think cheese goes well with many things, but there is something about melted cheese and bread as a combination that just works. 
A little off-topic here but when I studied in Tokyo we were eating at this Indian restaurant pretty much once a week as it was located next to the school building, and I always ordered cheese nan xD

2 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

I'm typically speaking about sprinkling grated cheese on top of fried eggs

Now I just feel stupid... fried eggs and omelettes completely slipped my mind, I was only thinking about boiled eggs 😅 I guess I'm not fully awake yet.
Anyway, then I completely understand, I always have cheese in my omelette as well so big 👍 for that.  

• Like 4

Oh well, with grana cheese (and pecorino cheese) of course I was referring only to cheese as the "cherry on top" for a pasta dish. If we are talking of cheese as one of the main ingredients of the dressing, there are a lot that are great. One of my favourite pasta dish is what we call "4 cheeses pasta", in which we use as dressing some kind of cheese fondue obtained by melting together different kind of cheese. In my family recipe we use blue cheese, fontina cheese, taleggio cheese and stracchino cheese (but you can actually put in any kind of cheese that melts well and meets your taste). Not exactly a light, everyday recipe, but the result is just  *italian chef kiss* And, believe it or not, grated grana cheese is a perfect final touch even for this already cheese overflowing pasta dish 😂

That said, I love cheese nan, too (delicious indeed), But I have to say that I appreciate cheese even on its own XD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best cheese is... all of them. I still haven't found one I don't like. Both as ingredients and on its own.

I mean, I love this cheese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrales_cheese

This one too (sorry, not in English): http://www.vegasotuelamos.com/tienda/queso-de-oveja/44-queso-de-oveja-envejecido-en-romero.html

Edited by Kenrae
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slynia said:

I feel you! I think cheese goes well with many things, but there is something about melted cheese and bread as a combination that just works. 
A little off-topic here but when I studied in Tokyo we were eating at this Indian restaurant pretty much once a week as it was located next to the school building, and I always ordered cheese nan xD

Now I just feel stupid... fried eggs and omelettes completely slipped my mind, I was only thinking about boiled eggs 😅 I guess I'm not fully awake yet.
Anyway, then I completely understand, I always have cheese in my omelette as well so big 👍 for that.  

Melted cheese is cheating! You can put it over cardboard and it will taste great :P 

Edited by Kenrae
  • Haha 5

Since we are already off-topic in the Off-topic section, Australian hentai is the funniest shit ever, unless maybe you are an Australian who talks like this, then this is just your everyday dirty talk.
Treat yourself to the weirdest boner you've ever had, video starts at 1:45. Cheers.

Sorry jelom for going off-topic in this serious discussion :3 

On 9/9/2020 at 10:47 PM, Observer_X said:

Hell, with an idiomatic sentence and two links to wikipedia I created a monster... I'm speechless... 😶

Edit:

Well, I'll try to answer to my clubmate with another wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grana_(cheese)

Not only on the pasta, but, if you ask me, simply the best cheese in the world. There is nothing else I can say about cheese.

I'm quoting this so that it doesn't entirely disappear. I'll need to remove the original post for a technical reason.

12 minuti fa, Herod ha scritto:

This  theme  is  terrific  for  Me , Jelom .. Because  I`m  live  at  Donetsk - and  Donetsk  it`s  a  city  under  Russian  protection  against  Ukraine . ..

.. And  because  Russia  don`t  produce  natural  cheese .. we  are  at  Donetsk  can  eat  only  the  one  natural  cheese - 2 kinds - from  Belarusian  republic .

Russia ( called  Rossia ) is  produce  only  thing  called  Cheese  Product - the  mixture  of  starch , dried  milk  and  hydrogenised  palm  olive . Such  product  is  not  can  be  eaten .

... ( Edition ) Thank , DVD , that  You  are  cried  with  Me  on  my  Sorrow .

That's honestly sad. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Herod said:

Thank , @DvDivXXX , that  You  are  cried  with  Me  on  my  Sorrow .

So if I understood correctly, you actually like cheese, but no decent cheese is available where you live? I'm sincerely sorry for you. Most US citizens don't have access to decent cheese either, but at least they're not aware of it, so they don't miss it (and the same goes for most food).

Your situation sounds closer to when I was living in the UK and the only excuse they had for charcuterie (besides bacon, of course, which I also love) was a half-decent but very generic and never ever dried enough saucisson (only one type of one brand) that I found in one of the supermarkets around me. Luckily, I had my family mail me a package with some proper saucisson sec every now and then. I hope you'll find a way to get your hands on good cheese again soon.

• Like 2