Cheese

jelom

3 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

So if I understood correctly, you actually like cheese, but no decent cheese is available where you live? I'm sincerely sorry for you. Most US citizens don't have access to decent cheese either, but at least they're not aware of it, so they don't miss it (and the same goes for most food).

Your situation sounds closer to when I was living in the UK and the only excuse they had for charcuterie (besides bacon, of course, which I also love) was a half-decent but very generic and never ever dried enough saucisson (only one type of one brand) that I found in one of the supermarkets around me. Luckily, I had my family mail me a package with some proper saucisson sec every now and then. I hope you'll find a way to get your hands on good cheese again soon.

UK and food shouldn't go in the same sentence, period.
Ok, that was a little harsh, you can find good restaurants in London. For example, good Indian or Italian restaurants, properly managed by immigrants who know how to cook :P .

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Herod said:

I  want  - one day - make  a  real  cheese-juice-honey  revolution  at  Ukraine  and  Russia

I read some interesting reports of a renaissance in Russian cheese making a little while ago (I've attached a link to a Moscow Times piece) so, hopefully, some of this newfound cheesy goodness will make its way to Donetsk in the not too distant future, @Herod 

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/04/cheese-bolstered-by-sanctions-russias-fledgling-cheese-industry-takes-first-steps-a67143

Edited by Caradog
  • Like 1

• Community Manager

Gouda is nice.

Depends on the situation tho...
Brie and Camembert are great snacks - gourmet degustation with a whine and other stuff. 

What do you think is the best type of cheese for burgers or cheeseburgers? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Noacc said:

This one is easy for me: Pepper Jack and Cheddar cheese combined makes the perfect combination on a burger.
But if you strictly are asking for one kind, my personal choice would be Pepper Jack.

Tho, this really depends if you prefer a burger with a bit more fire to it, if you are more of a "sweet tooth" then regular Cheddar cheese or actually, Gouda would be the safest bet as it works perfectly on burgers!

• Like 4

There's also a type of cheese here we serve as a dessert. If you can, taste it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mató

On pasta, nobody knows more than the Italians, let's bow to Parmigiano Reggiano.

Last week I bought a local artisan cheese in a "Farmer's Market" here. It's a weekly street market where farmers can come to the city to sell their products without intermediaries. Well, that cheese was a sheep cheese ripened in beer. I still have wet dreams thinking about it.

• Like 3

I'm gonna come off as an absolute plebeian/heretic here but in here (Serbia) we have cheese and then we have a different word for what you guys are describing. So when speaking of "regular" cheese for our understanding, we're speaking of this Srpski beli meki sir u kriškama
and it comes in with a nice amount of what I can only describe as "surutka" (google says it's "whey" as a translation?) which is a refreshing drink as well :D Now this shit is absolutely amazing, and it can range from very mild to very strong (also depends on what type of milk you make it from ofc, goat cheese is absolutely amazing), and these go along really well with any kind of pastry/dough. We even have a pie that we make out of this cheese and my god that is the best thing in existence. This one is not like Greek Feta but we ofc have a feta variant as well :D  Then what you guys are describing we dont quite call cheese, and honestly having tried some of the strong cheeses from France, I'm on Dvd's side, how anyone can eat that stuff (or even worse, fuckin smell it) is beyond me 😂 
For pizza/Pasta Parmesan is awesome (but a bit expensive here :/)  And that's about it, we just call that type of cheese in a different word (that would just translate back to cheese in english, so think of it cheese v2), it's all just in a 1 huge category 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, Noacc said:

Slices of fresh mimolette work wonders, and are my favorite pick for home-made burgers. Although cheddar and other types are fine by me too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slynia said:
8 hours ago, jelom said:

Let me see what do I have on the fridge 🧀

Let me guess... blue cheese right? 😏

You got me this time  🤣 A common mistake for spanish people when translating into english. I wanted to mean "in the fridge".

• Haha 3

I prefer mostly Gouda cheese, in the variation matured and older. 

Maybe not as dry as parmagiano-reggiano because a Gouda this dry is very spicy.

A parmagiano-reggiano is also very tasty, sometimes a camembert or Brie is all I want. 

If I wnat some fresh cheese, it could be a cottage cheese.

Edited by windia
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Il 13/12/2020 in 16:48 , Kenrae ha scritto:

I have the moral obligation to necro this topic because today I tasted this:

https://www.cheese.com/cahills-irish-porter-cheddar/

🥰🥰

I saw this 5 min ago thanks to @I fuck to hear tearsreaction to one of my answers in this topic, and I insta bought this from an online deli shop. I'm not joking, at all.

Kenrae, how do you feel having this new role as a cheese influencer? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Antimon said:

Kenrae, how do you feel having this new role as a cheese influencer? 

Maybe I should start a Youtube or Twitch channel 😂

Last week I bought a Gouda with tomato that's amazing, but it was a farmhouse cheese to a local producer, it can't be bought online.

Tell us what you think about it once you've tasted it :P 

• 2 weeks later...
Il 29/1/2021 in 11:44 , Kenrae ha scritto:

Maybe I should start a Youtube or Twitch channel 😂

Last week I bought a Gouda with tomato that's amazing, but it was a farmhouse cheese to a local producer, it can't be bought online.

Tell us what you think about it once you've tasted it :P 

It arrived yesterday afternoon! And 10/10 would buy again. It goes GREAT with speck. I do not know the availability of speck outside of Italy and Austria, but if you have the chance to buy it and try them together, give them a go

• Like 2

11 minuti fa, jelom ha scritto:

we want photos

heh, it's a little hard this time, since we already finished it 😅 it was a 200g piece of cheese, it was good, and we are in 4. It vanished 😂 There will be a next time, for sure, since we already plan to order it again in the near future

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...