The history of HH

Chthugha

We are coming close to a fifth anniversary of Harem Heroes on Nutaku, which will also be celebrated as the 5th anniversary event on hentaiheroes.com. So I think it would be fun to delve into depth of the game, and describe how the game was back in the days. I started on July 28th of 2016 myself, only 3 days after the inception of the game. In this first post we will take a look at what the game looked like when it started; the primal form of HH.

The creators of the game started very early on in the year of 2016 with creating the haremverse. The oldest post I am able to find about this is this very old post on kinkoid.com about the very first sketch: https://kinkoid.com/news/first-sketch-posted/
Of course this was only the first step, and soon the game would start to form. But as you can see in the profile picture below (account 1 on Nutaku is not available), they already had the framework for accounts early February 2016. Kaelage is of course one of the original creators of HH. Account ID 3 on Nutaku belongs to Roman, one of the other original creators.
image.png.dd6694ed809f2a56e5d02410320c9c58.png

Of course this only means that the basic setup was done back then, but the game was far from ready to be launched.
I will actually encourage you guys to read those first few posts on Kinkoid.com. It shows you the steps they made to get to the first playable product.

Fast forward a couple of months; the game is launched on Nutaku. Well, actually, it's the prelaunch for a lucky few. The official date of the launch is July 26th, not so coincidentally the birthday of Alice Carott, the HH mascot we all know as Bunny. Now at launch the amount of features were limited. We had the first two worlds up to the scroll where you get Agate. The maximum level was 19 at the time, though that would soon change. There was a market. There was pachinko (great pachinko 1x and 10x, epic pachinko 1x and 10x). And you could battle Dark Lord using 2 combativity per battle.

The equipment range was very limited and every equipment had a set increase, unlike today, where you can get multiples of the same equipment in different rarities and with different boosts. For example the Dragon Helmet:
image.png.b47b775dd76d870d39eab4117246db29.png
Every Dragon Helmet was of epic rarity, and they all gave the same boost as you see in the picture.
Dark Lord gave your XP and an item or cash.
3p1lyBE.png

And he could of course give you Sheheramazond, Kimie or Arcana. The full girl, no shard drops. You needed to be lucky to get them, because the amount of fights we had, was even more limited, because our combativity bar was lower (max at 6 I think for level 19), and we needed 2 combativity per fight. Now the way the girl dropped was not to different from how we now see avatars drop from pachinko (the picture is from later, but this is how it looked):
yay.png.a07d5776b417cb8ce405169dba9a8e05.png

A square with a headshot of the girl. The square would all be facing the other side and turn around to show you what you got. Mind you, girls didn't have a rarity back then, and they were all 3* girls. At the start there was a total of 8 girls in the game; Bunny, Juliette, Red Battler and Ankyo, which you got by going through world 1. Agate, which you got by going through world 2, and the three aforementioned girls on Dark Lord.

Now for the pachinko: there was only one way to get kobans for epic pachinko, which was buying them. And in the pachinko were, you might have guessed it, the three girls from Dark Lord. The 1x had a 90 koban cost and the 10x had a 900 koban cost. Those two prices are still the same today on Nutaku. The great pachinko gave us every equipment, booster, gift and/or book in the game. The 1x game had a 3500 cost and the 10x game had a 35000 cost. Yes, the cost was fixed. But that was okay, because no money inflation had happened yet. I will talk more about the great pachinko in a future post though.

One last thing of note: basically everyone I know of that started in the first week, got appointed the hardcore specialty. There was no way to change that yet. There also was no way to attack others yet, so that's okay I guess. And of the 8 girls, 4 were hardcore, 2 were charm and 2 were know-how. So it wasn't all that bad to be hardcore at the very beginning.

In the next post I will dive into the first updates: world 3 is added, along with arena! I will most likely go all the way to October 2016 with the first event ever.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

Arena was basically immediately added to the game, and maybe it already was there from the start. I'd say this might have been the case. I'm just certain that the hometown looked completely differently. The arena fights did cost 1 combativity. So you had to choose between fighting in arena and fighting against Dark Lord or Ninja Spy.
image.png.f0a188d56ce93729536f1d3e3812cf3d.png

Mind you, we even had a timer for the judge, and an overview of what the judge does. Why don't we see this anymore again? Anyway, 1 combativity to fight an opponent. At this point in time it was basically useless.

World 3 was also released pretty quickly after launch. I think it was ready to go at launch, but the first time I see anybody talk about Ninja Village is at the end of July 2016. As was the case at the time, you could only go as far as the scroll giving you Jennie.

But now... who remembers the unlimited amount of special story items that kept dropping from the villain?
http://i.imgur.com/M2wNWkb.png
Man, I'm glad that's no longer happening. That was super annoying.

The battle symbols looked rather differently. For one, there was no defense against your own class, for some reason. Next we see an explosion as attack symbol. We see the shields with the other specialties as defense symbols and we see the four-leaf clover for luck. Luck is what nowadays is called harmony. To be honest, luck is a great name. It pretty much is luck that decides if you will be able to use your special ability. Every special move was the same for every specialty though. Basically what's now the hardcore specialty: an attack boost.
image.png.a25a0d1d7c0f7881432c06d1b01cdee8.png

On august 1st (so about a week after the launch), the harem-battle.club forum got its first dev interaction. They were very happy to be able to communicate with the community early on. Below this we see the very first post from Kinkoid with all kinds of "upcoming features". The leaderboard we will talk about later in this post. Loyalty calendar... yeah, no idea where that idea went. Mini missions are also discussed later in this post. Achievements and challenges walked the same path as the loyalty calendar. And the rest has all been added. They even had the long distant goal of clans/guilds way back at the start of the game. So that's interesting to see. It also announces the 4th world and that they wanted to have 10 worlds by the end of the year. I'll take this as "on first anniversary and not the end of 2016", but even that didn't succeed (8th worlds it was). At this point the team was very small. FAB hadn't joined yet as writer (he started with world 5), and even someone as Jessie wasn't there yet.
image.thumb.png.4623bf9c683ec7b66795b76c1eae9fa5.png

I also just wanted to put this in here...
 image.png.712b0b7a72dc896233e18a5cc89638f6.png
Gotta love Kinkoid. There was an admin server available, and you could basically give yourself unlimited kobans. They actually handled that situation the same day. Banned accounts for abusing it and such. On the same day the wiki was launched on harem-battle.club. That wiki is still here and it's still the place we will refer people to for certain stuff, like battle mechanics.

Early August the first players reached the end of the now infamous scroll "Evil Laboratory". It still stands out as that extremely long and extremely vague scroll you get Jennie from. After that you were blocked by a locked scroll. But the new world had appeared on the map as coming soon, and you could click on it to see a preview:
image.thumb.png.5aac8443a4e146d170cef9ac83b55b30.png

To be honest, this looks great. I wish this was still in place. If you start the game, it would be amazing if you could click on the different worlds to get such a preview of what to expect in the already available worlds.

Also back at the day: this is what your inventory looked like:
image.png.e693d52864f3e578fce03724876eb7bb.png

You had the dots indicating the girls (imagine 600 dots), and you didn't have 1 square of rare panties with a number on it, but just every gift and book taking up their own space. Also, another nice early bug, the girls were inexplicably stuck on level 18. The books didn't give all that much XP, and even if you gave books to them, it wouldn't have been nearly enough to level up this much: ~6850 XP for level 18, over a billion XP for level 19.
http://i.harem-battle.club/images/2016/08/17/Kxgh7EWp.png

I'm not sure why this happened, it might have been because of the level cap raise to level 40.

Early September a lot of things were added. The Tower of Fame made its way to the game. It kept track of one thing only though; your mojo score. You could however select an opponent on the leaderboard and fight that person for mojo. You were no longer depending on the opponents you got in Arena. Player were now also no longer automatically appointed the hardcore specialty. It was a random pick between the three now. And of course, world 4 was released, and with the release of world 4, we also got our very first and for a long time only, permanent pachinko girl; Sporty Noemy.
2-Pachinko.jpg
3-W4.jpg

And yes, it really said 5 girls in the world 4 banner, because Sporty Noemy was released as well. It got me confused at the time, because the world still only offered 4 girls.

Everyone playing on Nutaku knows these banners. They are under the game in the browser.
4-Missions.jpg

Which is also where we would find out about Daily Missions. These were added somewhere around October 2016. It's hard to actually pinpoint it, but it was before the first event ever, and it was our first way to gain some kobans for free. You would get 5 missions every day, and most of them were not that great. You could however get an epic mission, and that epic mission would give you 2, 3 or 4 kobans. So imagine that. You wanted Sporty Noemy. You started out with 100 kobans. That meant you needed 800 more kobans, which was a lot of these missions. It would take absolutely forever, because the epic missions were the rarest ones to get.

World 4 was the first world they released in parts. So by the end of October, we finally got to the scroll which would give us Noemy. Coincidentally, at the same time we got the first ever event: Halloween.
5-Halloween.png

If I remember it corectly, it lasted for 5 days. Starting late in October to actually be live on Halloween and the day after, only to close on November 2nd (do bare in mind that the reset time was 5 AM in Paris time, so it "technically" ended on November 2nd. It started on October 28th. We had Halloween Juliette, available on Dark Pumpkin, and Halloween Kimie and Halloween Housemaid were available in the pachinko. I must say, this event was an absolute nightmare. The drop rate of girls on villains was abominable. Some people had all normal girls, but most people struggled to even get one. My very first drop from a villain was Halloween Juliette, and by all accounts, I was lucky. The picture of it is already in the first post. Only the "whales" would have gotten the other 2 at this point. That said, we did have 5 event missions that all gave some kobans. So that was nice. This was the very first event, and after this they adapted the event. People complained about the RNG, so they introduced the event mission girl for the next one.

I will end this post with another banner. Dang, these were nice back then:
6-W4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Surprised :O 1