[Off-topic] Daylight Saving Time in Europe: Will it really end in 2021?

Kenrae

@windia I don't disagree with your first statement, there, and I could even add that the current sanitary crisis has been and is used as an excuse to implement and enforce quite a few policies that have nothing to do with keeping us safe from the virus (thrown in alongside the legitimate ones, of course), but we are not supposed to have political debates on this forum, so let's not dive deeper into this.

I hear the DST removal has been postponed to who knows when, in the end. I'm not even clear on the official reason, but they don't really need one. "2020" or "covid" can easily serve as a reason for postponing or canceling it, if anyone asks.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

@windia I don't disagree with your first statement, there, and I could even add that the current sanitary crisis has been and is used as an excuse to implement and enforce quite a few policies that have nothing to do with keeping us safe from the virus (thrown in alongside the legitimate ones, of course), but we are not supposed to have political debates on this forum, so let's not dive deeper into this.

I hear the DST removal has been postponed to who knows when, in the end. I'm not even clear on the official reason, but they don't really need one. "2020" or "covid" can easily serve as a reason for postponing or canceling it, if anyone asks.

True, I was too tempted to offer a quick solution.

The last official reason I read about was "each EU country is sovereign about this matter for its own country". Yet the EU commission demands to find a "eu wide" solution because "commerce must not be disturbed". (any thoughts on this reason I supress to avoid political discussions^^)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, windia said:

oh and the current time zones in Europe are effed up due to political reasons. It would make much more sense e.g. if France & Spain join the time zone of Portugal and UK and Germany would be in the same with Poland and stuff. 

UK? Greenwich is there, you know 🤔

27 minutes ago, Kenrae said:

UK? Greenwich is there, you know 🤔

Error on my side!

I talk about this approach: Zeitzonen-4562842c89e18abd.jpeg

description: 

• countries are highlighted to the time zone they currently use, the "sea" is highlighted to the sun's movement hour by hour
  • first pic shows the current situation for normal time
  • 2nd pic shows current situation for summer time
  • 3rd pic shows the proposal due to science

taken from this german article: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Neue-Zeitzonen-fuer-Europa-gemaess-der-Chronobiologie-4354908.html

of course, if Ireland reunites, it would be just red^^

Edited by windia
  • Like 1

You could argue that Ireland and Portugal could choose between "red" and "yellow", where Ireland is probably better in yellow (most people live in that part of the country) and Portugal is better in red (most people live in that part of the country). But that's semantics. This picture exactly shows why I don't want DST time, because then we would live in the western Russia time zone. I already think we should be in UTC+0, but at the very least it's UTC+1. UTC+2 is just absolutely weird.

• Like 1