Mavin x Venam Fan Art!

Hgorithy

Hey everyone, I've been doing some figure drawing and decided to draw one of my favorite ships. I don't have too much experience with figure drawing (please forgive Venam's oddly shaped foot), so any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated :) Enjoy!

Hgorithy-907652-Mavin_x_Venam.thumb.png.759adc95480311db049f606a9066ed6c.png

• Like 6

On 6/5/2021 at 10:16 AM, Hgorithy said:

any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated

Do NOT quit your day job! Sorry to be blunt, but this is honest feedback.

Maybe try opening a DeviantArt account. There's anything and everything over there and even toddler-level sketches somehow garner at least some following as long as it fits within a certain popular niche.

If you're any serious about wanting to draw, try taking lessons, reading a good book or two about basics like anatomy, perspective, proportions, lines, shapes, lighting, coloring, etc. or at the very least stop using other artists drawings as "references". That's terrible practice even for naturally talented artists (they just end up copying all of their favorite artists' habits, including bad ones, and it doesn't help you understand how they actually draw at all). Use photos or, ideally, live models as references instead. You need to develop your ability to observe what you see, notice patterns and shapes, and then figure out how to best reproduce what you see and how you see it on the page. You'll never be able to understand the foundations and assemble the building blocks correctly if you keep trying to make a final drawing in one go.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

Do NOT quit your day job! Sorry to be blunt, but this is honest feedback.

I'm a student right now with a lot of extra time, but I get your point!

19 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

Maybe try opening a DeviantArt account. There's anything and everything over there and even toddler-level sketches somehow garner at least some following as long as it fits within a certain popular niche.

If you're any serious about wanting to draw, try taking lessons, reading a good book or two about basics like anatomy, perspective, proportions, lines, shapes, lighting, coloring, etc. or at the very least stop using other artists drawings as "references". That's terrible practice even for naturally talented artists (they just end up copying all of their favorite artists' habits, including bad ones, and it doesn't help you understand how they actually draw at all). Use photos or, ideally, live models as references instead. You need to develop your ability to observe what you see, notice patterns and shapes, and then figure out how to best reproduce what you see and how you see it on the page. You'll never be able to understand the foundations and assemble the building blocks correctly if you keep trying to make a final drawing in one go.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to brush up more on the basics as I continue forward.

• Thanks 1