Unprofessionalism with a moderator!!

LBAPM

Hello all. I am here to address a moderators unprofessional attitude with what I thought was a bug problem at first with the new Mythic Days contest which I did not have a chance to fully understand because I try to get through everything for the game in the early morning before I go to work. Instead of telling me what is going on they send me this reply insulting me instead of explaining what is going on with the event. Seems like this moderator does not think about how others have to deal with daily life and try and help them!! My transcript from their reply! Insulting people you should be helping is not how to handle business. 

I did 50 performances on Ninja Spy and got nothing for attractions to the Nike girl!!

Do NOT post in Bug reporting (at least for a year or so, assuming you check the wiki and try to get a grasp on basic game mechanics in the meantime). Whining is frowned upon. Posting a pure whine one-liner as a "bug" is absolutely not okay.

Friendly warning because you're new.

If you have more noob questions to ask, first of all put them in actual question format, and post them where they belong, in the section where any and all noob questions can be asked (and are typically kindly answered):

QA questions answers

• Like 1

I also got no shards in a x50 run (there were shards left at that moment), it is RNG, not a bug.

About the moderators, it is true they moderate with too much enthusiasm, giving warnings with ease (and sometimes temporary bans), but it is not an easy position for them, trying to keep the forum rules.

Edited by jelom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For being volunteers, they deal with a lot of rude posts and whiners. However, I have seen many instances where people posted something politely and respectfully but only got their heads chewed off by the mods. @Noacc posted the forum rules

• Personal attacks will be banned on the spot.
  • Do not insult, personally attack, or tell other people to injure themselves. 
  • Stay friendly with all players. Toxic behavior will not be tolerated. 

These rules should be applied to the mods as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager

I've read all the reports, please calm down.

I've spoken with our mods.
You can express enthusiasm, complains, dissatisfaction, and vent even a bit if you wish to. 
(As long as it is done in a constructive way.)

I'm between the hammer and the nail right now; 😔
As jelom said, moding is not an easy position;

Mods are the bridge between players and Kinkoid, but right now I'm the bridge between some offended and mods 😅

Please, to all, be good, I've spoken with the mods.

Now let's not focus too much on the drama.
Guys, please visit again the Mythic days topic, and leave your feedback.

It is very, very important that you leave your feedback.
The changes to Mythic days were 100% made from player's feedback voted in the Mythic days survey. 
We need more info to try and balance things out.

• Thanks 10

@Noacc, Such a person as @DvDivXXX is simply unworthy to be a moderator. This is in all senses a vile creature, which, hiding behind its status with scanty power, is engaged in the fact that it flatters its ego by insulting, trolling and mocking people only on the basis of the fact that he is a "moderator" and supposedly understands the game better, and therefore has the right to condescending - an arrogant attitude towards those who, perhaps, have recently joined the community and are just trying to understand what and how to do, but then this "the supreme celestial of the forum" appears and gives out his traditional expression with something like this "no need to write your own in this thread stupid nuba questions go from here to hell because you don’t understand anything and generally stupid, and I’m so smart and beautiful I’ll paint myself on your background so that everyone would read this message and appreciate my coolness and the status of a great moderator, but if I do not for anything I am not responsible, I am generally a simple player, although I am the king of the forum, but I do not care about the rules of this forum, because I have a special atmosphere here and if you are with anything you don't agree, get out of here, you don't belong here, and so on. " Yes, this is of course sarcasm and exaggeration, but the meaning is exactly the same every time - people who made mistakes because they did not understand something do not try to help and explain, and preferably somehow gently and imperceptibly, on the contrary, they try to insult and humiliate them as loudly, aggressively and publicly as possible. Demonstratively sticking out their mistakes for all to see.

And it's time to understand - a moderator and an ordinary player are two different things. It does not matter whether it is an employee or a simple volunteer. And whether you like it or not, this is the face of the company by which it is judged, moreover, it is with such "moderators" that the new player first of all encounters when he gets to the forum and does something wrong. And he will not understand all the intricacies of relationships and statuses - when the very smallest functionary you come across virtually spits in your face, this attitude will spread to everyone else. You cannot sit on two chairs - if you are an ordinary user, then please can comment, criticize, tease and so on. And if you are a moderator, then keep your mouth shut in relation to other people, you are nothing more than a technical function that corrects user errors as quickly, correctly and strictly as possible in accordance with the points of the forum rules, and your opinion about who is how smart or not is, a beginner or no, right or wrong, keep it completely to yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Hearts 1

13 hours ago, Methos2 said:

@Noacc posted the forum rules

These rules should be applied to the mods as well.

As I've already told many forum users over time (and Slynia did the same, among others) these are closer to overall guidelines on what you shouldn't do. Under no circumstances does any moderator or community manager EVER care about people quoting this or that line from that post Noacc quickly put together just to give a general idea and a non-exhaustive list of how we expect people to behave or not behave on this forum.

What really matters has a lot more to do with context and intentions than with "it's on the naughty list" or not. It's very possible to act like a complete asshole while carefully bypassing any rule, just like it's very possible to act very kindly and helpfully while technically "breaking" this or that "rule". That's kind of obvious, but if all we cared about was to check people's posts against "the list", then a simple algorithm would "moderate" the forum instead of actual human beings (which I've seen in practice IRL and is always a freaking disaster, trust me).

5 hours ago, Lexian said:

Such a person as @DvDivXXX is simply unworthy to be a moderator. This is in all senses a vile creature, which, hiding behind its status with scanty power, is engaged in the fact that it flatters its ego by insulting, trolling and mocking people only on the basis of the fact that he is a "moderator" and supposedly understands the game better, and therefore has the right to condescending [...............]

I've actually reported that post of yours so that another mod or @Noacc can handle it as this is exactly the type of personal attack and delirious abuse that I would absolutely nuke on sight if it were against anyone else. Since I'm the target of your character assassination attempt, however, I won't moderate it myself, because that's how we do things around here (yeah, sorry if that's not vile enough to fit the fictional villain you decided to paint me as).

The moderators some of you guys love to hate, also happen to be very active forum members, very good and knowledgeable players of this game, and people who care a lot and tend to help out others a lot, even though it's not technically a part of our duties as forum mods here. And it's not a coincidence either, we've been offered a mod gig in no small part because of those qualities. I had been active on this forum for over a year before I became a mod, and although the way a number of people treat me has drastically changed overnight when that happened, I didn't change. I just moderate a lot of stuff on top of maintaining my regular activities as a member of this community. Including a whole lot of hostile crap like the one you're flinging my way here.

One thing you clearly don't seem to know is that only you (and us mods, and obviously also Kinkoid staff) can actually read the warnings we send you on your forum profile. They are not "public" as you incorrectly assume. Also, many players don't have a clue they have a warning to read, because the forum doesn't have a notification system for that. That's why I sometimes "call out" someone "publicly" to tell them they should check their own profile. It's just about the opposite of your "vile creature" narrative.

Edit: While I'm at it, I'll bust another myth: there is actually no direct or private message system on this forum. So no, we cannot communicate with anyone in private via the forum, except through reports and warnings.

5 hours ago, Lexian said:

And it's time to understand - a moderator

Let me stop you right there. It's time to understand, yes. A moderator of Kinkoid's forum has a specific role that you don't know about and don't have a say in. It doesn't matter what you think you know or what you imagine. It doesn't matter if you've known people who have moderated other forums for other companies and on other topics, or even if you're a moderator somewhere else yourself. You're not a moderator here, and you don't know what that role entails. It's not your place or any other user's place to preach about that. Only Kinkoid employees, especially the Community Manager who entrusted us with this specific task, know and have a say in what they expect of us. It is inappropriate and extremely arrogant for anyone else to open their big loud mouth about this. And that's a trend that needs to stop.

@DvDivXXX, I read your reply in the other thread. A pity that this thread came later or I would had put here that post you removed. Thanks for your words, anyway.

I am not on Discord at the moment (no time, damn) but just in the last days, after discovering that my oldest friend in real life switched to Discord quite a bit of time ago, together with the discovery that other friends from other contests did the same, made me think that sooner or later I will try to open the site to verify if it works properly on my old Windows XP PC (alas, posed that things continue to go in the right direction in my personal life, probably I will anyway need more than another year before I will be able to upgrade my system). That said, I don't have the slightest idea of how Discord works exactly, for example I don't know if the subscription is language dependent, in which case (given what I said above) I would be naturally directed towards the Italian section. Moreover, if I am not wrong Discord allows voice chats, and I don't know if cuffs and microphone (which I don't own) are required for the subscription even if you normally don't use voice chats. This just to give you some infos about my situation.

And @Noacc, thank you for your "bridge" role. Two thumbs up. 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

We all came here for fun. No one deserves to be abused or insulted for no apparent reason. I don't completely agree with the characterization in @LBAPM and @Lexian posts, but the general message is on points. @DvDivXXX, you are a knowledgeable player. I like many of your posts when you offer genuine advice. I would have clicked like on many more (not that anyone cares about the like counter) if you didn't throw in unnecessary insult or condescending tone with your replies especially to newbies. Newbies ask trivial questions and assume things that may be wrong. Everyone goes through that phase. It is not an offense to be newbies. For starter, please stop calling newbies the derogatory term noobs. Noob is a slang for unskilled beginner who is a nuisance and an annoyance which is apparently how you view them. Noob is not a synonym to newbie. If you truly think they mean the same thing, there is no reason why you can't call them newbies from now on.

9 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

Only Kinkoid employees, especially the Community Manager who entrusted us with this specific task, know and have a say in what they expect of us.

@Noacc corrects me if I am wrong. I'm pretty sure that antagonizing users is not one of moderator tasks.

We get it, being moderator isn't easy. There are rude posters who deserves moderation or even put in their place. Even I wanted to flip them off just by reading their posts sometime. There is also time when the mods are overwhelmed with uproar in the forum. Such as what we saw yesterday, I could feel the frustration from the mods posts. But that is not what I am talking about here. I am referring to the routine, unprovoked insult by the mod. If questions and ideas are not welcomed from anyone who is not a regular, Kinkoid may as well as make the forum private.

Edited by Methos2
  • Like 3

I can understand it is hard to be a moderator. But moderators need to be understanding and find out what the issue is. I do not get on the forum that much and not sure where to make reports on my problems or questions, and at first I did not get a chance to read what the Mythic contest was about because I was getting ready for work and trying to get through all the aspects of the game play. and did not know at the time of how the contest was working. Anyone that chooses to be a moderator here that is on you especially if they are getting paid (not sure if they get paid or not.) I can understand being a moderator, and it can be frustrating, but to do the the job as a moderator you have to deal with others frustrations. And by insulting others is a sure fire way to have people quit the game. And being a player that has invested a lot of money in this game it is a fact that could make me quit if I am getting insulted and called a whiner and noob!! And his "Friendly warning because you're new." is and can be taken as a threat to most people. I can understand if someone comes across as very rude and being an asshole then yeah maybe put them in their place, but otherwise take a more professional approach at dealing with others problems. My issue at the time was a fact that I did not understand what was going on because I was in a rush situation trying to get through all game aspects and did not know the shard limit. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Methos2 said:

For starter, please stop calling newbies the derogatory term noobs.

3 hours ago, LBAPM said:

getting insulted and called a whiner and noob!!

You guys are strongly confirming what I already said, here (while from your perspective, you feel like you're proving me wrong). You're focusing like crazy on the tiniest of semantics details in my posts rather than seeing the big picture (and maybe asking yourselves if the few specific words you think are "insults" actually are insults in general, and if I'm meaning them as insults in particular).

I'm a really old and old-school gamer. In my experience not just in this game but in many other gaming communities, "noob" is only ever perceived or used as an insult by angry kids (mostly on real-time coop games like MOBAs and shooters) who tend to use it completely out of context. They will throw a barrage of random actually offensive terms at anyone, especially their own teammates, and often use "noob" as if it meant "idiot". The same type of stupid angry kiddos will also use a lot of racist, sexist and otherwise terrible terms out of the blue. Because they're young, stupid and mean. It's a misuse of the term. It is NOT what "noob" actually means for the gaming community at large. And it is DEFINITELY never how I mean it. Noob is actually a friendlier term than "newbie" where I come from, and it also has the important nuance that it more specifically refers to someone's lack of knowledge rather than how long they've been playing. There are veterans who are complete noobs in this game, and "newbie", actually just meaning "new player" wouldn't be accurate to qualify them. I'm a noob in many other areas myself, we all are. You start out as a noob in any given domain you're brand-new to. It's not an insult, it's a statement, and I actually mean it in a neutral or sometimes even friendly way.

ALSO, I much more often use noob as an adjective rather than a noun. A noob question is something I often say. Anyone can ask a noob question, present company included.

As for whiner, seriously? How touchy are you to need multiple exclamation marks and get your panties in a twist for being called out on whining when you're obviously whining? That's an "insult" to you? Man, I hope no one actually ever insults you, because you might have a nervous breakdown over it.

I'm actually late for an important meeting IRL now... So I won't elaborate more this morning. But I'll quote this quickly:

4 hours ago, LBAPM said:

"Friendly warning because you're new." is and can be taken as a threat to most people.

That's on you for being insanely touchy, man. This is a very nice gesture and it's phrased in a perfectly polite and friendly manner. If you take this as a "threat" you need to speak with your therapist about it. Not to me. What this actually means is "normally, I would give a formal warning with a penalty to someone making a fake bug report, but I'll cut you some slack because you're new to the forum and you're not aware what you just did is normally worthy of a formal warning". I'm being NICE to you. And you perceive it as a "threat"... I also actually helped you out by giving you a link to where you could ask that question and actually get the info you were looking for. But never mind that, I "insulted you" and "threatened you" in your head. That's not on me, sorry. That's on you.

• Noacc locked this topic