​ ❓💥 ​Q&A with the Sandman​ ​ 💥❓ ​

Noacc

• Community Manager

Q&A FB (3).png

Happy Anniversary, players!

It's time we invited over someone special that you haven't heard from since our last anniversary!
Yes, that's no other but Kinkoid’s own software engineer, architect and developer, resident Dungeon Master and an overall amazing guy: Sandman!

He will answer all of your questions as long as you don't use him as Customer Support.

Join the Sandman this Thursday (5th August) at 5:30 pm UTC+2 on discord! The session will be 45 min and will be in English!

You won’t need headphones for this one: it will all be written in the Q&A channel: https://discord.gg/A3txczdMwx !

Dream on... with Sandman!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Strange that no one has posted here some question to be made during the Q&A session. Here are mine if someone is so kind as to write them:

- Points awarded in league. We have passed from 3 to 13 for a loss and 16 to 25 points for a win to just 4 values: 3, 13, 15 and 25, coupled with opponent not restricted critical hits. Could the old point system be used again?

- Could the damage done in each round of battle be made with a colour more conspicuous? Now it is not very visible. Also slow the pace of the battle, now rounds are too fast and we cannot follow it. And please move the skip button below again.

- A great effort has been made changing the interface and now it doesn't force the download of all images (icons and avatars of the girls) in most parts of the game and allows the browser to cache them and playing a lot smoother, except in the seasons battle screen where 1600 objects and 100 MB of data are force-downloaded every time we access it. Are there plans to optimize the caching of images in this part of the game too?

- Now girls are a lot weaker when fighting champions, making very difficult to beat them even if being a high level player (in compensation the 7 girls team has made now easy to beat last villains). Is that issue been taken in consideration for a rebalance?

- Kobans rewards in season have been reduced. Was that intended?

- When will be mythic gifts and books be awarded outside of the market?

• Like 7

I understand that the Q&A will be in discord, but I cant participate, so if someone is looking for some questions, here are few.

To add to the extensive list by jelom:

- Any plans of actually utilizing the test server as a test server? You have a very engaged player base, which always provides valuable feedback and instead of utilizing it to hunt bugs for you, you are (purposefully or not) ignoring all user feedback.

- Do you think the communication between the team and the player can be improved? (players are wondering whether some of the latest changes are even intended or not)

And to throw in few technical Qs from the top of my head:

- Right now you have a very simple stack - php backend and custom made, jquery-based frontend. Any plans to change that? Can you elaborate more on some of the technologies you use - code versioning, CI/CD, how do you release (manually or automated), do you run bare metal or use some virtualization/containerization (docker/k8s)? How do you do autoscaling (and do you even have autoscaling)?

- What is your unit test coverage? Do you have an automated test suite? What is the highest order of tests you have (unit/component/UI)?

- How do you do bug tracking?

- Do you have different codebases for the 3 products (hentai, gay, comix) or do they share a codebase and only the config is different? If the codebase is different, how do you develop features for the different products? Just cherry-picking commits left and right?

• Like 4

(I thought questions have to be posted in discord)

With fundemental changes like the battle system.

• I can assume you as developer(s) are aware of all side effects?
    • there is tiny unimportant stuff like the league intro/help text: it says that I get 3 points for winning in league and 1 point for loosing...
  • Does the community managers get all info about changes & side effects and make their own "reductions" or do you give them only a reduced list of changes?
    • Examples:
    • I failed to read about changed champion fight values. (now: 5 times the girl's value of the champion's class) 
    • I failed to read about market stat inaccurancy: the tooltip is now wrong as my class gives me +4 in endurance and both other stats give me +0.5 in harmony
      • seems to be valid for equipment as well
      • before it was as it is still shown: main stat = +5 in endurance and 2nd stat = +2 in endurance and 3rd stat = +0.5 in harmony
      • I guess it is due to more classlessness as the dominance scheme got replaced
      • (the gain per level up is still 9, 7, 5)
  • Are there any plans that the cm will inform about all changes or is it company's believe that a game has to be discovered again and again in all notions?
    • I understand that not all calculations will be open. Yet the last stat change (30/level) was communicated quite clear)
  • Changes "under the hood" are usually invisible to players yet need lots of time & effort
    • Will there be more news about it that there is at least a chance to see the unseen? 
      • e.g. the new login mechanism was announced, 
      • the faster clicking in boss battles (after fighting one I end up in fighting screen for next fight) is a very good one but not written down
      • and many other changes that cannot at least be honoured in patch notes while they are necessary
  • Do you scroll through the forum for suggestions or just take into concern what is delivered via google forms?
  • How much is your influence when it comes to feature debate (what it does and prio) or bug prioritizing?
  • Personal: how much time do you take to play (=without godmode) the game rather testing it?
Edited by windia
  • Like 3

(none of the questions asked here will necessarily be answered)

So people are aware, based on the previous q&a, lots of Sandman's answers were about technical possibility. He doesn't make game design decisions, so questions about things like that aren't likely to get answers unless his role has changed significantly.

Here's a couple of examples for people to get an idea

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, jelom said:

Strange that no one has posted here some question to be made during the Q&A session.

Well, the thread was locked until yesterday. Mystery solved. ^^

Thanks for the heads-up on Sandman's role, George. I think he might be better suited than Rosso to address and take feedback or advice about technical issues like the insanely long loading times due to non-optimized code and many unnecessary queries to the server for many features that shouldn't require them (or at least it shouldn't need to reload your entire collection for a fight that involves a tiny fraction of it, or to reload your entire collection every single time you go from one page to another in the Harem).

Perhaps he could do something (or at least escalate the idea) about the impractical interface for some frequently used features, as well. Like the really unnecessary back and forth between the Harem and Market pages when we're upgrading a girl's stars, or the "Perform", "Skip" and "Ok" buttons not being aligned for faster and easier clicking during fights (which was recently made way worse with the new "animations" moving the Skip button all the way up the top of the screen while leaving the other two buttons at the bottom). Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

Well, the thread was locked until yesterday. Mystery solved. ^^

Thanks for the heads-up on Sandman's role, George. I think he might be better suited than Rosso to address and take feedback or advice about technical issues like the insanely long loading times due to non-optimized code and many unnecessary queries to the server for many features that shouldn't require them (or at least it shouldn't need to reload your entire collection for a fight that involves a tiny fraction of it, or to reload your entire collection every single time you go from one page to another in the Harem).

Perhaps he could do something (or at least escalate the idea) about the impractical interface for some frequently used features, as well. Like the really unnecessary back and forth between the Harem and Market pages when we're upgrading a girl's stars, or the "Perform", "Skip" and "Ok" buttons not being aligned for faster and easier clicking during fights (which was recently made way worse with the new "animations" moving the Skip button all the way up the top of the screen while leaving the other two buttons at the bottom). Fingers crossed.

Also, for everything numbers related, he should know if it's by design or a bug, even if he's not the one having the final call. For example, the new league point system.

By the way, a Tech Lead is supposed to do more than just "coding what others design", even more so in the videogame industry. If he's only doing that then that's a problem they have in how they work.

4 minutes ago, Kenrae said:

By the way, a Tech Lead is supposed to do more than just "coding what others design",

I dumbed it down, because when we first got a Q&A with him last year, lots of people interpreted it as him being part of game design, picking the numbers ect. His scope is obviously more, but a lot of that is hardly the kind of thing the average player of the game will comprehend (or at least I certainly didn't last year)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 430i said:

One more idea for a technical question, if someone wants to ask it in discord: How do you do the RNG? Just invoke rand() and call it a day or do you use a crypto lib with custom seeds etc...

I'd bet a beer it's just rand :D.

Magrat: Hey heroes, We are starting in a few minutes. The channels is ready for your questions.

Q: I started playing HH more than 4 years ago because Kinkoid was different from the big studios from Russia such as Hooligapps and others that focus on money-grabbing tricks instead of having a good background story for their games.  Recently, Kindoid started copying these dirty tricks by adding more events, and more pay-to-win features that require the players to compete against each other to grab some limited resources such as the mythic girls or the club champions.  Does Kinkoid intend to copy the bigger studios and add more pay-to-win features or will Kinkoid focus on the story and reduce the competition between players?
Magrat: We added more events because while our new players had a lot of things to do and a lot of story to catch up with, the older players were getting bored with the same events and not a lot of new girls. So we decided to update the events and to give all the players things to do while waiting for a new quest and a new story. What you are describing as a dirty trick is the reason why others are playing our games. And yes, we will always be focused on the story and give you lots of quality fun entertainment for free.

Q: (long question split into parts) A) Currently the harem is very long to load ~10sec for ~600+ girls on a standard computer, 30sec+ for some (currently there is 840+ girls in the game). There's also a lot of back and forth going on between the Market and Harem pages, multiplying the load time. 1) Do you have any project to decrease the harem loading time ? If so, when do you plan to do it? 2) What do you think is the issue for the harem loading time ? How could it be fixed? 3) I think the issue is the many many JQuery find calls (mainly due to checkSalaryState), as well as potentially lots of DOM reflow. Do you agree with it?
Sandman: We are aware of the issues with the Harem, the issues are multiple. We have a long term project for migrating our front-end tech stack which will fix a lot of them, however as we are not stopping development of the game in the meantime, I cannot give you a precise ETA. You should get more news about this in the following months.

Q: It's not really a question but it will change a bit. We often criticize bugs and too quick changes. For once, I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for the return of the POA girls, it's a nice surprise. Thank you for the market in 6 hours. And thank you for the fluidity of the PvP combat (whether you like its aesthetic or not).
Magrat: We've had so much criticism  for the last few weeks - some of it totally deserved, of course, so it's really nice and refreshing to get a thank you. ❤️ Thank you for sharing.
Sandman: Thank you, I will be sure to bring this to our next production meeting ❤️

Q: B) Often, at each actions, the page is reloaded. This adds more HTML queries and lot of recomputations. 1) I can understand it for legacy code, but why is it the case for the Places of Powers? What is the need to reload the page when, e.g. claiming a reward from a Place of Powers? 2) Do you have any projects to prevent pages reloading, and instead fetching the HTML once, and updating it through AJAX queries?
Sandman: 1) I'm unaware of the constraints forcing us to do this. Legacy is certainly a factor, but most likely not the only one. 2) See my previous answer about changing our front-end tech stack, this should be covered with that project.

Q: We see vague descriptions of "optimisation" performed on a feature mentioned in a patch note. Is it possible for a more detailed changelog of these kinds of changes, so that we can better see what optimisations have been done? (separate from the patch notes if not bothering casual players with technical details is a concern)
I'd love it if we could give your hard work more direct appreciation by actually knowing when something is done.
Magrat: We can certainly try to give you more details in the patch notes. We just have noticed that most players prefer shorter notes.
Sandman: Possible certainly. Our community team is however not tech savvy and we try to spare them the boring details in general, they need all their energy for you guys :slight_smile:

Q: C) Currently the REST API is really dirty, sending HTML instead of JSON. Making a huge cost on the loading time and payload. 1) Do you have any projects to fix it ? If so, when do you plan to do it? 2) Modifications can be easily done on the client, what about the server-side ? Does the current server code enables to send JSON instead of HTML easily?
Sandman: I'm unsure what you are calling the rest api, we have an api used for centralizing critical systems (such as authentication for example) however it is not RESTful. 2) Highly depends on what specific feature you are talking about. Our tech team is constantly refactoring legacy code as well as developing new features. This refactoring work will continue, aiming to allow us to make progressively easier modification and cleaner code over time.

Q: D) The HH++ script provides great additions to the game GUI, some of them that should have been implemented by KK (e.g. filters on the harem for the new B.D.S.M. feature).
1) Do you know this script? 2) Do you plan to integrate some of its features to the game? 3) Do you test your updates on it to see if there is any break, to then warn the script maintainers (Tom208/Numbers)?
Sandman: 1) I am aware of this script although I have not personally seen it. 2) I am unaware of such a project but if would not be surprised if some of the key features will be or have been reviewed by our game design team at some point and eventually enter our production pipeline. 3) No, this is a third party script. We are trying to fix other issues with our testing processes and cannot be responsible for maintaining compatibility of a tool we have not coded.

Q: While I agree that some events are good for the newer players, my question was mostly about the features that force the players to compete against each other for a limited pool of rewards (e.g., limited shards for mythic girls). This is what I called "dirty tricks" that some bigger studios were (ab)using and that I was hoping that Kinkoid would avoid.  Lots of time-limited promotions is another kind of money-grabbing trick.  So my question was about whether Kinkoind intents to copy more of these features, or on the contrary stay away from these and prove that it is still possible for a studio to be profitable without using these tricks.
Magrat: Our immediate future plans are connected mostly with the BDSM. Again , you don't need to compete to get the story or the girls. This feature is for the players who want to compete. And we will be expanding the feature in the next few months.

Q: Hi Sandman. This was actually put forward at one of the QAs with Rosso but I think the question was misunderstood/Rosso didn't know the answer. I don't know if this is something you'll know either but figured I'd take a shot. When BDSM was introduced, one of the changes was to the points awarded per battle in the league. Before, we could get anywhere in the range of 3-13 points if we lost, and 16-25 if we won, depending on how much Ego the opponent or us had left at the end. 
Now, we can only get 3, 13, 15 or 25 points depending on our opponents or our own remaining Ego, depending on who won. Was this intentional, at least as far as your side of things is concerned? If yes, and it was a choice from game design to alter it, feedback (probably for Magrat here) is that it's not very good because it removes a lot of variability in the scores, and makes who got the most points at the end of the league rather reliant on RNG.
Magrat: I will forward your question to Game Design.
Sandman: I don't know if this was intentional but it's entirely possible. Here's what I can tell you: The BDSM updates is actually a huge project and has had to be broken down into parts. It is part of a general effort to revamp battle mechanics to make them more fun and strategic. However because the changes have been broken down, it's entirely possible for some pieces to not make sense quite yet, or even to be adjusted as the next pieces come in.

Q: does anyone in KK play this game [HH] competitively ? or at all ?
Magrat: most of us play, yes. and we have a league of our own. 😄

Q: how will this game processing in the future are there any plans for 21/22 ?
Magrat: We will be elaborating on the BDSM- a lot more features to come. And yes, a filter is one of them. We are working on improving the design and the UX, improving the mobile version.. improving the game while never stopping to release new thrilling content and new sexy girls.
Sandman: I'm not sure I understand the question. We have plenty of plans or the future, and a backlog full of your ideas and ours.

Q: Will it be possible one day to buy dating tokens? A lot of new players struggle to keep up with the girls' release pace and only get a few shards each time. And there are not enough tokens to acquire them afterwards.
Magrat: The whole point of the dating tokens is to catch up on the shards that you've missed. So if you want to buy things you can just skip the whole dating tokens and get cards/bundles with Kobans and get the girls directly.
Sandman: No clue. As @Magrat Kinkoid has mentionned it is unlikely.

Q: E) From what I see from the code and the updates, it makes me wonder: 1) Does your boss gives you enough time to do what you have to do? 2) Do you use GIT? 3) Do you use a CI/CD pipeline? 4) Do you use Webpack (that can be used to minimify ressources)? 5) Do you use Typescript (that can help to prevent bugs)? 6) Do you test your code before pushing it to the test server? 7) Do you read the test server feedbacks about the bugs they found ? Why some updates are not delayed when there is major known bugs? 😎 Why the league scores weren't fixed during the x15 battles bug ? It was possible and really easy to fix them, just by taking the mean score per battles, then by removing the mean for each extra battles.
Sandman: 1) Responsability for botched releases is shared. We have a relatively flat company structure and multiple small teams working together to make Kinkoid. The balance between a constant production need, updates, and good dev practices is often hard to find. That being said, dev practices and production processes are improving over time, despite what the last few releases are showing outwardly. 2) Yes 3) Yes, but not currently for game features. Currently this is the case only for critical systems that have been abstracted into service oriented API 4) Yes 5) It is part of our front-end tech stack migration mentionned earlier 6) Yes, however as mentionned previously there are issues with our testing processes we are working on 7) Yes. See above, this is actually part of our testing process issues. There are sometimes also issues that are deemed non critical and still released but that we plan a fix for quickly after release if we can. 😎 Really easy is relative when you're talking about this amount of data. While in an individual league you can only see 100-ish opponents there are actually around 100k players playing leagues each with their battle history. It might have been possible to fix scores but it would have been too time consuming, taking away from features in production, and so we chose to compensate players instead. Your solution is a bit too simplistic for the way the leagues are designed unfortunately.

Q: F) Patreon rewards are not given automatically, making more work for Noacc. 1) Why isn't it automated through a very simple CRON task? 2) Why the monthly card we get each month have only 30 days, making it expires one day too soon on 31-days months (or more when the 1st is during the weekend)?
Sandman: 1) Cron can't cut it here, we do have a tooling project currently under development to liberate our one and only Noacc from this burden however. 2) I don't know

Q: Does Kinkoid intend to copy the bigger studios and add more pay-to-win features or will Kinkoid focus on the story and reduce the competition between players?
Sandman: We are not bigger studios. The story and content production is at all times one of our top priorities. About competition between players, this is up to personal taste I would say. We have parts of the game that encourage competition, and parts of the game that are more content oriented and chill as our playerbase is pretty diverse.

Q: Is the market update from 8h to 6h a response to our concerns about the mythical items? They are really too expensive compared to manual refills ...
Magrat: yes, it is.
Sandman: Yes. It is.

Q: Will the problem with getting kicked out of your account every 8 hours be fixed? What is the difficulty in increasing the session time by a couple of hundred times, so that it is the same as before?
Sandman: I'm not sure I understand the issue you are experiencing. We do have occasional session drop issues reported I believe, however they are extremely hard to reproduce and therefor debug, we still try once in a while. You are correct that increasing session would be easy, I'm not sure it would fix the issue you are talking about.

Q: In regard to HH test server, are there any plans to change how it works. right now it feels like we have to play the game twice if we want to test new features. since you start with nearly nothing on the test server it’s difficult for many people to justify spending that much time on gather the resources necessary to be able to test the features properly. would it be possible to copy progress from the main account every few months to the test server for players that opt in for it? this would also allow a resetting of the test server every few months when the copies are made, and it would remove any permanent only-test server players.
Sandman: The test server is meant to provide us with different perspectives of players to a feature. This includes newer players. Copying progress would definitely be a time consuming project that is unlikely to be prioritised over a feature improvement or a new feature.

Q: In previous Q&As, the question was asked whether Mythic girls could be available through other means than MD/MDR. Rosso mentioned technical constraints on this but didn't feel comfortable giving an answer. Are these technical constraints something you're able to elaborate on?
Sandman: Unfortunately not, I was not a part of the mythics girls project.

Q: Are you exploring other technologies than Unity for future games?  Or are you putting that on hold for the moment?  (Note that I love Hentai Clicker even if it is "heavier" than it should be.)
Sandman: The technologies we are exploring are currently all web-based. Unity is not an expertise we will continue to explore as the experience was quite painful for the entire studio. We do love the Clicker as well much like a parent would love a child, no matter it's flaws. Which is the only reason it is still alive, even if development is frozen.

Q: Seems to me game is suffering from feature creep (just add in new systems, which are more likely to be monetized), while old issues are just left to rot (the harem loading issue is the particular elephant in the room). Would you like to go back and cleanup/fix old code, and is it the case that additional features are preventing you from doing this?
Sandman: This one is complicated question. Of course we want to go clean up/fix old code however some of the code entropy that has happened over the last 5 years is quite extensive, and it would be unreasonable for us to expect you guys to wait months for the next visible update. So we compromise, we do progressive refactors whenever we update existing features and are more strict in enforcing certain coding standards in newer features.

Q: These are questions more related to girls introductions: 1) Right now in the game are more epic/legendary girls than any other category, do you plan to make more common (except 1 star common) and rare girls? Or at least increase the amount of money we can get from 3 stars legendaries? 2) Since the sex chaos toys affect only the were-animals and finalmecia is a were-cat, there are possibilities that we can see a golden finalmecia? At least in the history (like after stealing them or idk) 3) For mythic days can be introduced a mythic version of albane, the demonette mala kharney (or even her mom) and chisato hasegawa from Shinmai Mao no Testament? (The last one is a goddess so she'd fit the mythuc status perfectly). 
Sandman: 1) These are all game design questions I am un-equipped to answer. 2) This one is a question for our content team, it's possible, but they don't let me peak. 3) Also more questions for our content team, producing the girls. Sorry I can't give you specific answers here.

Q: Before replacing the authentication system, I could play without seeing the login screen for months. Now I see him regularly 2 times a day. This is not an accidental logout. Each time this happens after a certain time after entering, regardless of activity.
Sandman: Ah, I see. This is a security feature I believe, in addition to helping for basic anti-cheat purposes. I don't think there are currently plans to change this. Being a web based game and going passed a certain scale of playerbase, we have to be quite serious about this.

Q: How difficult would it be for you to separate out requirements for unlocking the hentai scenes for girls from the requirements needed to make them strong in PvP? Is it feasible with how they're tied together at the moment?
Sandman: I can't say for certain without looking at some code. Given that the affection scenes for girls are part of the first mechanics implemented, it's probably fair to assume it would be pretty difficult.

Q: About two years ago (I don't remember when exactly), Rosso stated that eventually all girls would get 5 stars.  This plan has changed, as we are getting more girls or more variants of existing girls instead of adding more stars to existing girls.  Will this stay like this?  Especially for the 1-star girls, will they be permanently just taking space in the harem without being useful, or is there any plan to add 2 or 4 stars in the future to these 1-star girls?
Sandman: I believe that there are still plans for the 1-star girls. I am unaware of the specifics unfortunately.

Q: For the history it can be introduced something to navigate faster after we have completed the quest? That way it'd be easier to rewatch a specific scene.
Sandman: If you have an idea would like to suggest please feel free to use this form: https://forms.gle/ysU5FDjtuYFxjQCa8 We check all answers, but please be patient, while you may not always see it, we are always working to bring you more positive sexy entertainment.

Magrat: That's all from the Sandman. :xthanks:  Thank you for your questions. ❤️ Feel free to let me know who else would you like to have for our next Q and A sessions. 💝
Sandman: Interesting questions. I hope I was able to bring you a bit of insight into the behind the scenes. Love you all, seeya next time 😘 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

I'm gonna read this carefully next for now i jumped straight to the stars point: i do not mind having the 1 start girls, i always have seen them like a tease or a bit of foreplay (plus they are very well done, at least the ones that I've dropped so far), but i was hoping to know if the plan to upgrade the girls would be still in progress or considered... I mean i had some 3 stars that i would have gladly see to be upgraded to 5 😊, so i was hoping that one day the gears would start moving again...... A bit sad for now 😭

7 hours ago, Xemnas said:

I'm gonna read this carefully next for now i jumped straight to the stars point: i do not mind having the 1 start girls, i always have seen them like a tease or a bit of foreplay (plus they are very well done, at least the ones that I've dropped so far), but i was hoping to know if the plan to upgrade the girls would be still in progress or considered... I mean i had some 3 stars that i would have gladly see to be upgraded to 5 😊, so i was hoping that one day the gears would start moving again...... A bit sad for now 😭

Agreed with the girl upgrades.  Lupa becoming 5 stars is long overdue (Ironically I say this after she got a Mythic variant).

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:33 PM, FinderKeeper said:

Q: Is the market update from 8h to 6h a response to our concerns about the mythical items? They are really too expensive compared to manual refills ...
Magrat: yes, it is.
Sandman: Yes. It is.

That's nice, but you guys forgot to also reduce the price of market refresh accordingly (from 42/7 kobans to 36/6, as we're now paying too much for just 6 items instead of 8).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm grateful that Mr. Sandman, unlike many others, provided some honest answers and revealed some ugly truth (bug like League exploit deemed non critical and still released; compensating instead of fixing/punishing League exploiters to save time; SSO forced logouts being a security feature; other small things I already forgot). Thank you for that!

What you are describing as a dirty trick is the reason why others are playing our games.

Yes, that's the whole point of using dirty tricks.

• Like 1

• Noacc unpinned and unfeatured this topic