**Regarding the Big Update currently going on **

holymolly

7 minutes ago, jelom said:

If the problem is a corrupted database then we have to wait a bit for a backup to be restored.

the DB was obviously not the issue but wrong values caused by bug would have been saved to DB, so it would be corrupted now.
idk what DB they use and if they have full transactional history so they can do explicit rollback, or have to restore some backup.
i also don't know how often they do backup... worst case scenario would be, we are all back in time at when last backup was done.
(but this also means you would get back kobans or ymen spent for contests)
i just hope they can do real time rollback to right before the bug appeared

• Haha 1

il y a 6 minutes, Gotaku a dit :

I wonder if it was a specific server that got messed up, because both my games were perfectly fine.

Same for me. I passed an affection grade for a girl, used many tickets against a champion and used all my energy in quests in HH. And I collected my money and made my 15 fights in CxH. Everything was normal on both.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Kaitana said:

Everything was normal on both.

Okay, so if you're indeed playing on one of the standalone servers (I have no idea if this bug also happened on Nutaku and other platforms with their own separate servers for Kinkoid games, but that would be primarily for the other platforms' support to handle for now)... We know that this insanely game-breaking bug might not have affected ALL players. It's hardly a reason not to shut everything down ASAP before even more damage gets done, though.

in this case, the bug costs a lot of monney for the owners - THIS IS TO FIX IMEDIATE.

if an bug is "only" disturbing the players and kan be compensated with using kobans - forget it, this will never been fixed

Edited by Kacke
  • Like 4
  • Hug 3

No it's a LOT MORE THAN THAT, folks. Please don't overreact and please at least get a grasp of the actual situation for the entire game(s).

Gotta set priorities straight, here. Between "but, I, Player 10,592, was just about to fight the CC!" or similarly minor, individual inconveniences (including "but, I, Player 7,698, had not finished my daily missions" and the like) and "MANY PLAYERS HAVE +/- HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF KOBANS AND/OR FIGHTS AND/OR ENERGY AND MORE EXTREME CHAOS!!!!"... Yeah, the latter is a tidbit more pressing and important for everyone, including those who mostly have the immediate and more minor inconvenience for them in mind right now. Trust me, folks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Kacke said:

in this case, the bug costs a lot of monney for the owners - THIS IS TO FIX IMEDIATE.

if an bug is "only" disturbing the players and kan be compensated with using kobans - forget it, this will never been fixed

Idk about what bug you´re talking that never go fixed but it does seem to be a terrible one if it´s bothering you this much :P

2 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

No it's a LOT MORE THAN THAT, folks. Please don't overreact and please at least get a grasp of the actual situation for the entire game(s).

Gotta set priorities straight, here. Between "but, I, Player 10,592, was just about to fight the CC!" or similarly minor, individual inconveniences (including "but, I, Player 7,698, had not finished my daily missions" and the like) and "MANY PLAYERS HAVE +/- HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF KOBANS AND/OR FIGHTS AND/OR ENERGY AND MORE EXTREME CHAOS!!!!"... Yeah, the latter is a tidbit more pressing and important for everyone, including those who mostly have the immediate and more minor inconvenience for them in mind right now. Trust me, folks.

Also I´ve talked to Noacc, it´s indeed a big issue they´re dealing with but we can expect some more infos in a bit so please just keep calm for a bit ok :) ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well my lunch hour is over - without being able to do anything - am out this evening so I may not get to do anything, boosting team changing etc until at least tomorrow. so it will be a lot of time lost for me - add that to the time of  rollback, that is a serious loss of progress on things with time limits. eg. Will make getting girl of club boss much harder (ie kobans required for resets etc.)

add to that loss of xp - loss of kobans in weekly ladders or more kobans needed to finish that off etc loss of kobans used on boosters that I am now not getting the benefit of.

A real mess and sounds like some players have fully exploited the bug so it may not matter in contests if many have used free kobans to boost themselves.

It was the failure of rolling back or resetting Hentai Clicker after a bug that killed that game off - hopefully they will have learned from that mistake. But if they have no back up - it will be mess and unfair for a long time - maybe for ever (like HC).

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, DvDivXXX said:

Fair Enough. Do what you gotta do DvDivXXX.

We can wait. Just ignore the peps groaning and moaning. If this hadn't happened they'd find something else to moan about eventually. I'm sure of that LOL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hug 1

they will have backup. they learned this the hard way. because everyone who starts making a huge application with a DB learns this the hard way, within a few months at best.
i cannot imagine that in the several years this game exist, they never had a "damn why did we not have a backup" moment, so surely they are doing this by now.
the question is just, how often backup? i just hope it's at least once a day or more often.

(and as i said before, IF the db they use has a transaction log feature, they may be able to restore to right before bug appeared.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Real Vincent said:

to me - if this energy thing is the bug - it seems more like they accidentally created a loop. energy added again and again, instead of once?
well we both can be right or wrong.

In fact, that we're both right would be my guess. You add in a loop until it overflows (and then it's below 0).
Whatever, it's clear it's a huge bug that must be addressed.

I'm so glad I work doing single player games 😂

Edited by Kenrae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Real Vincent You seem to have the type of expertise that would be really useful for the company (not unlike a few other players who can also code circles around the dinosaur that is HH's code, and all of its reskinned versions). I really wish they'll hire at least one proper, fully operational, formally-trained and really up-to-date on how to code a game in the 2020s expert programmer to handle their programming duties (and/or to fully rebuild and fix the super shaky, obsolete and overworked foundations of the game's code, at least). Unfortunately, I'm fairly confident such a position has yet to open, let alone be filled at Kinkoid.

So, to put it mildly (although I realize I might have been a bit blunt in the above paragraph, but I've been pushing this idea for two years in a nice, passive and diplomatic way, so yeah, gotta tell it like it is sometimes)... You should lower your expectations a whole lot compared to what would make sense for a 5-year old online game this popular, this active and this frequently updated. We've had many, many direct confirmations that the state of the backend is nowhere near on par with most games of this caliber and generating that much traffic, unfortunately. I hope they have at least some kind of backup and some kind of ways to at least roughly retrieve past values for player accounts, but they almost certainly do not have a modern database with double overlapping daily backups and all of the normal things you're likely referring to from having worked or perhaps currently working for a bigger and more professional game developing company. Kinkoid started out as a bunch of passionate amateurs with stars in their eyes and tons of cool ideas, and that's a big part of why their game(s) is so unique and appealing. Unfortunately, they never got around to hiring seasoned professionals to help them get the coding side of things out of amateur territory.

Hopefully, a major crash like today will remind Rosso and team that doing so is long overdue. Fingers crossed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Real Vincent said:

they will have backup. they learned this the hard way. because everyone who starts making a huge application with a DB learns this the hard way, within a few months at best.
i cannot imagine that in the several years this game exist, they never had a "damn why did we not have a backup" moment, so surely they are doing this by now.
the question is just, how often backup? i just hope it's at least once a day or more often.

(and as i said before, IF the db they use has a transaction log feature, they may be able to restore to right before bug appeared.)

13 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

@Real Vincent You seem to have the type of expertise that would be really useful for the company (not unlike a few other players who can also code circles around the dinosaur that is HH's code, and all of its reskinned versions). I really wish they'll hire at least one proper, fully operational, formally-trained and really up-to-date on how to code a game in the 2020s expert programmer to handle their programming duties (and/or to fully rebuild and fix the super shaky, obsolete and overworked foundations of the game's code, at least). Unfortunately, I'm fairly confident such a position has yet to open, let alone be filled at Kinkoid.

So, to put it mildly (although I realize I might have been a bit blunt in the above paragraph, but I've been pushing this idea for two years in a nice, passive and diplomatic way, so yeah, gotta tell it like it is sometimes)... You should lower your expectations a whole lot compared to what would make sense for a 5-year old online game this popular, this active and this frequently updated. We've had many, many direct confirmations that the state of the backend is nowhere near on par with most games of this caliber and generating that much traffic, unfortunately. I hope they have at least some kind of backup and some kind of ways to at least roughly retrieve past values for player accounts, but they almost certainly do not have a modern database with double overlapping daily backups and all of the normal things you're likely referring to from having worked or perhaps currently working for a bigger and more professional game developing company. Kinkoid started out as a bunch of passionate amateurs with stars in their eyes and tons of cool ideas, and that's a big part of why their game(s) is so unique and appealing. Unfortunately, they never got around to hiring seasoned professionals to help them get the coding side of things out amateur territory.

Hopefully, a major crash like today will remind Rosso and team that doing so is long overdue. Fingers crossed.

Agree with you @Real Vincent. It is mentioned in thread about several servers (to not go into detail what is actually true). So, for game this size, i would not expect anything less than several types of replications. Some for performance (seperated read from write) and some for high availability. If they have any type of DB replication i agree that transactional logging (e.g. WAL in PG) is already in motion and can be used for rollbacks and debugging. This itself is not an easy task and hope, as @DvDivXXX said, they have special persion dedicated just for this, not 40h/week but at least checking if everything is ok on daily basis.

Data can be "fixed" even manually. Often hardest answer is for "why is this happening". If that is not sorted and fixed, problem will repeat

Edited by Dzanki
last line: event => even
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

Those other players  would probably be better than me because i have very few competence at any browser programming. i mostly do backend stuff, "business logic", and some DB stuff. 
That said, in any DB younger than like 15 years, even the free ones, setting up at least an auto-backup in fixed intervals. is a matter of minutes.
I am sure that already in beta they encountered issues telling them how important backups are, so my jaw would hit the floor if they haven't set this up now, years later.
Just hoping that they do this more often than daily; otherwise we have to replay everything we did since some time on sunday.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Real Vincent said:

I am sure that already in beta they encountered issues telling them how important backups are, so my jaw would hit the floor if they haven't set this up now, years later.

Just hoping that they do this more often than daily; otherwise we have to replay everything we did since some time on sunday.

I think you are in for a surprise 😜 Didn't they reveal in one of the latest q&a that they have no tests and no ci/cd?

11 minutes ago, Real Vincent said:

so my jaw would hit the floor if they haven't set this up now, years later.

Well, please secure a very soft pillow on the floor to soften the impact, just in case. Because yeah, we've had issues like a (much less massive) bug or issue messing up stuff like league rankings and other key rewards many times over the years, including as recently as a couple weeks ago, and every time they ended up being unable to tell who got what from who should have gotten what, and not fixing the problem or its consequences as a result.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

Well, please secure a very soft pillow on the floor to soften the impact, just in case. Because yeah, we've had issues like a (much less massive) bug or issue messing up stuff like league rankings and other key rewards many times over the years, including as recently as a couple weeks ago, and every time they ended up being unable to tell who got what from who should have gotten what, and not fixing the problem or its consequences as a result.

maybe they thought going back 24 hours or possibly more for all players would cause more alienation than what they did instead.
but the current f***up may be bad enough that they have no other choice but use backup

anyway, we will see after they finished fixing. right now, it's only speculation.

• Thanks 1

It was my fault. I was finally winning a League. That created a paradox that made the code crash.

Sorry.

I'm with KK. Backups are for prissy. You don't make backups of your marriage to restore it in case of divorce. Those with bright eyes aiming to future don't bring along the burden of a past backup, instead they march boldly toward the advent sun.

I dunno what I'm writing, is just I have some slightly fear that the effort of yesterday, finally maxing out all my Legendary 5, was wasted. I didn't experienced such bug at all, nothing hinted than anyone did in the League or Season, so maybe they can identify the server and leave things the way they were.

Edited by lepidocter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

Good grief. I'm not a programmer or any type of IT, but I know enough to have my home computer automatically backup (I've had to use it several times with hard drive crashes). I can't imagine professionals not backing up a critical database.

Edited by Ramrod56
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

As it already happened in the past, my friend, you are still much more optimist than me on this. And, in almost the same fashion, until I see differently, I'll remain prone to bet that they will answer "Why? The bug and the instant game stop affected nearly all the players in the same way" (as usual, being this true or not, and independently from any player opinion on the matter) to all the players claiming a compensation when the game will be operational again.

• Sad 1

• DvDivXXX unpinned and locked this topic