Dealing with Poor Mythic Equipment Luck and Allowing Easier Customization

Zteev

Mythic gear has just been released and I was thinking about something to help people who are very unlucky with what gear they get.

As I see it, Mythic gear has 6 characteristics:

Slot - what slot the item takes
Name/Image - what the item is called & looks like
Class - Charm, KnowHow or Hardcore
Class Attunement - Ego or Attack Power
Element - One of the 9 various options
Element Attunement - Harmony or Defense

You might like some or most of these, but if its not your class, or you wanted a cute Snowman and it then you got an ugly Ultrabot, maybe you want to fix that.

So how to customize? Two main options come to mind.

I've played games where you can reroll item attributes for a cost. Sometimes this allows you to keep 1 or 2 attributes, sometimes it's a complete reset that simply insures you won't end up with the exact same thing, and the one game that I played where it was possible to happen, they fixed that. (The fact that I managed to get an exact duplicate item with 8 rated or typed attributes at random meant the laws of probability still love laughing at me.)

Given that players have a class, and would prefer gear in their class, it seems to me that this would be a good option for people who want a bit more gear customization to spend Kobans to do so.

Another option some would suggest is an item exchange, and that could work if it was just base items. Exchange tickets would be bought with Kobans or cash. You put your item on an exchange, and someone pays exchange tickets for the item, and you get the exchange tickets paid, less an exchange fee. Limiting it to base items means that the opportunities for shenanigans are limited.

I realize this is more development work, and that there are bugs still to be worked out, but as Kinkoid grows the game in scope, this may be something to consider.

• Thinking 1

There's something to understand as a design principle right there.

The design principle that high level people ignore is that MEquips show up at Level 200. At that stage you barely own any good setup.

MEquips are designed to "accompany you" along that journey to Level 500. 2 years. That match the 2 years of dropping a "Slot +Class" setup (108 attempts) with a no kobans, F2P approach.

KK want for you, in such 2 years, to try get results in PoA, Seasons, PoG and if you can't by continual gameplay, you can by kobans/cash. It's a incentive.

Now that you and other schedulers face this feature, you obviously ask yourselves how to minnmaxing this feature too: *there's no way* without destroying the entire system for everyone.

You can collect a Slot only set in just 15 drops. Is like rolling a die, with 100%, 83%, 66%, 49%, 32%, 16% of dropping for an unoccupied slot.

By average, 5 out of such 15 items already match your Class. One or two wll be Slot + Class items.

From now onward, if you can customize MEquips at will, you can practically ignore the drop system. Just customize the ones you own already. The feature will last some weeks alone XD. One hour for whales.

Statistically, they did a great mistake by adding a Resonance to single Themes, expanding the items poll and creating such urge of a "perfect set" (that only one player out of 30k will ever see...). To me, a reasonable discriminator could have been Themed (whatever the Theme) or Neutral. This change made the building of two "perfect" sets achievable in a lifespan. But not in a month!

Edited by lepidocter
  • Thanks 1