The Foot Project

Hollo

Something OneMoreBite said in the Legendary Days thread touched off a rant for me:

28 minutes ago, OneMoreBite said:

And yet, somehow, the artists still have trouble drawing the girls' feet right. I mean, seriously, have you SEEN them? The outstanding majority of them look less like feet and more like swollen sacks of sausage meat with stubs stuck on the end of 'em! O.o (Try saying THAT ten times, fast!)

You're not the only one bothered by the feet. When I first started playing, I saw an easy enough fix to the feet that I strongly considered pulling out MSPaint and posting my own version here, with credit to the original. I still am.

My personal peeve is that they arch on both sides. Consider a view from below, if the feet were standing on a transparent floor. It should look like this:
human-footprints_318-46627.jpg

But the HH version seems to cut out the middle part of the foot, outside the instep arch. (You would think this part would have a name. You would not believe how hard it is to find. Every picture I looked at that seemed to label it was instead a reflexology diagram that called it "pancreas" or some crap, and even medical sites weren't getting into it. The best I could find was "long plantar ligament".) The result is left feet that look like right feet and vice versa in some poses; in others, it looks like the girl was put together by Boston Dynamics. The fix is simple, I think; just make the bottom of the foot look flat if you're looking from outside, arched from inside (maybe with a little shadow beneath, as long as you don't draw too much attention to it; probably a thicker line, and nothing more). But I'd have to actually do it and see.

Note that I don't have a foot fetish (footjobs weird me out, for instance), so much as an Uncanny Valley aversion. Bodies that look weird apparently bother me more than they seem to bother most other people - butt bulging too much, breasts too round, anime eyes, anything. For some reason I'm able to make an exception for cartoon style, but if you're drawing erotica, the nice curves need to be there.

To be fair to Kinkoid's art department, feet are notoriously hard to get right. Surf the net for hentai; you'll see what I mean. Square feet; wedge feet; feet that are hidden in shoes or out of frame so they don't have to deal with it. It's not just that they have to look not-broken; they have to fit with the style of the art. If you had Evangelion, Capcom, Gundam, etc. characters with feet that looked like they came out of an artist's anatomy textbook, they'd look weird, too. The best fusion of style and realism I've seen is a guy named Reinaldo Quintero (ReiQ), who seems to have enough of a foot fetish following that he maybe gets a bit too much into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I would like a moderator or admin to please explain why my post was deleted from this thread.  I do not remember my exact wording, but I posted a simple, respectful comment basically stating something very similar to:

"If feet are difficult to get right, maybe a solution would be to leave shoes on a lot of the girls.  Obviously, some photos could be barefoot, but naked girls wearing high heels, boots, or shoes can be sexy, and as a bonus make things easier for the artist."

What on earth is wrong with that?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoyoHH said:

I would like a moderator or admin to please explain why my post was deleted from this thread.  I do not remember my exact wording, but I posted a simple, respectful comment basically stating something very similar to:

"If feet are difficult to get right, maybe a solution would be to leave shoes on a lot of the girls.  Obviously, some photos could be barefoot, but naked girls wearing high heels, boots, or shoes can be sexy, and as a bonus make things easier for the artist."

What on earth is wrong with that?

Are you sure you even wrote anything? I can't see anything that assists you in  "post being deleted".  Aside that, why not re-type it?

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Shidou said:

Aside that, why not re-type it?

He pretty much did. :-D

Leaving shoes could look good. Especially heels, IMO. So, pumps or boots. Might be easier to do those than bare feet; might not. Nice idea either way.

Edited by Hollo
  • Haha 1