How you doing in the "League"

casey

How is everyone doing in the league so far?

Also does anyone know how you can tell what level of League division you are in

In my League there is 100 players ranging from level 285 down to 2 players @ level 23

that's quite the range.

BTW I'm tied for 2nd so far.

• Like 5

Tied for 10th, 30 points (5 victories, natch). Once I got the hang of what was going on, I'm now trying to take on the highest level opponents I can still confidently beat, in order to milk XP while still getting max points.

ETA: One thing I'm noticing that wasn't in the FAQ: I have one "W" showing on each opponent I beat so far. I'm guessing I can challenge any one opponent up to 3 times per league period, and I assume that's to avoid abuse. Clever.

Edited by Hollo
  • Like 1

FWIW, the average opponent in my league (100 players + me) is around level 135, highest 279 and lowest 20; I'm at 162. At a glance there are probably about 10 players I'll find unbeatable and another 10 or so around my battle strength (who I'll probably mostly beat head-to-head but not necessarily against the whole field)...if they all decide to play hard, I'll find it a bit tricky to finish top 15 and advance to the next league this time around. I do expect some of them to largely ignore the leagues, so I'll probably be fine.

That said, there are some nice XP sources in here, I've already taken advantage of a guy nearly 100 levels above me but equipped only with rainbow items (old pre-nerf ones, I think), so well below my strength.

Edited by _shal_

Honestly, this early in the season, your level doesn't matter too much. Based off of test server experience, the start of the season involves people challenging those they're confident of beating. It's only once the low level people run out of weaker people that the higher level people start to pull away. Or if someone spends kobans for some reason to get more fights.

As for the original question. First place in my league at the moment with 51 points. 37 out of 101 players have any points whatsoever.

Edited by Moe Overload
  • Like 1

Out of the 100 players in my league only 33 have any points so far. Dont recognize anyone and it looks like only 1 player that i might have difficulty with. Currently 3rd on 42points, having beaten people in 1st & 2nd place (they have had 3 more fights than me).

I've being challenging the highest level players in my league, for my very first challenge I fought a low level player just to see what would happen

and won 160 xp points but then I challenged a high level player and received 366 xp points

So I you want to accumulate xp your better off fighting high level players.

10 minutes ago, casey said:

I've being challenging the highest level players in my league, for my very first challenge I fought a low level player just to see what would happen

and won 160 xp points but then I challenged a high level player and received 366 xp points

So I you want to accumulate xp your better off fighting high level players.

Only if you can beat them.

You get 100 + level opponent XP from a win and 20% of that from a loss.

Level 20 will give you 120 XP, but a loss against a level 400 will give you only 20% of 500 XP, which is 100 XP. So a victory is always more important than a higher level.

• Like 4

I am still getting used to the League (i wasn't in the test server). There is someone with 75 points already, so I am only 5th even winning all my battles (I started late after the bug this morning). This first league is very easy for everybody as all players have been assigned randomly and there are plenty of levels to choose. In my league there are only 40 people with points yet. Probably a lot of people won't compete.

The biggest drawback I see is that for the high level players the XP from the league is not going to replace the loss of halving the daily missions XP reward. As @_shal_ said in other thread you need to do at least 12 battles daily in the league against people of your same level to replace the XP loss, and there are not enough high level players in this first league (e.g.: in my case there are only 28 players of level 200 or more).

Correction: I have done the numbers and If I win all other 99 players three times  i will win a bit more XP than the loss of daily missions, i will need 297 battles so that means 21 wins for day, so i will be able to sleep 🙂😴

Edited by jelom
correction

We were discussing on the Discord a few days ago how many players would be getting placed into leagues, and judging from the sizable number of completely inactive players (= ranking of "0" for the weeklies in their player profile), it looks like every single level 20+ account was placed after all, even accounts that haven't been used in a long time. Should be about 150,000 accounts total on HH.com according to the XP all-time ranking, so maybe around 1,500 league brackets right now. That's going to be amusing after two or three league editions - at that point, Wanker I will probably consist only of dormant accounts, players who have newly reached level 20, and players unlucky enough to actually get relegated from Wanker II despite being active. (Which might not be many - most demotion slots will probably be taken up by zero-pointers there, too. I suspect the leagues will only start being competitive top to bottom in the third tier.)

Edited by _shal_

Well with 1500 leagues, that would mean that 22,500 people would be promoted to Wanker 2 for the next league. I checked the ToF wins vs. villains ranking, and the guy in 22,500th place has 24 wins there. So I would expect everyone who gets promoted to be semi-active at least.

1 hour ago, Chthugha said:

Only if you can beat them.

You get 100 + level opponent XP from a win and 20% of that from a loss.

Level 20 will give you 120 XP, but a loss against a level 400 will give you only 20% of 500 XP, which is 100 XP. So a victory is always more important than a higher level.

I'm the 900 lb gorilla in my league

A few of us were talking on Discord, and noticed something interesting about the math. (Apologies if all this was hashed out on the test server; I'm just now noticing all this.)

One question is whether the bottleneck, at least for now, will be challenge tokens, or opponents. You get one token per hour, max of 5, which means people will be sleeping or working through some of them. OTOH, you have 99 opponents in the current league, and can fight each one 3 times, for a total of 297. You get a theoretical max of 14 * 24 = 336 tokens. That's not much room for slippage. If you're up 16 hours a day, that's only 224 tokens, plus the extra 4/day stored up when you get up in the morning: 280.

However, you might skip whoever's likely to beat you, so you might not need to every single token to reach your peak in your league. However again: later leagues might be larger, so maybe you do.

--

Meanwhile, I imagine the highest league eventually being populated with 200-somethings, all farming each other for XP, but with some odd pecking order that's mostly dominated by RNG. Bottom 15 will drop down to next highest league, which will be seen as winning the lottery, since those will now farm nearly everyone below them, racking up huge numbers, and now hoping to do just under #15 so they can stay in that league.

But the more that happens, the more the highest league will keep evaporating until the top league folds into the second, minus some unlucky 15 who keep getting popped up into first. That crowd might be random enough that anyone getting there now has a decent chance of getting first place, plus significantly greater rewards, which means the second leaguers will want to get back in there, until there's some sort of weird equilibrium. It'll be interesting.

Edited by Hollo

51 minutes ago, Hollo said:

Meanwhile, I imagine the highest league eventually being populated with 200-somethings, all farming each other for XP, but with some odd pecking order that's mostly dominated by RNG. Bottom 15 will drop down to next highest league, which will be seen as winning the lottery, since those will now farm nearly everyone below them, racking up huge numbers, and now hoping to do just under #15 so they can stay in that league.

But the more that happens, the more the highest league will keep evaporating until the top league folds into the second, minus some unlucky 15 who keep getting popped up into first. That crowd might be random enough that anyone getting there now has a decent chance of getting first place, plus significantly greater rewards, which means the second leaguers will want to get back in there, until there's some sort of weird equilibrium. It'll be interesting.

It also depends on how quickly they open up new leagues above the initial five. (They've made provisions for nine.) If they do it as soon as, or shortly after, it becomes numerically possible, this "first vs second tier" aspect will remain a moving target for a while. Anyway, there are enough high-powered players in the game that I suspect that even the second tier leagues will be quite competitive and it won't be easy to use them as XP farms for players who wouldn't also be competitive in the first tier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casey said:

I wonder if the player who has used Kobans to buy refills realizes that the top prize is only 120 Kobans

Or maybe he just wants the glory and the bragging rights of being a league championship winner

Even for that, using as many refills as i've seen, and so early in the season, doesn't make sense. It's better to leave them for the final push, i think.

Without refills, you have a maximum of 336 challenge points for the 2 weeks. But you can't fight any of the other 99 players of each cluster more than 3 times, for a total of 297 possible battles. Assuming that every day you lose 3 challenge points to sleep, that 42 for the 2 weeks, so 294. You're very close to the maximum possible, even assuming that you can beat every other single person in your cluster.

More importantly, the other 99 guys in the league also have all those free challenge points. Spending kobans won't stop them from catching up to you if they're better and have more beatable opponents available.

The current top-ranked player in my league is only level 85 and doesn't even have particularly good stats for that level (full set of rainbows). They're not gonna finish top 15 in two weeks.

Edited by _shal_