How you doing in the "League"

casey

I ended up switching to low-level opponents halfway through yesterday, mostly because I already had a huge lead in the XP contest that was running. No need for overkill, those points might come in handy for another XP contest. (And in fact another one sprung up on HH.com immediately last night, so I'm back to bashing the level 200+ guys.)

I must say I am a little surprised of the number of people i realized have already used kobans for refills. This seem to mean that quite a number of people haven't made the calculation that in every bracket they can fight at maximum 297 battles in the 14 day period, and thus they need only to refill the last day of the league to be able to fight all the battles they cannot before with auto-1-hour-refilling tokens (being also advantaged from a last minute, to use this expression, boost of points). Another alternative is that people have still to understand well the league operation, and either being busy people or limited by the 5 points token roof, they have not thought that they could refill in the later days (or they have but they know that being busy they won't do it).

I prefer not to comment about the last alternative that comes to my mind, being that players who uses early and massively the refilling option in the hope to get other (novice) league competitors to think there is no match for them, thus having less competition.

My current strategy is battling all of the people who aren't participating in the league. These are the least likely to level up, and so won't provide me more experience if I battle them later. By leaving the lower level but active players (who could still gain a level a day) alone, they'll potentially gain me significantly more experience by fighting them in the second week.

FWIW, my very first order of business on Monday was taking out the half dozen or so players that I was barely stronger than, to prevent the possibility that they might fluke an item upgrade (even a small one) and move out of my range.

I imagine that's going to become more relevant in future leagues when the player strengths are more clustered than the current free-for-all.

Edited by _shal_

1 hour ago, GeorgeMTO said:

My current strategy is battling all of the people who aren't participating in the league. These are the least likely to level up, and so won't provide me more experience if I battle them later. By leaving the lower level but active players (who could still gain a level a day) alone, they'll potentially gain me significantly more experience by fighting them in the second week.

i do only lowlevels currently. independent of their activity. why you might ask? because of the currently active xp contests and stupid people rushing either their league or their wallets to win the contest. spending hundreds of kobans to win 80/160 kobans? you decide if that's smart. 🤣. i keep the high xp reward opponents for next week. should also help on xp leaderboard next week.

from wanker 2 on we won't face lowlevels anymore. in my bracket the best ranked lowlevel (~60) is rank 17. and i doubt he can keep that spot until  the end. everyone in the top 15 is about 200 or above. i estimate this is roughly the same for all other wanker 1 brackets. so xp strategies won't work out anymore or are obsolete anyways. (for the strongest amongst us at least)

Edited by Habi

38 minutes ago, Habi said:

i do only lowlevels currently. independent of their activity. why you might ask? because of the currently active xp contests and stupid people rushing either their league or their wallets to win the contest. spending hundreds of kobans to win 80/160 kobans? you decide if that's smart. 🤣. i keep the high xp reward opponents for next week. should also help on xp leaderboard next week.

from wanker 2 on we won't face lowlevels anymore. in my bracket the best ranked lowlevel (~60) is rank 17. and i doubt he can keep that spot until  the end. everyone in the top 15 is about 200 or above. i estimate this is roughly the same for all other wanker 1 brackets. so xp strategies won't work out anymore or are obsolete anyways. (for the strongest amongst us at least)

But are all the 200+ guys currently in the top ranks actually optimized for battling or have they simply beaten up on the low-rankers? I've got 32 players at 200+ in my league, but 20 of them are guaranteed wins for me (at level 165), and another three are close enough that I might win at least one of the three challenges against them. And even some of the players I can't beat have non-optimized builds, e.g. level 270+ but battle stats like others at level 210 or so.

Of course, none of that contradicts your point that Wanker 2 will have almost no really low-level players anymore. But I do think you'll have a number of guys like me who are 100+ levels below the veterans like you. (I'll take my beating like a man. Will be interesting to see how many cycles I'll need until the level of play at Wanker 2 has dropped enough for me to get promoted to 3.)

Edit: The current leader in my league continues to be a koban-spending level 88 with 32,000 ego, heh.

Edited by _shal_

19 minutes ago, Habi said:

there is currently a 93, 98 and 41 in the top 15 of my bracket. Considering how they are surrounded by level 140-280 people it'll likely not be the case within a week though, when they exhaust the fights that they can reliably win.

I'm confused about league scoring, I'm I right in assuming that the total points a player can earn in league play is;

297 X 3 = 891

Or can I challenge player B 3 times and then player B turns around and challenges me 3 times.

If this is the case then high level players would not have any chance of winning the league title

Players occupying the high end of largest part of player level distribution would be the most likely winners.

I can provide a more detailed explanation of my theory if anyone is interested

Or I'm I wrong on how the league scoring system works.

10 minutes ago, casey said:

I'm confused about league scoring, I'm I right in assuming that the total points a player can earn in league play is;

297 X 3 = 891

Or can I challenge player B 3 times and then player B turns around and challenges me 3 times.

If this is the case then high level players would not have any chance of winning the league title

Players occupying the high end of largest part of player level distribution would be the most likely winners.

there's 99 opponents

you can fight them three times

you can score three points max per fight

so max score is 891.

that's it. end of story.

(short and conchise: I hope it helps clarity)

Edited by dirty harry

3 hours ago, GeorgeMTO said:

By leaving the lower level but active players (who could still gain a level a day) alone, they'll potentially gain me significantly more experience by fighting them in the second week.

An extra 10 xp per fight isn't that significant. Although it is better than nothing. But often I just want to hit and run, spot a level 80ish player, attack him 3 times and I'm out of there.

14 minutes ago, casey said:

297 X 3 = 891

To add onto what dity harry said, Player B can definitely turn around and challenge you after you've challenged him 3 times, but you only get points when you are the one who issued the challenge. Likely to prevent exactly this kind of flaw to occur (and because the combat system we have HEAVILY favours the attacker).

1 minute ago, Urist said:

An extra 10 xp per fight isn't that significant. Although it is better than nothing. But often I just want to hit and run, spot a level 80ish player, attack him 3 times and I'm out of there.

Significant when added all together I mean. 10 exp extra from 100 fights feels pretty significant, especially since missions have been reduced in effectiveness.

6 minutes ago, Urist said:

Say there are 50 low lvl players (probably more) times three fights times 10 xp that's

50*3*10= 1500 xp

Nothing to be sneezed at.🤦‍♀️

Anything to close the gap with the higher ups

2 minutes ago, Urist said:

But you won't be able to fight all of them on the last day. Assuming you time it out perfectly and miss no points it'll be 10*24 + 9*24, etc. =1320 xp spread out over the duration of the league.

You're right but if we're going to make this an exact science we should also take into account the actual number of active players (assuming non active players do not gain lvls); the lvl of the active players you can beat (for me the transition from one lvl a day to a lvl every two days was about lvl 160) and the numbers of days (14 from day 0).

I prefer the ball park figure. It makes life easier. Besides, I hate thinking; it hurts me brain 😡

2 minutes ago, Sinner said:

So,... anyone using stat booster items, yet? Seems like they could finally come in handy. Or maybe they just stay completely useless.

bit off topic, I guess.

But yeah. I have  been using stat boosters for a while now. first I wanted to save them but then I realised the the higher lvl you become the less worth they are. I use them mainly when I start losing fights by a couple of hundred points in PvP. That's what they are there for.

In the leagues I have no use for them as I am significantly stronger or weaker than any of my opponents.

3 minutes ago, casey said:

If I'm in a close contest where pvp wins matter in the final outcome to win Kobans, yes I've used boosters.

I can boost my ego by 4000 to 5000 points by using max boosters, which is significant to my pvp battle strength

1 hour ago, Sinner said:

So,... anyone using stat booster items, yet? Seems like they could finally come in handy. Or maybe they just stay completely useless.

If I'm in a close contest where pvp wins matter in the final outcome to win Kobans, yes I've used boosters.

I can boost my ego by 4000 to 5000 points by using max boosters, which is significant to my pvp battle strength

Edited by casey
refered to wrong post

1 hour ago, casey said:

What would happen if you reach your maximum of 297 fights and then you buy a refill?

Would there fights available to you.

If not why would you buy refills in the first place?

Some of the people buying refills likely know that they won't be able to get all the fights in (work, sleep, maybe even long plane trips ect).

Also in reference to that erronous post post, feel free to report them to us mods, we'll happily remove them for you to prevent clogging the thread.

2 hours ago, Sinner said:

I'm by far the strongest in my group since I'm towards the top of the PVP curve. I'll likely not find much of a challenge until wanker 3, and then I might need boosters.

I'm doing fine. I've lost 1 fight. I avoid anybody more than 20 levels above me, and just hit the rest as I see them.

Currently 8th, as one of only 4 people under level 200 in the top 15 , and only 1 more from 15-20. I doubt any of us will stick in the top 15, especially those under level 100. Lots of inactives, and once people advance they won't find any more inactives.

I expect I might promote in the second or third time around. No rush to promote to somewhere I'm going to get my head handed to me.

7 hours ago, casey said:

What would happen if you reach your maximum of 297 fights and then you buy a refill?

Would there fights available to you.

If not why would you buy refills in the first place? 

Are you at the end of the current plot? If so try refilling your energy and see what happens. I would guess that it's probably the same thing.

That's why people in the thread have been saying it's a waste to spend kobans on refills this early on, until you see how many (if any) you need to reach your max fights.