Clothing stats

e5115271

It would be cool if clothing had some practical use, especially as they are now prevalent with the champion rewards. Maybe a slight boost to a stat or whatever if you wear the set. At the minute they're useless, apart from as fodder rewards for beating a champion.

It would alleviate some disappointment when you finally beat a boss 5 times only to get an item with literally no use whatsoever.

I disagree. Sure, to some extent, it might soften the blow when you finish a champion cycle and don't get the girl as your reward, but... It would also add more grind to the game, and it would push players to spend kobans on all the cosmetic stuff since it would no longer be just cosmetic... No thanks.

• Like 1

Not that this is going to happen anyway, but a compromise would be to have the stats increase (defense/attack) limited to only Champion battles.

If receiving those items were to make future Champion battles a little easier, it would decrease the disappointment and limiting the benefits to only these battles, would also prevent the game from moving more towards pay-to-win.

Edited by John 1039
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, DvDivXXX said:

I disagree. Sure, to some extent, it might soften the blow when you finish a champion cycle and don't get the girl as your reward, but... It would also add more grind to the game, and it would push players to spend kobans on all the cosmetic stuff since it would no longer be just cosmetic... No thanks.

You do realise you can literally spend kobans to increase stats using guild donations? It wouldn't add to the grind; having clothing with stats would be a positive byproduct of what already is a grind of the Champions feature. I'm not suggesting a huge stat increase, and as the suggestion above mentions, the boost could be excluded from ToF or limited to PvE only.

There's plenty of scope for balancing - clothing bought from the store could have very little increase compared to the clothing dropped by champions for example.

4 hours ago, e5115271 said:

There's plenty of scope for balancing - clothing bought from the store could have very little increase compared to the clothing dropped by champions for example.

The only fair route I see which would not actually add to the grind would be to have the clothing give a bonus only in champion battles, and at that only the clothing from the champions, and not the pieces you can actually buy for kobans. This I would actually be absolutely okay with.

4 hours ago, e5115271 said:

You do realise you can literally spend kobans to increase stats using guild donations?

Yes, that's already a part of the grind, even though it's a collective effort, and your mileage may vary depending on your club and how comfortable you are in it. I don't see how this contradicts my point (I even feel this supports it, actually). Probably a misunderstanding somewhere; never mind.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this:

a) Once you collect all 6 clothing items from a champion you unlock that set's view for your profile.

b) once you unlock the set, you get a bonus for that champion [permanent, always active against that champion, ie 10% boost on all stats]

c) an additional game modifier type "accomplishments" that rewards participation in side-quests or other in-game targets.  the effects of these accomplishments could start out as 
a way for someone, (whether in a club or not) to achieve an additional 0-10% boost on each stat + XP + Y$  [just like what is currently offered by a maxed out club]
example getting all 6 clothing items from a the morning wood champion earns you a permanent 1% boost in know-how (that champions primary).  Thus if you have a maxed out guild your know-how boost would be 11%

d) accomplishments should be viewable on a player's profile, (like badges or on a list)... (some of them could be funny.)

37 minutes ago, Dudely Pippin said:

a) Once you collect all 6 clothing items from a champion you unlock that set's view for your profile. 

b) once you unlock the set, you get a bonus for that champion [permanent, always active against that champion, ie 10% boost on all stats]

a) Each champion only has 3 clothing items (and 4 copies of the same background image with technically different "uses" and, finally, the one actual reward: the girl).

b) I don't like it, because this would add to the luck factor (one player could get the +10% bonus as early as after 3 stages, another could get the last piece of clothing at stage 8), and, more importantly, the bonus vs this one particular champ wouldn't be very useful once you get the girl.

c) Hmm... Well, to an extent, it would reward players who don't get lucky with the girl drops, but it would also add a ton of grind for everybody who wants to stay competitive. It would also give an instant bonus to veterans who have already beaten most champions, while lower level players would need to grind even more to catch up on that bonus, even on champions that already dropped their girl.

Hey I was confused a bit I guess.  I see now the "3 profile clothing" awards per champion, these are awarded on beating round 5 only.

I was actually thinking the 6 clothing items were the gear pieces dropped during rounds 1-4.  (the ones you equip or sell)

I appreciate your perspective as well on not wanting to just hand the experienced/advanced player an instant easy boost that further pushes them ahead of everyone else.

Finding fair ways that allow new players to catch up faster is the greater challenge.

• Like 1