Idea for Puzzle Redesign

Skumby

We've had two of these puzzle events so far and both were pretty poorly received by all the feedback I see. I missed the first girl and got Hari with just 3 seconds left on the event. But this actually gave me an idea on how to redesign it to be more fun. Here's my suggestion:

1. Extend the event to 7 days. It's too easy to get busy and miss the first day or two and be incredibly far behind.
  2. Here's the big one: Change how the puzzle and timer work overall. Keep the 10 stages for the girl, but eliminate the current limit on moves. Instead, switch the event to a timed puzzle - keep the same basic design, but you press a "Start" button and then you have X minutes to put the pieces into place. Perhaps there is also a limit on moves, as well, to keep it exciting. So a 12-piece puzzle might give you 2 minutes and 24 moves. The final stage with 25 pieces could give you just 3:30 or 4 minutes, and just 40 moves. This would need to be tested to find the right balance between challenge and frustration. But when the time is up or you solve the puzzle, then there's a two or three hour lockout to try again. This is the timed element - you have a limited number of attempts per day due to this. BUT, you can rest the timer to try again right away by spending Ryos. That's how you keep it monetized without feeling excessive.
  3. Change the pictures from the dull, generic current crystal, flower, and phone to teaser images of the girl in the event. Use a still of her upper body or something from her level 1, 4, and 7 poses to tease us and get us excited about unlocking her!

So that's my thoughts. The puzzle is pretty dull right now, but because of my poor time management, I went into level 9 this morning with just 7 minutes left on the event. Having to solve those last two stages with a short time limit made it WAY more interesting and exciting. So, I thought I'd share that perspective and toss it out there for others to consider.

17 minutes ago, Skumby said:

We've had two of these puzzle events so far and both were pretty poorly received by all the feedback I see. I missed the first girl and got Hari with just 3 seconds left on the event. But this actually gave me an idea on how to redesign it to be more fun. Here's my suggestion:

1. Extend the event to 7 days. It's too easy to get busy and miss the first day or two and be incredibly far behind.
  2. Here's the big one: Change how the puzzle and timer work overall. Keep the 10 stages for the girl, but eliminate the current limit on moves. Instead, switch the event to a timed puzzle - keep the same basic design, but you press a "Start" button and then you have X minutes to put the pieces into place. Perhaps there is also a limit on moves, as well, to keep it exciting. So a 12-piece puzzle might give you 2 minutes and 24 moves. The final stage with 25 pieces could give you just 3:30 or 4 minutes, and just 40 moves. This would need to be tested to find the right balance between challenge and frustration. But when the time is up or you solve the puzzle, then there's a two or three hour lockout to try again. This is the timed element - you have a limited number of attempts per day due to this. BUT, you can rest the timer to try again right away by spending Ryos. That's how you keep it monetized without feeling excessive.
  3. Change the pictures from the dull, generic current crystal, flower, and phone to teaser images of the girl in the event. Use a still of her upper body or something from her level 1, 4, and 7 poses to tease us and get us excited about unlocking her!

So that's my thoughts. The puzzle is pretty dull right now, but because of my poor time management, I went into level 9 this morning with just 7 minutes left on the event. Having to solve those last two stages with a short time limit made it WAY more interesting and exciting. So, I thought I'd share that perspective and toss it out there for others to consider.

I think being basic it kind of the goal trying to appeal to as many people as possible. I don't have a problem with the IMAGES used there not overcomplicated so easy to work out where each bit should go, though I would like a background solid colour instead of transparency for easier to see more defined edges. I don't like unnecessary timers as I have illness that causes me to be slower than average people they make my life a living hell when too short. Extra days on event is fine but where do you draw the line how much time is enough time and what about the occasions where you have multiple events close together?

Edited by maxafax

It's not a perfect idea but just wanted to share it. The timer would certainly be an issue for some, so might not be best - just what I found to make it much more interesting. I still feel like 7 days is a good balance. This time was certainly better than the first - current time limit would be better if the game notified you about upcoming events a day or two ahead of time. That way you know when something is going to start.

17 hours ago, test_anon said:

Why not gain moves, not based on a timer, but as rewards of a standard event steps ?

you mean like in FAP titans where to get moves in fapopoly you kill boss's and mobs and use ability's in main game Kill 100 standard monsters / Kill 15 Boss etc?

52 minutes ago, test_anon said:

I never played FAP Titans.

You don't need to have to understand, main game is same as HC you have girls that you level and mobs that you click or idle to kill. along with several abilities you unlock that add temp buffs same as in HC bottom bar. When events are up you do stuff in the main game to gain moves such as gaining levels, passing stages, using abilities, using the various currency etc is this what you mean or do you mean doing stuff in the event it self which I'm not sure how that could work?