500 Error - But different!

Gnome Saying

Let's start with, yes I know about the 500 Error sticky.  This instance does not follow that pattern:

I am getting a 500 Internal Server Error in Chrome and Opera GX but not in Microsoft Edge - which obviously suggests an actual server error rather than an IP block.  I've also cleared cache and whatnot in those browsers but no change in the error.

If there are any diagnostic steps you'd like me to do to test this error out, happy to help.

55 minutes ago, Gnome Saying said:

Seems to have resolved on its own for the time being.  Total time it lasted was maybe an hour?  Took me a bit to think to report it.  If it comes back I'll update.

That's the usual time for an automated temp IP ban. So it's more likely to mean you had the usual error 500 and it was automatically lifted after a bit, rather than there was a new server issue affecting you and it got fixed. ^^

It sounds weird at first glance that you were not blocked on one browser while you were on two others. However, were you using all three of those on the same device? Using the same IP? I'm not familiar with Edge, but I know that Opera has a built-in tiny free VPN and I know for a fact this actually does the trick when you get error 500. Is it possible that Edge has something similar, even if you might not have considered it at the time or possibly even not be aware it was activated?

Either that or, again, if you were using Chrome and Opera on one device and Edge on another, that's consistent with the typical Internal Server Error 500.

Anyways, glad you went through it, and please let us know if you have more useful details either in answer to the above or the next time you encounter this issue (if something seems to be different from what's explained in the sticky that time as well). Cheers.

They were all on the same device, checking multiple times over the same time period.  All of them using the same VPN connection (PIA), none using any in-browser VPN extensions.  The only commonality I can find is that Chrome and Opera GX are both Chromium-base browsers, whereas Edge is not, and that may affect some JS or CSS functionality on the site... but if a JS command goes on loop and causes an IP ban, then that should still cause Edge to have the same issue under these circumstances?

I had 500 errors almost the entirety of yesterday on Opera which is why today I tried to check on a different browser today instead of waiting it out ('cause I nearly didn't get all my Activities in yesterday) and got a different result.  So it may well start happening again today in which case, I'll say something.

Edit: Nevermind you are correct. -_- Edge is not on the PIA connection, because I had preset PIA to let it bypass for testing purposes.  I'm a dumb.  Ignore me!

Edited by Gnome Saying
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hit the same error myself a few minutes before end of game day, and still going ~20 minutes later.  If the system is reporting a 500 error for a temporary block, it's doing it wrong.  A 403 would be far more appropriate.

Could spamming the cash for contest points button (entirely manually) just before be related?

• Thinking 1

49 minutes ago, red101 said:

Could spamming the cash for contest points button (entirely manually) just before be related?

Obviously. You haven't read the thread, I see? Also, don't hijack or necro threads.

This is the relevant sticky for someone just encountering the regular issue: