Contest Rewards are disappointing

Asura King

I worked hard on a contest which has a duration of 4 days and got 1st in it but the reward is just too disappointing, apart from the kobans and money the reward is just a flower of normal grade with +3 affection. When you work on it for 4 days putting all the time and effort and just got a worthless reward its just too disappointing and discourages me from ever trying to get more points in a contest. This isn't just a one time incident it has happened too many times before, I got 1st in several contests before but almost all of the rewards are actually not useful to me apart from the first few times where the rewards quite staggering the rest of the contest rewards which came after are quite disappointing.

51 minutes ago, Habi said:

the effective reward IS the kobans. don't expect any good item.

Just the kobans? But for the first few times all the rewards are epic items with very high stat values although I didn't expect it to be the same all the time, I expected to get a few rare items for getting 1st. Looks like I have to be satisfied with just the kobans.

i'd say that was either just luck or the items you get change after reaching a certain level. i rarely get a useful item from contests, maybe once a month if not less. the daily free pachinko feels better although still mostly worthless.

• 2 weeks later...

I just won 1st place in one of the contests for Kobans and a single item:  My character was level 18/19 and the actual item received was a +7 Chocolates (affection).  This, as I understand it, is one of the lowest level items you can get for affection.

I'd agree that the amount of effort put into coming 1st place in any contest should be rewarded appropriately:  I would have thought that the items would be of a certain rarity or power if you manage to place in the top ranks of the contest, not just have a random item form the entire available list - Worst case scenario is that you roll an incredibly common item for coming 1st place, which is exactly what's happened to me.

I'm fairly disappointed in the outcome...I was excited to have a chance for a rare or legendary item, but to roll a +7 affection consumable is no where near fair reward for coming 1st place; it certainly doesn't inspire me to buy a membership.

Chocolates.jpg

Edited by Rand0m

4 hours ago, Rand0m said:

I just won 1st place in one of the contests for Kobans and a single item:  My character was level 18/19 and the actual item received was a +7 Chocolates (affection).  This, as I understand it, is one of the lowest level items you can get for affection.

I'd agree that the amount of effort put into coming 1st place in any contest should be rewarded appropriately:  I would have thought that the items would be of a certain rarity or power if you manage to place in the top ranks of the contest, not just have a random item form the entire available list - Worst case scenario is that you roll an incredibly common item for coming 1st place, which is exactly what's happened to me.

I'm fairly disappointed in the outcome...I was excited to have a chance for a rare or legendary item, but to roll a +7 affection consumable is no where near fair reward for coming 1st place; it certainly doesn't inspire me to buy a membership.

Chocolates.jpg

in fact the reward are the kobans. but i agree that the item reward should be more useful.

8 hours ago, Habi said:

in fact the reward are the kobans. but i agree that the item reward should be more useful.

I don't agree that the rewards are intended to be just the Kobans...There's more going on:

All places, including 27+ in the attached instance, get a prize or two for participating (and I suspect that they roll an item prize even if they don't participate).  If the Kobans were the only reward, why are (in the attached example) 5th to 27th+ even mentioned?

What makes the reward system different for the tiers outside of the Koban reward?  If there wasn't anything intended, then they shouldn't even be mentioned.  You could put it simply as:

• 1st:  Koban & Item
  • 2nd-4th:  Less Koban & Item
  • 5th+:  Item Only

If the rewards were only meant to be the Kobans, then why would all other places (including 27+, who may not have even logged on or participated in any way) rolling in the same item prize pool as 1st or 2nd place, which get the Koban rewards?

I would have expected it to be something like:

• 1st:  Koban + Legendary Item
  • 2nd-4th:  Less Koban & Rare Item
  • 5th+:  Common & Uncommon Item Only

For what seems to be a contest that appears worldwide (not regions participating against themselves), getting a +7 Affection chocolate for 1st place worldwide is still disappointing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next places contestants rolled something much better (assuming it's a random prize pool of all available items).

Rewards.jpg

Edited by Rand0m
Removed 'DIsagree' statement and elaborated.

7 minutes ago, Rand0m said:

I don't agree that the rewards are intended to be just the Kobans...There's more going on:

All places, including 27+ in the attached instance, get a prize or two for participating (and I suspect that they roll an item prize even if they don't participate).  If the Kobans were the only reward, why are (in the attached example) 5th to 27th+ even mentioned?

What makes the reward system different for the tiers outside of the Koban reward?  If there wasn't anything intended, then they shouldn't even be mentioned.  You could put it simply as:

• 1st:  Koban & Item
  • 2nd-4th:  Less Koban & Item
  • 5th+:  Item Only

If the rewards were only meant to be the Kobans, then why would all other places (including 27+, who may not have even logged on or participated in any way) rolling in the same item prize pool as 1st or 2nd place, which get the Koban rewards?

I would have expected it to be something like:

• 1st:  Koban + Legendary Item
  • 2nd-4th:  Less Koban & Rare Item
  • 5th+:  Common & Uncommon Item Only

For what seems to be a contest that appears worldwide (not regions participating against themselves), getting a +7 Affection chocolate for 1st place worldwide is still disappointing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next places contestants rolled something much better (assuming it's a random prize pool of all available items).

Rewards.jpg

the whole game is based on RNG (random number generator).
so everything has to do with chance.
a higher place just makes your chance on something good bigger.
so 1st place has the best chance on something good, 27th+ the lowest chance.
this doesn't mean that you cannot get something bad from place 1 or something good from place 50.
so in fact, the only thing that separates a 1st place from a 5th+ place, is that you get kobans, and you even get more kobans than 2-4th places.

so indeed, the main prize is the kobans, because that's only for those finishing top 4.
if you look at other contests (not one with a donation button), you will see the same thing for the money rewards.

15 hours ago, Chthugha said:

the whole game is based on RNG (random number generator).
so everything has to do with chance.
a higher place just makes your chance on something good bigger.
so 1st place has the best chance on something good, 27th+ the lowest chance.
this doesn't mean that you cannot get something bad from place 1 or something good from place 50.
so in fact, the only thing that separates a 1st place from a 5th+ place, is that you get kobans, and you even get more kobans than 2-4th places.

so indeed, the main prize is the kobans, because that's only for those finishing top 4.
if you look at other contests (not one with a donation button), you will see the same thing for the money rewards.

...Even when it's two first places in a row?  See attached for the follow up contest I ran (which was pictured in my previous post).

If it's RNG, it's still very disappointing.  For first place I shouldn't be getting two greys (in a row, no less).  It really doesn't inspire me to pay money towards the game to spend towards running in these contests.

Screenshot_20180111-235058.png

when the arena+donation contest finished this morning i placed 3rd (or 4th?) and for donation contests you get 2 items. both items were epic. one (useless) equipment and one affection item. the equipment was sold for more money than the contest would have rewarded if it wasn't a donation contest. so the rewards are not so bad sometimes. maybe it depends on your level or #girls and it will get better.

little sidenote: in the beginning it's easy to get kobans from contests so you should appreciate that. when you level up and reach more populated level ranges it will get harder and you won't get kobans on every contest.

57 minutes ago, Rand0m said:

...Even when it's two first places in a row?  See attached for the follow up contest I ran (which was pictured in my previous post).

If it's RNG, it's still very disappointing.  For first place I shouldn't be getting two greys (in a row, no less).  It really doesn't inspire me to pay money towards the game to spend towards running in these contests.

Screenshot_20180111-235058.png

I never said anything about the chances, because they are simply unknown.
I just said that for higher places the chance on something good is higher. But higher than close to 0% can still be close to 0%.
Epics probably have a decent chance on dropping (a few percents most likely).

RNG is RNG for a reason, it's random. And one thing with random processes is that you can get any result at any time.
One can only talk about averages of large sample sizes.
2 isn't a large sample size.

However, I can advice you to not do the contests for the giftboxes, because on average you will get something crappy.

21 hours ago, Chthugha said:

However, I can advice you to not do the contests for the giftboxes, because on average you will get something crappy.

Well, we agree - As per the thread title, the rewards are disappointing.

I think this could be easily solved by coding in Prize Pools (as per my previous post) to adequately reward ranked winners, even keeping some RNG about it, but cutting out any chance to receive greys as a reward for those attempting to win.

Right now there's no incentive to try, and therefore no incentive to pay for a membership (yes yes, I know Chthugha, the Kobans are the reward to you, but I can aim for items by simply not participating at all and get the same payout).

To capture more of my interest in grinding for a contest, a decent reward has to be there and, in my opinion, a handful of Kobans is not enough when the item prizes are the same chance at all levels.

Edited by Rand0m
Spelling (posting from mobile device)

22 hours ago, Habi said:

little sidenote: in the beginning it's easy to get kobans from contests so you should appreciate that. when you level up and reach more populated level ranges it will get harder and you won't get kobans on every contest.

Don't worry - The fact that there's a contest feature and reward at all is good, but this is a feedback section of the forum and I'm suggesting what I believe would make the contest rewards feel better without making them game-breakingly overpowered (see my previous post for Prize Pool suggestion).

I was honestly thinking of putting money towards the 30 day 'log in and collect each day' deal, but with the payouts (grey items) from my recent two 1st place wins I feel deflated and can't really justify the spend - Why pay to participate if the reward doesn't seem worth it (outside of supporting the artists/game, of course)?

The item in the gift is always random and if it's a item you can equip it's the same level as you so if you're close to leveling up wait before opening it.

In other words the item has nothing to do with how well you do in a contest the only reward that changes is the koban or money reward also they reduced how many kobans you can get from contests when they nerfed it.

It would be better just to make contests last 1-2 days at max than going on for 4 days since it's a bit to much.

1 hour ago, Rand0m said:

Pwoah...What rank did you get in those contests?

The item in the gift from contests is random it does not matter if you get 1st or last place in a contest you can either get a common white item or a epic/legendary item if you're lucky.

The only thing that changes in contests based on your rank in them is the koban or money reward nothing else changes.

Edited by natstar

On 1/13/2018 at 7:17 PM, natstar said:

The item in the gift from contests is random it does not matter if you get 1st or last place in a contest you can either get a common white item or a epic/legendary item if you're lucky.

The only thing that changes in contests based on your rank in them is the koban or money reward nothing else changes.

That's my point exactly - I believe that, if they introduced Prize Pools to randomlyu choose from based on your position at the end of the contest, it wouldn't just be all about the Kobans - You could really go all-in on a contest if you wanted a shot at getting a legendary item that you're after (RNG applies to what item you get and what position it's for, but it's be of legendary quality).  To me, that'd make the competition prizes a lot more worth while:  As you've agreed, nothing else changes regarding items whether you participate or not.

Another example is this screenshot - I think I placed second or third, but again a grey item...That shouldn't happen for ranked winners of a contest:

On 1/13/2018 at 6:40 PM, G0ku said:

Real reward is kobans, ok spend only Kobans
1st 540 kobans
2st 390 kobans
3st 270 kobans
4-10 150 kobans
11+ 70 kobans

*The competitions are several days of work!.

That's significantly more, but I'm not sure at what point it becomes game-breaking or not...Some people can get 9th place by simply spending $100 at the pachinko, so I'm not sure that'd equate to 150 Kobans, but that's one way of looking at it:  Either prize pool the items depending on tier, or dramatically increase the Kobans awarded.

2nd.jpg

True you're right, so doesn't seem like an easy decision to digest,

But I am currently seeing players who are not even encouraged to contribute 1 donation for position 4... there is no motivation. And contests against bosses, simply the reward does not compensate for the effort.

This is the example I'm referring to, is today.

5a5d3db0d1398_contestlol.thumb.png.441e32dec47fbd46296a5a946dd79eb2.png

The ideas that I can think of to fix this is.
 *Less frequent but synchronized contest for all players.
 *Up rewards in conquest. 1 spin epic pachinko for 1st is reasonable.

Optionally if you want to also... or for those who think of injustice,
 *Players who have finished the story, they can't spend energy to make points.
 *Fights against bosses should give the same points regardless of the boss, thinking of little experienced players.