Numerical System

EdMuse

I don't readily understand the numbering system used in the game.  I'm sure it's something automatic, perhaps not intentional, and that if I thought about it enough, I could easily work it out.  But let's face it: a clicker (actually, I play it more as an idle game) is not something one wants to put much thought into.  So numbers like "503.01D4" are kind of tough to parse out.  The most pertinent suggestion, though, is something I'm seeing regularly in the harem: right now, for instance, I have one girl at 1.47K out of 1.62K.  These numbers in the thousands are as many characters without the letter (1,620, for instance) as they are with the letter (1.62K); why not just use the number, rather than the letter?  To my eyes, it would make it easier to see where I'm at in terms of progress.  With larger numbers, using letters like M, B, T, etc., rather than A, B, C, D, makes sense, though I realize this could be language-dependent.

most idle or clicker game have a feature letting you choose between scientific or litteral numbers. 
example :

1000 = 1.0e3 = 1K

1 000 000 = 1.0e6 = 1M

1 000 000 000 = 1.0e9 = 1B

... you got me.

I guess here the A1 A1 A3 ... A9 B1 ... taking place after the more used K / M / B etc... are in fact more complex to understand, but as we talk about huge and huger numbers coming it is maybe a quite easy way to deal with, as everybody is able to say that A1 < A2 < A3 etc ... and A < B < C etc ...

I would like more the scientific notation, but in fact it is a little less convenient as the exponent increases it takes more and more space to write.

it goes longer with A/B/C... 0/9 before it requires to double the letter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind scientific notation, since it's a standard.  In fact, I figure other clickers use it because operating systems do it automatically.  Even so, 1.0e3 is the same number of characters to display as 1,000, but doesn't provide as exact a representation of the number, since 1,254, for instance, would be rounded off to 1.3e3.

I think the real problems, though, are in the combination of a standard numbering system -- K, M, B -- with a non-standard one -- A, B, C (note that we get B twice, don't we?), and the strange use of numbers after the letters.  For instance, I have a current purchase price that reads 104.65F3.  I literally have no idea what that means.  After 999.99F3, will it go to 999.99F4, or 1.00G1?  If this system just picks up with A after B for billion (A comes after B? 😶), that would mean A is trillion, right?  So 10.0A is 10 trillion, but what is 10.0A1?

Wow, after I posted this originally, I hadn't really thought through how little I actually understand this system!

So A1=trillion, A2=quadrillion, A3=quintillion, etc?  Because it also goes up to 999.99A1, so if that equals 999,000,000,000,000, then 1 quadrillion would come next.  And by the time you get to 1.0A9, that would equal to 1.0e39.  These, have to say, are outlandishly large numbers.  For instance, my 104.65F3 is equal to 104.65e153, or more -- significantly more! -- than the number of atoms in the universe (approximately 1e80).  I see two problems, here, still:  The devs have still invented a new and unfamiliar system to do the job of a familiar system that already existed.  And these numbers are ridiculously large.  That second issue might account, in part, for the fact that I've now been waiting for over three days to be able to do a forge reset, since that now happens for me at over stage 7200, and just upgrading a girl in my harem by one level costs more ymen than there are atoms in the universe. 🤣

Oh, also there's still the thing about numbers in the thousands being four digits long, and the game notation still being four characters, but not providing as recognizable and accurate of a representation of the number.  Basically, whatever system they use for larger numbers, they should just get rid of "k."

Having ridiculously large numbers goes hand in hand with clicker games. In Fap CEO you can hit e300. Some clicker games decide to go existing notation and some just use letters and numbers like here. I would certainly prefer they used something like mechanical notation, but in the end it doesn't make a big difference. 

You not being able to reset is a different issue and I already explained it to you elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, ThisIsNotMe said:

Having ridiculously large numbers goes hand in hand with clicker games. In Fap CEO you can hit e300. Some clicker games decide to go existing notation and some just use letters and numbers like here. I would certainly prefer they used something like mechanical notation, but in the end it doesn't make a big difference. 

I suppose you're right, it doesn't make that big of a difference.  It was just a suggestion that there are probably better -- and easier to implement -- ways to handle it.  I notice, for instance, that in your reply, you used regular scientific notation for "e300."

5 hours ago, ThisIsNotMe said:

You not being able to reset is a different issue and I already explained it to you elsewhere. 

Yes, I saw that, thanks.  I had posted that concern here before I saw your reply there.  Very informative, thank-you.

e300 is both scientific and mechanical notation as they are pretty similar. The difference is that scientific numbers are always between 1 and 10, while mechanical notation will be between 1 and 1000. So with engineering you are rounding to the nearest thousand, millionth, billionth, etc. 

So if the number was 12000, with scientific you would convert it to 1.2e4 while mechanical would be 12e3.  

Interesting.  So, same concept, different notation.  Me, I'm old enough that I learned scientific notation as 1.2x10^4, which now would be written 1.2e4.  In my experience, the newer notation came around with LED displays, such as on calculators, since they could easily make a capital E, but things like an x for multiplication, not so much.  In fact, the ^4 would have been superscripted and without the caret, but with the advent of computers, that went away, too, since for instance, the old Commodore and Apple ][ machines I originally learned to write code on couldn't do superscripted text.  They were also limited to ten digit numbers, so they had to do scientific notation for anything larger than that.