Contests - is there a +/- level range for competitors?

jamanga

I've recently reached level 400 (yay for me). What I've noticed is that contest competitors have become *much* tougher. I had a vague memory that competitors were +/- 20 levels, however yesterday's contest leader was level 474 (and happily spent a heap of kobans to stay there). Today the leader is level 469. Does anyone know what the level range is for players at level 400+?

As an aside, earlier this year I resigned myself to the fact that I will never catch-up enough XP to be competitive in D3 (i.e. top 15) even though I do make an effort to have the highest stats and best maxed girls possible, best equipment and use boosters when useful.  So now I play D2 and easily stay in the 15-30 level and pickup 1380 kobans each week. Not much fun competitively, but the best I can do. Contests though, have generally been fun but against 450+ level players, I'm not going to stand a chance either.

1 hour ago, GeorgeMTO said:

Contests are bracketed into groups of 40 levels, 1-40, 41-80, 81-120 ect, except for the final tier, which is just 400+ due to insufficient players above 441. I expect that eventually that grouping will end up being created too

Thanks George. That explains it (and sucks)

2 hours ago, Methos2 said:

Congratulation making into level 400. You're now in the 400+ bracket for contests. On the plus side, you can be competitive in D3. I reached 400 a month ago. I'm now making more kobans in D3 than when I was in D2.

Hi Methos2

Thanks for the encouragement!

I will give D3 a go again. I need to be top 30 for it to be worth it - last time I tried (about 4 months ago), I only just made top 45.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamanga said:

As an aside, earlier this year I resigned myself to the fact that I will never catch-up enough XP to be competitive in D3 (i.e. top 15) even though I do make an effort to have the highest stats and best maxed girls possible, best equipment and use boosters when useful.

Well, there's a level cap at 500, so eventually you'll be competitive in D3 if you put the effort. As for D3 "use boosters when useful" is "always" 😅.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kenrae said:

Well, there's a level cap at 500, so eventually you'll be competitive in D3 if you put the effort. As for D3 "use boosters when useful" is "always" 😅.

Thanks Kenrae - up to 402 already  :). Let's hope the cap remains for a while... so are there people at level 500 yet? I haven't noticed any.

By "when useful" I only meant once my challenge tokens have recharged. Thanks to the mythic orbs I have a heap of surplus boosters, so that's something. 

I ended up posting a potential solution re: D3: 

Edited by jamanga
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, jamanga said:

Thanks Kenrae - up to 402 already  :). Let's hope the cap remains for a while... so are there people at level 500 yet? I haven't noticed any. 

There's one player there and a second one about to reach it. More people are over level 490 and they'll reach that level before the end of the year (it takes ~2 weeks to levelup at that stage).

P.S: Whales don't win in D3. Older players win in D3, regardless of being a whale. F2P players win in D3 as long as they're high level and know how to play.

• Like 1