GEMS game design

lepidocter

I know, no one will read this, but I have fun designing games so why not.

How I'll change gems.

Problem A: too much asimmetry

The moment I'm writing I own 2500 Orange Gems and 120 White gems. Fun fact: I've promoted more Orange girls than White ones.

Simply speaking, White gems drop less. Coincidentally, many of the White girls of mine are L3*, so they cost way more than Orange ones (many are C3* or C5*). The issue is you don't have an equally distributed harem. Not even with 200+ girls.

Solution: market exchange. A new tab where you can exchange gems in the ratio of 2:1 (or 3:1). Spend 300 Orange gems to get 150 White gems (or just 100). This should somehow compensate without changing most of the balance.

Problem B: people hate gems

I dunno why, they added a new level of control over the game and I didn't see anyone spoiling it by money. Anyway, I understand the rant.

Solution: give gems another use - specifically, the one of dating tokens. Let's pick a Red Girl. To get her you need [1000- (collected shards*multiplier)] Red gems. The multipier decrease by rarity. Now probably people will love such gems and purchase them. It also seems fitting to the theme.

Problem C : Pyramidal Excess and Bottleneck

The Awakening Pyramid look to me as a last minute addition, something like a 'magic number' the moment designers knew someone can simply boost his best team and ignore all others. To force awakening and gem expenses, they came up with such magic numbers. Magic numbers are against the open nature of a progressive game. The bad effect is an evil bottleneck: you don't awake anymore, no need to purchase gems, as you're simply promoting 100+ unusefull Commons up to level 550. In the meanwhile, nothing actually change for your deployed teams. When reaching the requirement, levelling up flood in and then stop again.

Solution: progressive awake. That's mean that for every girl you awake, you add +x (+3?) girls to the lower tier requirement.

As an example: to awake the first girl to Level 300, you need three girls of level 250. To awake the second, you need six of level 250. And so on. To awake the first girl at level 350, you need three girls at level 300 (then six and so on).

Distributing this way probably will end to cost the same amount of gems, but should avoid any bottleneck.

(The first one telling 'the issue of gems is they do exist' won a doll, but I'll hate him forever)

• Like 1