Item about rising sun

reeloy

i got an item called rising sun in pachinko and noticed it symbolized the flag of Japan when they take control of Korea and Wage war against other countries.

so this item made me Knit one's brow. am i the only one who think this item should be removed? :(

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 0:19 AM, reeloy said:

i got an item called rising sun in pachinko and noticed it symbolized the flag of Japan when they take control of Korea and Wage war against other countries.

so this item made me Knit one's brow. am i the only one who think this item should be removed? :(

Yes, you're the only one it's been around since the 17th century.

Edited by Damoncord

On 10/7/2017 at 10:19 PM, reeloy said:

First let me say how much your thoughtful expression met with mine:  "Knit one's brow".  I could not agree more.  Frankly, thought I am not of Japanese heritage, this is something that doesn't represent the modern Japanese culture or society.  The vast majority will be embarrassed by this.  It is not the intention of ANY of us, including our developers, to bring any pain to our wonderful friends.  I appreciate and honor your thoughtful approach to this.  TY!

well, if you wish you certainly can characterize another member.  You are welcome to do so.  well within your rights.

Nevertheless, despite your opinion and thoughts, another member reeloy, found his brow knit.  Perhaps, but I am only guessing, he felt obligated to speak out.

I'm glad he did.  When I read his concerns, I found, a bit to my surprize, my brow was similarly knit.

I find a man of reeloy's compassion and intuition very refreshing in this day when dullards take leadership upon themselves in various capacities.  His attitude and reasoned willingness to take an unpopular stand is just what we need more of.

I am happy to think, along with him, this item might best be removed.  Certainly, I wouldn't expect to have to say more about expressing my opinion, especially since you don't find it particularly controversial or worthy of much concern.  thanks for reading.

brassy

people are entitled to their own opinion's, and they are another right nor wrong, the item made him feel uncomfortable, and he spoke out about it, obviously it bothers other people as well, including myself, and that spoke their desire and opinion to have it removed. 

I have mixed feelings on this one. I'm against censorship, but pro people's rights and feelings.

That was the flag under which atrocities were committed during the war, and that Japanese military no longer use it themselves suggests their own shame at its recent history, despite a much longer more illustrious past history. I just read an interesting article by a Japanese American which also mentioned that Japan now has more peace museums than any other nation.

I guess how might other people feel about a depiction of a KKK hood or a swastika. Or a confederate flag?

Tho even the swastika has contrasting history of peaceful use far before the last century, in India.

I think the whole thing also shows a bit of an overreaction. As with all these things there are two major forces at work: intent and perception. And I don't think it was the intent of being offensive or anything like that. Which then makes this boil down to perception. You may not like something,sure, that's within everyones right, but removing something just because a small group of people doesn't like it is never a good idea. That leads up to plain censorship. Because what'll be next? Oh I know: I consider it offensive how you guys mocked the ancient bushido arts by making it look related to gang bangs. If you go down that road you can just as well stop the entire game, because there's always going to be something which is going to be disliked by some people.

To me this is no different than the "Iron cross" used by Nazi Germany in world war 2. That symbol is still being used today even though it has direct roots within a lot of "bad thing". Sure, that might offend some people, but in the end it also showcases a history and serves as a reminder for both the Germans as well as others of a dark time which is better not forgotten, because if you ignore the past you'll be more or less condemned to repeat it.

Which, for me, is another reason not to remove symbols like the one in the game just because some people don't like it.

Trying to deny history has never helped anyone, quite the contrary even.

• Like 1

reeloy only posted the one message.  Who knows if he is still playing?

An uncle in my family went to prison for a minor drug possession crime of marijuana.  Charge was literally possession of a few rolled marijuana cigarettes he took to a concert.  On the way back he was in a car that inadvertently crossed an international border.

While in prison, he developed an aversion to eating off plastic. 

Now our family rotates family gatherings such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.  For all of us, it is an easier cleanup to use disposable (plastic) items:  utensils, cups, plates.

But, the day he was released we got together as a family and decided never to use plastic at any meal again so my uncle, our uncle could fully enjoy the holidays.

Time went by and guess what the new family members (brothers get married) said? 

"Ha,ha,ha.  That is all in his head.  He can just get over it.  If he wants to eat dinner at "my" house, he can just eat off what we give him".

My compassion and my love is for my uncle.

Now, every Thanksgiving we have a "pre-feast" at my house.  Everyone is invited.  We eat off my best silver and my fine china.

Nearly every year someone asks why I do it and don't I mind all the dishes.

I smile and usually my uncle helps me clean up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DREW77 said:

I have mixed feelings on this one. I'm against censorship, but pro people's rights and feelings.

That was the flag under which atrocities were committed during the war, and that Japanese military no longer use it themselves suggests their own shame at its recent history, despite a much longer more illustrious past history. I just read an interesting article by a Japanese American which also mentioned that Japan now has more peace museums than any other nation.

I guess how might other people feel about a depiction of a KKK hood or a swastika. Or a confederate flag?

Tho even the swastika has contrasting history of peaceful use far before the last century, in India.

It's still in use in Japan today. 

From Wikipedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_Flag

It is still used in Japan as a symbol of tradition and good fortune, and is incorporated into commercial products and advertisements. The flag is currently flown by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Forceand a modified version is flown by the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force.

I find the last part of the article interesting. 

Issues regarding the flag in China and South Korea[edit]

Due to the flag being used by the Imperial Japanese military and Japan's actions during World War II, many Koreans,[3][4][5] whose country had been oppressed under Japanese rule, and Chinese[6] find the flag to be offensive. Because of this, the use of the flag is considered to be controversial. Although they protest the rising sun flag, no country prohibits from using it by law. Moreover, the South Korean Navy's position is that there are no problems with the carrying of the rising sun flag by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force warships. It would be an infringement of sovereignty if the Korean Navy requested to not carry the rising sun flag.[15] An analysis indicates that Korean reactions to the rising sun flag stem from the complicating emotion of excessive nationalism and nationalistic complex toward Japan.[16] The Washington Post has mentioned the flag possesses links to Japan's imperialism and therefore leading to provocation for countries that are mainly affected by Japan in the first half of 20th century.[17]

Edited by Damoncord

11 hours ago, Damoncord said:

It's still in use in Japan today. 

From Wikipedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_Flag

It is still used in Japan as a symbol of tradition and good fortune, and is incorporated into commercial products and advertisements. The flag is currently flown by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Forceand a mod.......

I know it is still in use today, but there is controversy, particuarly when people fly it and go marching into Koreatown chanting "Kill the Koreans".

Yes there is controversy, and yes I was partly inaccurate in some of what I wrote. The military did stop using it for a while lol.