An human point of view on the situation

lepidocter

Big things are moving on the East front.

The USA perspective is surely about another conflict near Balcans, who care, the evil communists and blah blah blah. If I trace a line from my house and the crisis area, it's terribly short. Today I've seen a group of eastern europe oldies debating on the situation in my city square. The 'conflict', at least ideologically, is there.

Strange fact just this weekend I visited the Orthodox Church, a masterpiece of architecture. From one of the windows, you can see the Anglican church and from the upper window the Lutheran one.

It's hard to hate people. People do wonderful things. The more I grow, the more I grow aware that politics aren't people. Nations aren't cultures. Needs aren't dreams.

If I had the power to decide, I'll surely decide to find the overall cause of tensions and eradicate it. Every past is now dead, we live in a world of total cultural share, I know that behind everyone reading me doesn't hide a sneaky communist or a perv yankee (maybe just a "perv" XD). Human beings aren't like that. So, there's surely something wrong in the way we manage high level politics, if the base is instead so empathical and the superstructure isn't.

I'll bet that no one, knowing the victims of his actions, will pull the trigger. Whatever the economical reason behind. Yesterday the national TV aired an interview of Ukraine people, an old man came in telling "They cannot attack us, I have friends the other side of border!". That's what people think.

Geopolitical affairs are different. As said, politics are not people. The Russia and USA talking are not russian and american people. They are instead abstract entities that control abstract interests that broadly and unpredictably have consequences on some economic. Russia want to enlarge to survive. USA want to put a border.

Maybe I'm an idealist, but probably such facts should be subsidiary to other principles, more attuned to human actual conditions. I dunno if the Russian man of the street and the USA man of the street felt the uncanny urge of debating on borders and life space. And I can bet with a reasonable chance of winning that whatever the outcome, none of them will collect a single dime out of it.

At the same time I like to be an idealist, way more than being a fatalist that accept facts, debate on them and think life is about "being right". When someone tell "ok, WW3, we're all died" I suppose their existance is so devoid of humanity... We did nations and declarations and religions and most of art and literature just on the base of ideals. Ideals are the only way we don't go extincts and keep us alive. Stars cannot have ideals. We can. We are the better thing in the Universe, so whatever, let's make them prevail. Or we'll be less than simple matter moving.

Anyway, public opinion matter and I'm quite sure that the abstract organs that rules us will do whatever to hint you there's a ferocious enemy that hate you by the other front. Public opinion matter, if you like me did some army service you'll know how much propaganda, mostly a *subtle* propaganda, pick chosen words to tell you the other side is scheming on you.

"Russia is about to invade!". Isn't russian people invading. "USA will put on sanctions". Isn't USA people strangling you.

Don't get cheated. The russian granny is cuddling his nephews right now, praying that the older one doesn't get his father aptitude. Two american guys holding hands decide that's the moment is come to get a child. All of them are fearing death, that will come too close and in the middle of something, they search for renown, love and health, they get moved for emotions and their minds are full of beautiful adventures that they will never engage, but whatever, is like holding a gem in a case.

So, I only hope that this situation will not stop me to met world people, dialogue with them and find similarities, divergences, new way to spot nice details. Once, a russian girl shown me how to speak to crows. And once, an american guy shown me how to whistle.

Try not to get cheated. There's no enemy, at least this time. Maybe this way, debunking such illusion, things will not escalate to the worst. We now know what move war, and isn't people.

Thank you for reading this.

• Like 1
  • Hearts 1

Hey,

Political topics tend to go badly for forums. In one of the communities I've been part of there was a closed forum for chats - visible to members only, no internet search crawlers of any kind. Besides common sense they had one rule - no politics. They tried to go without it. Highly moderated space for community's inner circle with a dozen moderators visiting on daily basis - they had to re-enact the rule when they tried lifting it. Every. Single. Time.

And so, I'm going to have to lock this thread.

"Russians love their children too", @lepidocter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1