EU articles 11 and 13

TeeJay

With the passing of this fucktardian basket of crap-ass laws* and rules, do you foresee any difficulty for your work due to copy-right holders seeking you out for compensation for your parodying of their work?

*the Copyright in the Digital Single Market Directive

First of all, I believe that this topic should belong to the off-topic section as it is not connected directly to the game.

Secondly, I don't like it either. But I don't do anything specific to make money on that would violate these new rules. Although, I guess I will be forced to stop drawing fanarts and posting them on Instagram.

We will see how it will look in practice.

13 hours ago, Kojot said:

First of all, I believe that this topic should belong to the off-topic section as it is not connected directly to the game.

Secondly, I don't like it either. But I don't do anything specific to make money on that would violate these new rules. Although, I guess I will be forced to stop drawing fanarts and posting them on Instagram.

We will see how it will look in practice.

Okies on moving it here. I see you reasoning.

As my reason for posting it in general, it seemed as if something that could affect the entire game. There's already discussion on it on some of my Reddit channels I'm on and how some people are worried about or actually going to have to stop posting their parody works. So, with that I thought of here and wondered how Kinkoid felt it might affect their work.

13 hours ago, Chthugha said:

Parodies should still be legal 🤔

It is about the direct usage of copyrighted stuff.

Yes, they should be. I believe there was some mention of that. But, then, in the US we also have Fair Use which covers that. Despite that, Youtubers who exercise material well within Fair Use are constantly flagged, shut down, and copy-right trolled. So there's what's covered and, as the EFF points out, what is enforceable. This also includes who will protect users from unreasonable assault upon fair usage.

So, these are the thoughts and concerns in my head. We can hope for the best but, so far, history has shown us that the worse can, and usually does, happen.

while I liked the political interest of the people about new copy right laws, I realized yesterday that #TERREG is the "dot on the i".

BEcause there they talk about censorship in general because any website has to restrict "terror propaganda" to be published - and eu commision talks about to get it into immediate law and the "final rounds" should start in the next two weeks, first voting here is on APril 8th.

My main problem here is "who defines what is terror?" - and why is a private website - regardless their revenue - responsible to speak law - something that is court's duty.

and when I look upon copyright laws: to decide wether it is freedom of the arts or plagiarism takes weeks in court, complicate examples years.

That is nothing any kind of computer algorithm can decide.

Regardless the facts that the claim "putting google & facebook back" is just missed when these are the only one with a somewhat working content id system - so if I have to buy one, I need to buy it there. and second problem: it was claimed to "strengthen the artist" - but article 16 was about to correct European Supreme Court rule of 2-3 years ago which simply stated that the distributor illegally collected money that belonged to the artists...

Edited by windia

I think that this site is legal in Internet comunity like I am in Global comunities... The fact that I ware a shirt like thousands others, you just must declare that I've stolen from you... This is problematic, but the users of this site still enjoy... So, if you have problem with that, ask somebody else... Till then, happy jerking, fellows... :)

I guess you miss a point there: the eu copy right reform requires (at the end) any [european] website to block publishing copyright infringed material.

that includes movies, music, pictures, text.

and I'm writing & uploading text right now - so the owner of haremheroes are forced to implement a way to avoid that my now written text is copyright infringement.

because written text can be the copyright of someone. somewhere. this seems to be mine but how do you know i did not copy it?

That is what I say is technically impossible - because quotes are still legal.

And even more impossible if a software has to decide wether a picture is infringement or fair use like a meme.

with music and movies they added e.g. content id which is in percentage not much more data but it still fails.