The problem with Seasons... and how to (maybe) fix it

Makinen

Okay, so i've participated heavily in every Seasons so far, got the first Girl in every one, and the second one... once or twice.

The problem i keep running into every single month is not the beginning. Points are plentiful then as everyone is gunning for Rank 26. However, the problem is related to that: There is no real incentive for people to go beyond that number: I've noticed 26 is the stopping point for a number of players, and those with the Seasons Pass also have no real drive to continue as they already unlocked both Girls at Rank 31. Which means those without a Seasons Pass gunning for Rank 51 face an ever increasing uphill battle.

Since the Mojo awarded for a win is linked to an opponent's Mojo relative to your own, those that stop putting effort in consequently make it harder for those wanting to continue to gather points as well, in essence encouraging them to call it quits at 26 next month also. By the time you'll start hitting Rank 40, most of your opponents will award 1-5 Mojo on average, with the number of 1s increasing as time goes on. Which also means that, should one lose, they get docked 39 (40 - 1) Mojo, which would cost them 20 wins to recover from at zero net gain. And in my honest opinion, a game mechanic that encourages players to stop participating in it isn't working the way it's supposed to.

My suggestion to fix this would be to add a Troll. A Boss, so to speak, that awards a set amount of points (10-15 sounds reasonable) and whose stats increase in accordance with the virtual Rank they would be on, possibly even linked to your own current Mojo count. Fighting players could still (on paper, at least) remain more profitable with a cap of 40 Mojo for a win, but you wouldn't be as deadlocked in the higher Ranks as you currently are doomed to be. Wouldn't even be that big of a change, we're already hitting the same 4 people over and over again anyway :P 

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This is a problem of your own creation. Your slow experience gain from you not participating in leagues, mean that you are not able to keep pace in terms of potential opponents. It has to pick those opponents within a certain mojo range, but also a certain level range. This experience might occur for a month or two for players, but then they'll level beyond it, and there's nothing wrong with a feature not being fully completable by new players. I think a player not participating in large portions of the game, should not expect the game to balance around themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seasons is not broken. Your assumptions are wrong. I suspect it is because you do not play Seasons to get the girls, you play Seasons to get the girls quickly. There is no advantage or reward for finishing quickly.

If you play slowly, using the whole month, you will not have the problems you describe. If you play slowly you can keep your rank around 7000 and have no problem finding you can beat one of the opponents almost every time. (If you are using some boosters, you can get the same results at around rank 5000.) That's how I play. I never see opponent mojo outside the 14-26 range. I go up about two levels per day and get the second girl with about 7-10 days left in the month. I have never spent a koban to skip a fight. I have never bought a kisses refill. If you have to lose, do so against the highest mojo opponent so you lose the least.

Don't worry at all about advancing after getting the 2nd girl. That lets you drop in rank for a while so you have an easy time winning P vs P fights in the final event of the month. During that, all you care about is a win, so do it against the lowest mojo level you can beat to avoid increasing your rank, thus insuring easier opponents. That is also a good time to use up the reward kisses you've earned. Since you seem to be in a hurry, I wouldn't be surprised if you cash in the kisses rewards on the final day so you can start out the new Season at a sprint. Again, that leads to problems because your rank increases too quickly and leads to the problems you mention.

From the patch notes it sounds like they will make it slightly more difficult next month but I think this strategy will still work.

• Like 5

@Makinen The problem is that you are keeping yourself in a low level instead of trying to advance. Surely it has some advantages from your point of view, but the consequence in seasons is that because of the level difference used in the selection of opponents you have a very small pool of players to choose, and as you advance tiers you are left only with the ones with lower mojo than you. The idea of a troll or bot as in the older arena is interesting but not necessary because the actual system works well with most players, leaving aside very new ones.

• Like 2

I actually can beat the majority of my opponents (as in, all but one or two) and of the ones i cannot, i memorize when their boosts tend to run out so i can beat them also. But even my direct competitors are only "worth" 5-7 Mojo at this point.

@DocJD I am currently Rank 47, with 10,200 Mojo. Rank 45-48 is where i usually end up after not wasting more than a handful of Kisses for the entire month and winning 99,5% of all my fights. 7,000 Mojo is Rank 31, that is and has never been the problem: The second Girl is on 11,000 Mojo, which i'm very unlikely to get. I'm just not generating the revenue for it.

@jelom Well.. To be fair, the problem i'm seeing is that this is an issue not just for me, but everyone in the lower levels: Seasons is dependent on having a pool of random players that is also competing, in order for anyone to reach its higher tier rewards. A troll option giving a set amount of points (so you'd choose between 3 opponents and a troll) would mitigate the issue of not seeing anyone with decent Mojo payouts to hit. People that can finish Seasons due to their level bracket will still be able to finish with or without the troll, but those in poorer level brackets will still have a means of gaining points. It's a crutch, not a handout: In the end, they'd still need to actually make the hits and participate, which is and should be the point of having a game feature.

Dude, you invented a problem by playing not only sub-optimally, but with some set of outside restrictions. It's like if I demanded the combativity bar to be raised to 40 because I only log in once a day.

Just face the music you set yourself and dance. Or not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Makinen said:

[...] Well.. To be fair, the problem i'm seeing is that this is an issue not just for me, but everyone in the lower levels: [...]

no, it is not. 

Even on test server where I started an account at the beginning of April I ran only due to one reason into "not progressing" trouble:

I needed to stay on a certain level to collect some specific data - in the middle of it.

So I did _no_ XP progression at all and soon my Season opponents run out of high mojo rewards (1 -> not 1+, 1).

Now as I passed that point, I "reattach" to the higher mojos, getting 10+ to 30+ 

Edited by windia
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Makinen said:

@DocJD I am currently Rank 47, with 10,200 Mojo. Rank 45-48 is where i usually end up after not wasting more than a handful of Kisses for the entire month and winning 99,5% of all my fights. 7,000 Mojo is Rank 31, that is and has never been the problem: The second Girl is on 11,000 Mojo, which i'm very unlikely to get. I'm just not generating the revenue for it.

On the Seasons Leaderboard, Rank 47 is at Tier 58 and has well over 25,000 mojo. There must be something you don't understand about Rank.

I am Rank 16,171 and have 12,555 mojo.

Edited by DocJD

8 minutes ago, DocJD said:

On the Seasons Leaderboard, Rank 47 is at Tier 58 and has well over 25,000 mojo. There must be something you don't understand about Rank.

I am Rank 16,171 and have 12,555 mojo.

Nutaku and HH.com have different leaderboards. Maybe that's why you're not seeing the same numbers.

12 minutes ago, MCP said:

Nutaku and HH.com have different leaderboards. Maybe that's why you're not seeing the same numbers.

"I am currently Rank 47, with 10,200 Mojo. Rank 45-48 is where i usually end up after not wasting more than a handful of Kisses for the entire month and winning 99,5% of all my fights. 7,000 Mojo is Rank 31, that is and has never been the problem: The second Girl is on 11,000 Mojo"

There is no way Rank 31 could have less Mojo than Rank 47. I think he has confused Rank with Tier. Otherwise Nutaku is completely screwed up. I'm not sure he has ever looked at his Leaderboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 6:01 AM, GeorgeMTO said:

Look, that one is completely obvious. He's dumb, so he's just using the wrong word.

Now that the ban you imposed is over, would you mind editing out the part where you call me dumb?

And yes, i did indeed mean Tiers, as most had already correctly guessed from context.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh come on, George, don't be like that. It's a perfectly valid moderator question after all.

Why is it that you can call me (as in, the person, not the posts or suggestions in them) dumb and that's all fine, so fine in fact that you feel perfectly justified in sticking to your guns despite being repeatedly requested not to, yet when i reply calling you salty, i got banned for two weeks? Can i make fun of people posting feedback i don't like in the feedback forum too? Are we allowed to call each other dumb now?

I am quite curious as to what forum rule came into play here. Please, share your wisdom so i may know what to avoid in the future.