They Are Listening!

Shandy

The last survey "seemed" to force us to make choices that we did not really care for and we posted our feelings about it on another thread...now we have a new Survey and Wahoo, lots of minor improvements but improvements that would be more useful to us...my only complaint is they should have had a 25th page to allow us a comment on things we would like to see.

I said it many times being a game designer is like being a chef asked to make meals for 500 guests using 1,000 ingredients...not an easy task...but i get the feeling the Kinkoid Krew are paying attention and working hard.

What seems like a great idea in the boardroom might not work in the game. It takes Time and Patience to achieve perfection :)

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

The "improvements" that you're quoting are animations? Or picking stuff already there by the HH++ script?

I'd like to discuss about what does mean to be a game designer, but I suppose you don't want to be lectured about how a relationship boss-freelancer work for real. "Perfection" is not the goal.

• Like 1

well, the surveys are sometimes kinda black & white. there are more answers than "like", "hate" and sometimes "don't care" for some questions. for me it was for example the question about the waifu slideshow. i generally like the idea but i would have added that i would really love it if i could adjust the positions and maybe zoom in and out since you can see only the head or some other bodypart if the waifu is not standing.

• Like 1

They need a comment area for all question so you can give the reason for your answer. I had to put don't care for a few because the other answers would be conditional. example, there like what do you want animated star 1,2,3,none. the answer is all with the option to turn off as on some browser if animated girl is picked pages slows down. also I may want girl A 2 star and girl B 3 star animated. its not a set across the board answer. But there only going to looks at the pie chart and not the comments so that would be the issue there.

• Like 2

Don't get your hopes up about the comment areas in surveys, folks. These are not read (by Rosso and his data analyst, at least, that we know of). They're there for the sake of being there, but they only compile the data from the boxes you can tick. You know, so they can automate the process and then have a pie chart and other powerpoint like stuff to look at, even if it doesn't make sense from the way the questions were phrased, or if they misinterpret the results due to various biases and/or lack of experience on statistics and survey analysis.

Edit: Good examples of those systemic issues with how KK handle their surveys would be the two about future features. In both cases, even though there were individual areas and questions about each individual potential feature, sometimes including the option to say "I don't want this one" (but not always)... The final "question", which wasn't really even one, and seemed all but superfluous and additional while answering the survey ("in which order of priority should we implement all these features?" ~=)... turned out to be the MAIN (if not the only) thing they used to make the published pie charts on "player preferences", and incorrectly interpret these as such. Even though by no means was any of this correct or accurate from the method to the phrasing to the options given to which data was compiled (and which was discarded) to how data saying X was misrepresented as actually saying Z to how these were ultimately misinterpreted and used and presented as "what players want (the most)". At best, it was "if forced to get all of these new features anyway, which would you accept the less reluctantly right now?".

So yeah, don't write the next War & Peace in the comments in surveys. ^^

Edited by DvDivXXX
updated
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

How the thing work.

The Boss did an yearly brainstorm, mostly by observing other games ("Hey, look, they play this game that have a Boss Bang! Let's add such Boss Bang!"). This come with a list of features. Each month pick one and pay a computer guy to add it. The computer guy test for code bugs in the test server and the thing get added.

-Michail, add a waifu

-There isn't enough place. Can I move buttons around?

-How much this thing will cost me?

-Nothing.

-Ok, do it.

-Can I redesign buttons?

-No, my monthly budget pay only for the Waifu.

The game is not developed by a studio that get produced (payed) by a producer to do his job. Is conceived by the same producer. The overall quality is not a concern as long a feature return from the cost. So it's more a commercial bargain that a design matter, as this is the main concern of a producer.

The thing will work way more differently if there's a designer team that get a monthly check as long the game get incomes. In such instance, the game will evolve out of producer control, and the team will be way more focused on user feedback. For the team, you're a player that require quality of gameplay. For the producer you're a customer that move on purchasing compulsions (this struggle producer-designers should explain you why some AAA+ game can sucks: divergence of visions and fee models).

So, read the survey as: I did some math, and I have some spare cash left each month for art. Do you want that I spend it for animations or I can buy a new car? I also have some spare cash this month for the game design, I should spend it for adding a snippet of code or I can spare it for my new shoes?

*ANYWAY* as I told many times, KK is on the bright side of this logic. So the above shouldn't sound so negative. You're a customer, but not a cow to milk out. They pay some respect to you. Many other companies in this 'dark' industry aren't so respectful to you.

• Like 3

They should stop doing surveys until everything the scripts do are added to the game should not need a add on for a game when they seem to have heaps of time or hire people doing the scripts and have them in charge of approving any game changes because at least they play the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shandy said:

The last survey "seemed" to force us to make choices that we did not really care for and we posted our feelings about it on another thread...now we have a new Survey and Wahoo, lots of minor improvements but improvements that would be more useful to us...my only complaint is they should have had a 25th page to allow us a comment on things we would like to see.

I said it many times being a game designer is like being a chef asked to make meals for 500 guests using 1,000 ingredients...not an easy task...but i get the feeling the Kinkoid Krew are paying attention and working hard.

What seems like a great idea in the boardroom might not work in the game. It takes Time and Patience to achieve perfection :)

I would have liked to see a page for this stuff vs the previous survey winners :P

I've seen many people barking for less new, more quality of life.
I would prefer that myself, notably if they are quicker (even if "uncreative") wins.

Edited by jpanda