League reset and tokens

Ben9

It would be much fairer if at the start of each league season the token meter started empty not full.  This would give everyone no matter which timezone up to 8.25hrs to use some tokens before the cap is reached.   Starting with the meter full greatly advantages players who are awake when the league resets as they can use their tokens immediately and avoid hitting the cap. 

To balance this you could remove a few players from each league so that you can still battle the same number of players per season.

• Like 3

Under any system of resets between seasons (full or empty) if you are asleep at the end of the season with charges built up you are going to lose any advantage they give you.  The only way around that I can think of is to not reset at all.  

However under the current system if you sleep during the reset you are getting penalized twice.  As you rightly point out you are going to miss using some tokens at the end of the season if you are asleep and let charges build up.  Then the reset happens and you are at cap and still asleep, while other ppl use theirs instantly and start regenerating them.  Overall the net effect of that is you lose some tokens both at the start and at the end of each season.  What I'm suggesting is a way to stop you losing them at the start, it wouldn't help fix the end though. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am with Ben9 (no auto-fill on reset) on this one. It also takes away the incentive to hammer the server at reset + 1 sec. Under the current full bar on reset system every second between reset and your 1st completed challenge reduces the max number of free challenges you get in a season. I can never get on until reset + 10 min. Sometimes I am locked out for 30 min. An empty bar at reset means a calmer server.

If you did go to "no auto-fill on reset" you would also probably want to:

• reduce bracket size by 5 (because 15 fewer challenges in a season)
  • increase time to earn a token by 1 min 45 sec (5% so free challenges vs opponents ratio is the same)
  • increase XP awarded for a challenge by 5% (so total XP available in a season is the same)

GeorgeMTO's suggestion (no auto-fill on reset + carry over unused tokens) (sorry if I am miss-interpreting) has merit too. Ben9's suggestion keeps the clean division between seasons. Each season is its own thing. May the best team win. GeorgeMTO's suggestion adds a layer of strategy. 10 banked challenges may be inconsequential in season 2 but in season 3 they may get you into a higher payout bracket and allow you to finish ahead of stronger teams. Both suggestions avoid penalizing bad luck time zones.

Full disclosure: the current full bar system does not hurt me. I am online then anyway. I just do not like the annoyance of spending 10-30 min trying to get the server to complete a challenge.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:52 AM, snowman22 said:

Under the current full bar on reset system every second between reset and your 1st completed challenge reduces the max number of free challenges you get in a season.

I agree with all of your points, except this statement. One week is perfectly divisible by 35 minutes. As long as you get your first free battle in withing the first 35 minutes after a server reset, you'll have the same amount of free battles as everyone else. However, if you use kobans later, then you can save a few by starting earlier. Otherwise, both the clean reset and carryover options both have merit.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 5:52 AM, GeorgeMTO said:

Well that's what I mean. I'd prefer the charge tokens carried over, that's a 'fairer' solution in my mind.

This way you're gonna have to make choice to use your tokens in the season or to keep them for the next one. Adds some strategical thinking to the game.

Edited by pogeja

On 11/20/2018 at 6:19 AM, Moe Overload said:

I agree with all of your points, except this statement. One week is perfectly divisible by 35 minutes. As long as you get your first free battle in withing the first 35 minutes after a server reset, you'll have the same amount of free battles as everyone else. However, if you use kobans later, then you can save a few by starting earlier. Otherwise, both the clean reset and carryover options both have merit.

You know Moe Overload, when you are right you are right. I did not bother checking the divisibility. I suggest Kinkoid make some effort to make players aware of this. We could call the 1st 35 mins the MOZone. "1 challenge during the MOZone then chill." You just made my life more relaxing.

I actually prefer (and appreciate) the auto-refill at the reset. 

There is a finite amount of battles that all members in the league can do in one week -- it doesn't matter that the week can be perfectly divisible by 35 mins.  Everyone gets the same amount of opponents and battle opportunities.  Spending kobans does not give anyone an advantage over anyone else -- they just give a person a chance to catch up to the others if they've fallen behind.  The only varying factors to help one to succeed in a league are whether people play or not, if they level up, gear up, boost up to increase battle stats or not, or they get the occasional crit from the RNG. 

A person could spend a ton of kobans at reset and battle everyone in their league in an hour, and then they would have no one else to battle until the league is reset in 1 week.  They may be ranked #1 for a few days because they racked up a bunch of win/loss points quickly, but they are just sitting there while everyone else uses their free refills and towards the mid to end of the week, most likely push that person out of the #1 position (depending on the comparison of wins/losses, of course).  And if anyone is lagging behind and cannot use their 15 tokens in an 8.75 hours refill period (because of life, sleep, or whatever), they can spend a few kobans to catch up to the rest of the league.  

Getting the free battles upfront is nice of the devs to allow us to start playing right away and not have to wait 35 mins for the first battle token.   Thanks, Devs!  

I prefer the "have what you collect" idea - neither full nor empty slot.

That is in my eyes the fairest way to deal with all timezones that sleep during reset.

And you get leverage against the ones that can battle right before and after reset. Because these one can "calculate" their placing chances and react in last minutes - and they got a fresh start 5 mins later. All sleepers need to compensate with kobans what the awakers got free.

My combativity points have no weekly refill, my harem hasn't. (because it was there before the league, I assume).

This is not a "complaint" as it is F2P. Just my opinion about "fair".