Insanely high processor usage

Moe Overload

I keep six tabs open during the day on a second laptop. The harem, market, and arena screens on both HH and the test server. I have no other tabs open in firefox (writing this on Chrome). Firefox is using between 25 and 35% of my total processor usage (i7 6700HQ). If I open a tab to a different static page and close my Hentai Heroes tabs, the processor usage returns to normal. This is causing my processor temp to jump from 45 degrees to 90 degrees when I have HH open. Also, it's using 50% of my integrated GPU's 3D processing power (Intel HD 530).

What's going on? Is the JS horribly optimized and causing it to run like crazy? Is HH using my browser to mine bitcoin? It was annoying earlier, with my fan occasionally turning on from just HH, but now it's running at full blast non-stop to handle the load of a browser game that doesn't have any 3D models or any animations. I don't mind that this is a game with only static images, but it would be nice to put the appropriate load on my cpu.

I can't pretend to be the all-knowing one but, as far as I know, the system resurces browsers consume are directly proportional both to the weight of the page (measurable by the time the full page needs to load) and to the number of tabs/windows that one keeps open, and the situation gets worse if one has windows opened belonging to different browsers. I suppose that on different systems a different quantity of tabs/windows may stay opened without problems, depending entirely on how high the system resources are and on the age and maintenance state of the system. Being still bound to the use of a PC with Windows XP (Dual core 2.00 GHz, 1 GB RAM) I can offer a "lower" visualization. On my PC, directly after the PC periodic maintenance and cleaning, after opening four Windows or tabs in Chrome (the lightest browser), at the fifth the PC starts to slow visibly and my HDD may be clearly heard high working at every change of tab/window, especially if i try to open Firefox. In the situation described by Moe, I would probably need a good 20-30 seconds to switch Windows.
Dunno if this may be useful information to compare things and judge better your situation, but I hope it may help.

I've noticed the same thing in Chrome over the last few days with three game tabs open (town / market / arena). As far as I can tell it's primarily the town page that is driving the CPU usage for me, and when I've used the harem page instead it was even worse. Strangely enough it's not always happening, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly causes it. At this exact moment it's fine.

One page that has been spiking my CPU for a long time is the activities page, while missions are being counted down - that used to only happen in Chrome incognito sessions, but now it's sometimes going on in normal tabs as well.

I suspect that some of the timers are badly optimized on the town, harem and activities pages, or perhaps there's some sort of tipping point where the number of active timers becomes too large to be handled with "normal" CPU loads.

Edit: Over on Discord, somebody made a vague claim a couple of days ago that his CPU issues began when the Black Friday promo was added to the main page. Might be a coincidence, or perhaps that pulsating promo logo is adding some extra load that normally isn't there. If so, we'll know in a few hours.

Edited by _shal_

8 hours ago, _shal_ said:

I suspect that some of the timers are badly optimized on the town, harem and activities pages.

This I can 100% confirm. I've done a few tests and the timers skew like crazy. Try to collect on a 15 minute quest the moment it finishes. It'll lock up the activities page. Refresh, and you'll see you still have a full minute left. Also, try collecting money religiously from the harem page for an hour. You'll see that the harem page will say that you have all the money collected. However, if you open the home page, it'll say there's still money to collect. Refresh the harem page and you'll see a bunch of girls that are ready to have money collected.

I suspect that they send out a timer an have JS count it down. However, instead of sending the remaining time, they should send the timestamp when it'll be done (along with the server time to confirm the offset), and then have a local timer implementation that compares the current time to planned completion time.

also noticed this. started a while ago. now i always minimize the browser as that hibernates js. i see cpu usage go down a few secs after minimizing. sometimes i have to refresh the page to get correct timers again due to this.

it's really annoying. i'd appreciate putting resources in performance optimization.

I am using firefox but i usually have only one or two tabs of HH open, not six as you do. And if i minimize the browser or change to other empty tab the cpu and gpu goes down inmediately, so only the active page should made most of the processor time.

The web page is not static, it has a lot of dynamic content, background animations for pachinko glowing logo, and steam in the harem in the main page are some examples, and of course all the timers. The black friday offer animation was especially annoying playing every few seconds and causing spikes of CPU and GPU.

One way to mitigate it is blocking some of that animations, you can do that with ABP, Stylus or other tools/complements for the browser.