Weekly Reward

Robertoooo

Programs like this game often don't have a reason to store or back-up the kind of data that is relevant to the weekly ToF tallies.  They're designed to count until the critical time, assign rewards, and reset for the next cycle.  It's more likely that on the test server this information is dumped for debugging purposes, but it would be surprising to me if it was regularly saved for the main/nutaku servers.

As such, I believe we'll be getting  across-the-board apologetic compensation rather than the rewards we were expecting.  If I'm right, the people who busted their hump to achieve something special will get the same compensation as a person who did nothing for 2 weeks.  It sucks, but that's the just how things go with errors of this type.

(In systems that handle critical information reconstructing the past is much easier because data dumps are done frequently, or every data transaction is stored with redundancy.  The information we're dealing with here doesn't generally meet that standard.  It's a trade-off with speed, memory usage, performance, and complexity, i.e. more code means more opportunity to introduce errors, and greater effort to find and fix errors when they occur.  Given how the users — meaning us — already complain about the 'dead' period at the end of and beginning of each weekly ToF cycle, imagine how much worse it would be if the data went through even more manipulation, storage and retrieval.)

Why am I sharing this?  To help manage people's expectations.  If we get vanilla rewards instead of what was earned it won't be a sudden shock.  If the software designers took the time and effort to build in the data fail-safes and we get our rewards plus a small token for inconvenience then we'll all be pleasantly surprised and grateful. YMMV.

47 minutes ago, ZackMacKenzie said:

Given how the users — meaning us — already complain about the 'dead' period at the end of and beginning of each weekly ToF cycle, imagine how much worse it would be if the data went through even more manipulation, storage and retrieval.)

The big problem there is that the down time is not made clear. The people who are complaining about it complain because they didn't plan for it because they didn't know about it, or because they spend kobans that get wasted. I doubt anyone would complain if there was a full hour of down time, as long as the timer said "League ends at 4am" or whenever for your timezone instead of "League ends at 5am." As it stands they say League end at 5am, when it really ends at 4:55am.

48 minutes ago, ZackMacKenzie said:

As such, I believe we'll be getting  across-the-board apologetic compensation rather than the rewards we were expecting.  If I'm right, the people who busted their hump to achieve something special will get the same compensation as a person who did nothing for 2 weeks.  It sucks, but that's the just how things go with errors of this type.

Yeah, as it will take two weeks to "fix" the initial problem, they very clearly don't have the information and are fixing this manually. However, the only worthwhile awards are for the top 10 rankings, so it is enough if they have some sort of a Sunday screenshot to manually assign TOP 10 awards in each category - the rest of the field can get the 11-100th ranking awards, whether they deserve it or not. And perhaps give a few hundred kobans as compensation to drown out any complaints.

At least I hope that they were smart enough to make the screenshots in the second week at least.