"Fixing" the D3 league

jamanga

It seems pretty common knowledge that the D3 league in particular is unbalanced - the very high level players win *every* time. But it doesn't have to stay this way. 

When the league resets, why aren't the new D3 groups broken up according to player level? e.g. say there are 1000 people qualifying for D3 upon refresh = 10 groups.

The first group has the top 100 levelled players.

The 2nd group has the next 100 top levelled players etc

.. down to the last group who has the *lowest* levelled 100 players, and now everyone can compete against their peers of at least a similar level, and thus it becomes more a game using player skills and abilities. And not just being horribly over or under-matched.

Edited by jamanga
exchanged "whales" with "very high level players" (my bad)
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jamanga said:

the whales win *every* time. But this does not have to be the case. 

This isn't the case. I see plenty of d3 brackets won by non-whales. In fact, very few of them are won by the most known whales.

If you want pvp with semi-level grouping, seasons exists. Players don't deserve to lose access to a chance at the top rewards because they're high enough level to fall into the lower part of a grouping, that's why the brackets are random. D3 has problems with balance, but this causes way more than it solves, mostly because it solves none of the real ones.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GeorgeMTO said:

This isn't the case. I see plenty of d3 brackets won by non-whales. In fact, very few of them are won by the most known whales.

If you want pvp with semi-level grouping, seasons exists. Players don't deserve to lose access to a chance at the top rewards because they're high enough level to fall into the lower part of a grouping, that's why the brackets are random. D3 has problems with balance, but this causes way more than it solves, mostly because it solves none of the real ones.

Thanks for the feedback George, I appreciate it. To be clear, I'm not suggesting players "lose a chance at rewards" just that all players (including the more powerful ones) should fight on a more level playing field i.e. against compatriots rather than weaklings and vice versa.

re: PVP. Leagues allows for more choice and tactics and provides - by far - the most significant koban rewards in the game (which leads to greater choice). Seasons is a massive 2nd class citizen in this regard - it's battles are short-term and provide minimum kobans (even less this month that last I noticed), and by step 51 is near useless in terms of rewards.

I appreciate that you are a high level player and have much more experience than me, so can I ask how many times you have won D3, and roughly how many times you have seen say ¬440 level player win in a D3 grouping where you participated? I just ask this because level 440 is maybe a year away for me, so I'm interested.

1 hour ago, jamanga said:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting players "lose a chance at rewards" just that all players (including the more powerful ones) should fight on a more level playing field i.e. against compatriots rather than weaklings and vice versa.

You may not think you're suggesting it, but that is the practical implementation of your suggestion.

1 hour ago, jamanga said:

I appreciate that you are a high level player and have much more experience than me, so can I ask how many times you have won D3, and roughly how many times you have seen say ¬440 level player win in a D3 grouping where you participated? I just ask this because level 440 is maybe a year away for me, so I'm interested.

I just achieved win #63. Not seen any 440s win since shal got past that level range (he's currently 471, so a while ago).

• Thanks 1

there is a big topic about the pvp system somewhere, you should have a look at it (it was created by @DvDivXXX)

with bdsm they are currently trying to implement a new system with more strategic choices - not sure, when they are finished with it, but so far they only have implemented two pieces of the puzzle - what's next is a surprise, even though we have already gotten some hints in the latest Q&As

level 440 is too low to ask for a d3 win, 50-60 levels to the top player in a league is too big of a difference, you can get a feeling on what level you could win a d3 looking on the "how are you doing in league"-thread. IIRC, there were players with under 460 recently who won a d3

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jamanga said:

It seems pretty common knowledge that the D3 league in particular is unbalanced

Yup.

10 hours ago, jamanga said:

the whales win *every* time.

NOPE. You either don't know what "whales" mean in this context, or you have no idea how PvP works or why it's broken, let alone how it could or should be fixed. In any case, as George already made clear, it is definitely not by using your misguided suggestion.

4 hours ago, blaa said:

there is a big topic about the pvp system somewhere, you should have a look at it (it was created by @DvDivXXX)

Already well over a year old. They've (quite recently) changed the battle mechanics, but they have yet to change anything about the actual design flaws and gross imbalance of the Leagues as of this writing... Or PvP issues in general, for that matter.

For reference: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DvDivXXX said:

NOPE. You either don't know what "whales" mean

Damn that's annoying - you;re right I assumed it meant "big and powerful" - what I should have said was "very high level" players. Sorry for my ignorance, I'll edit my initial post too. The suggestion to more evenly distribute the players by level upon D3 reset still stands though.

Thanks for the link to your post and your level of detail - I see 2/ B) BASE each group/division/league ON PLAYER LEVEL. potential solution is similar. I'm suggesting it just for D3. And I should mention that this proposal is *extremely* simple to implement - upon reset sort all players by level then distribute... maybe move players around up/down 15% for slightly more random distribution - we're talking minutes worth of coding.

5 hours ago, GeorgeMTO said:

I just achieved win #63

Well done George! "That's a lotta kobans!". Thanks for replying.

I will give D3 a go again sometime soon, when I spot a good opportunity at D2, hopefully I don't get as smashed as I did several months ago (no matter how hard I played). 

Edited by jamanga
  • Like 1

Common knowledge that you should have searched in a minute in google.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whale

"A person who spend incredible amount of money in gacha type games which makes him/her ultra powerful and godlike."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GeorgeMTO said:

You may not think you're suggesting it, but that is the practical implementation of your suggestion.

I just achieved win #63. Not seen any 440s win since shal got past that level range (he's currently 471, so a while ago).

I´ve won one 2 weeks ago 👉🏻👈🏻...   but I was lv 450 so not really 440s but not to much away either :P

14 hours ago, jamanga said:

It seems pretty common knowledge that the D3 league in particular is unbalanced - the very high level players win *every* time. But it doesn't have to stay this way.

It´s not just D3 that´s "unbalanced" the entire pvp/ league system is... there are a lot of proposals that have been made by community members like @DvDivXXX f.e. but atm there´s no big change (regarding the rewards at least) coming. Though KK´s has expressed their desire to re-work the pvp system (and probably the rewards? as well ..someday maybe) the B.D.S.M sytem and blessings f.e. or the upcoming "perks" somewhere in the near future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, holymolly said:

I´ve won one 2 weeks ago 👉🏻👈🏻...   but I was lv 450 so not really 440s but not to much away either :P

Thanks - good to know. I'll be there in a year or so... hopefully they don't keep increasing the max level....

9 hours ago, GeorgeMTO said:
11 hours ago, jamanga said:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting players "lose a chance at rewards" just that all players (including the more powerful ones) should fight on a more level playing field i.e. against compatriots rather than weaklings and vice versa.

Where's your community spirit? :)The rewards will be the same just shared amongst all the D3 players, not only the high level ones, who you seem to be talking about. Similarly the matches will be more competitive for all players, and reward tactical play. This is the point I am trying to make.

Edited by jamanga

8 hours ago, jamanga said:

Where's your community spirit? :)The rewards will be the same just shared amongst all the D3 players, not only the high level ones, who you seem to be talking about. Similarly the matches will be more competitive for all players, and reward tactical play. This is the point I am trying to make.

Take a look at this: 

18 hours ago, Kenrae said:

Take a look at this: 

Now that's next level community spirit!!! :)

I get what you are looking to address, i.e. the massive disparity between rewards in each round, particularly first place vs any other. I understand why the players with a *chance* of winning this don't have a problem the current setup. It's the other players with zero chance (like me) who I assume make up the bulk of this 400 club - I am asking for consideration of these players.

Edited by jamanga
added extra comment