unboosted Arena Combat

Pelinor

Arena gives you opponents of comparable level and all-time mojo. Average all-time mojo creeps up all the time so if you let your mojo stagnate you'll eventually fall behind your current adversaries. But it won't happen overnight. If you start to deliberately lose matches and gain negative mojo, you'll propagate down a lot faster. But that should happen naturally since your current rivals must be quite stronger against the unboosted you.

24 minutes ago, jelom said:

You are paired in the arena with players within +/- 1000 mojo and +/- 15 levels compared with your mojo and level. If there are no players within those limits then you are paired with bots, with lower statistics than real players.

So not as bad as it first sounded. Perhaps after a week of missing out on the dailies, I'll be able to enjoy the arena fights again. That's a fair-sized hit, but the koban savings might make up for it.

25 minutes ago, Pelinor said:

So not as bad as it first sounded. Perhaps after a week of missing out on the dailies, I'll be able to enjoy the arena fights again. That's a fair-sized hit, but the koban savings might make up for it.

or, you know, try to get your 16 a day, and then lose the rest of the fights.

8 hours ago, Chthugha said:

or, you know, try to get your 16 a day, and then lose the rest of the fights.

So far, I have ten wins out of the sixteen needed. Getting to 16 wins in the arena without boosting looks to be reasonably low odds today.

Edited by Pelinor
keeping track of today's wins

1 hour ago, Pelinor said:

So far, I have three wins out of the sixteen needed. Getting to 16 wins in the arena without boosting looks to be low odds today.

If you keep fighting you'll lower your mojo faster, and you'll have easier fights in the end. So, it's in your best interest to fight as much as you can, whether to get 16 fight or to be in a better position to win the next fights.

Edited by Kenrae

28 minutes ago, Kenrae said:

If you keep fighting you'll lower your mojo faster, and you'll have easier fights in the end. So, it's in your best interest to fight as much as you can, whether to get 16 fight or to be in a better position to win the next fights.

In what way is it in my interest to give up the Mojo that gets me 42 kobans a week (weekly reward for being in the top 1000 players for the week)? It's not like I get anything beyond 16 wins like it used to be.

Edited by Pelinor
corrected the koban reward total

2 minutes ago, Pelinor said:

In what way is it in my interest to give up the Mojo that gets me 43 kobans a week (weekly reward for being in the top 1000 players for the week)?

If you lose enough mojo by fighting and losing you might not need boosters to win your 16 wins a day, saving more than 43 kobans by not using boosters and giving you all 3 rewards from the arena daily. Also, if it's easier to win fights you can also farm arena fights to get XP and Affection for some of your girls in your battle team.

hace 30 minutos, Slynia dijo:

If you lose enough mojo by fighting and losing you might not need boosters to win your 16 wins a day, saving more than 43 kobans by not using boosters and giving you all 3 rewards from the arena daily. Also, if it's easier to win fights you can also farm arena fights to get XP and Affection for some of your girls in your battle team.

It is what it should be but, .... it's a little lie 

One day you will reach a level that playing all day (no matter how much mojo you go down) you will not be able to do the 16 battles (because other players used booster)

1 minute ago, Jan Red Dragon said:

It is what it should be but, .... it's a little lie 

One day you will reach a level that playing all day (no matter how much mojo you go down) you will not be able to do the 16 battles (because other players used booster)

I would gamble and fight all my fights available and hopefully, drop out of the "mojo group" of the undefeatable players, rather than not fight at all? At least this way, you are trying to get yourself in a better spot. But hey, that's just me.

hace 6 minutos, Slynia dijo:

I would gamble and fight all my fights available and hopefully, drop out of the "mojo group" of the undefeatable players, rather than not fight at all? At least this way, you are trying to get yourself in a better spot. But hey, that's just me.

I REPEAT: there will come a time / a day that even being connected all day and going down mojo you will not be able to do the 16 battles without booster (maybe it is because yesterday you made many fights and you won a lot of mojo or maybe your 8 enemies are all 8 with booster). 

And I repeat: that day if you want to do the 16 battles you have to use a booster .
The easiest thing would be that the game always put a robot-battle which was easy (so you would always win a battle and you would be forced to spend 8 hours because there are 16 battles) .

But I don't know if that compensates for the game creators

9 minutes ago, Jan Red Dragon said:

I REPEAT: there will come a time / a day that even being connected all day and going down mojo you will not be able to do the 16 battles without booster (maybe it is because yesterday you made many fights and you won a lot of mojo or maybe your 8 enemies are all 8 with booster).

You're in a mojo bubble consisting of only 12 players, your situation has nothing to do with Pelinor's.

• Like 2

I decided to try this "unboosted" route in an effort to stop using 360 kobans a day just to play the game with a decent shot at winning. I noticed that each day there were a couple of combats that were easy in the boosted state. Today I have found five that were not easy but were winnable while unboosted. None of the winnable combats were easy enough for me to use them as an XP or Affection farm. I wonder if that will change over time.

1 minute ago, Pelinor said:

None of the winnable combats were easy enough for me to use them as an XP or Affection farm. I wonder if that will change over time.

Just a suggestion, but if you're just winning, you could try and only switch out your Omega girl (your 3rd battle girl), so that at least 1 girl will always receive XP and Affection. 
I don't know how long your fights usually last as we are quite far apart in level, but the 3rd girl rarely gets summoned in battles (when she gets summoned it's most commonly just during the last 1-2 hits) so this shouldn't make much of a difference. Don't be afraid to try, mojo is a useless thing to farm for anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pelinor said:

In what way is it in my interest to give up the Mojo that gets me 42 kobans a week (weekly reward for being in the top 1000 players for the week)? It's not like I get anything beyond 16 wins like it used to be.

Uh, how does mojo give you kobans?

image.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Orion Lady said:

And besides being boosted in the first place should not even effect  what opponents you get in arena, as it has been posted already you get your matches within your lvl and mojo, not based on your stats.

It does. I have all stats maxed, over 90% of my girls maxed, and over half of my equipment is current. So if the opponents presented were only level and mojo, I should be seeing opponents with egos 20-40k less in ego with similar attack and defense stats. What I see are opponents that match my player when boosted with legendary items. Their player level is close to mine, but the stats are those of a boosted player.

Edited by Pelinor

10 hours ago, Pelinor said:

It does. I have all stats maxed, over 90% of my girls maxed, and over half of my equipment is current. So if the opponents presented were only level and mojo, I should be seeing opponents with egos 20-40k less in ego with similar attack and defense stats. What I see are opponents that match my player when boosted with legendary items. Their player level is close to mine, but the stats are those of a boosted player.

I don't think you quite understand how it works. There are thousands of potential opponents in the relevant ±15 levels range. Some of these will generally be weaker and some will be stronger players. Stronger players have won more arena battles in the past (both in absolute terms and in terms of their win/loss rate) and have a higher mojo score because of that; you're one of these. Because the mojo range for selecting opponents is relatively small at only ±1000 points, such stronger players will eventually come to face only each other. Weaker players still exist, they're just out of your range.

The system doesn't actively try to match you only with equally strong opponents, and so it also won't magically give you weaker opponents just because you've ceased boosting. Your past decisions have made it so that the opponents you're currently seeing are the only ones available based on level and mojo range.

2 hours ago, _shal_ said:

The system doesn't actively try to match you only with equally strong opponents, and so it also won't magically give you weaker opponents just because you've ceased boosting. Your past decisions have made it so that the opponents you're currently seeing are the only ones available based on level and mojo range.

Yesterday, I spent almost all of my free time trying out this unboosted concept. My first combat was at 05:30, and my last action in the game was at 01:30 this morning before I went to bed. During the specified time period I found ten opponents which I could beat (so no Orb prize for the day). As you mention, by playing boosted for months on end my character is in an artificially high range of opponents. Most everyone agrees with the situation and offers the same game fix (lose Mojo). I think I want to try a different approach where I keep the Mojo I have and advance the character level under the unboosted status. I'll give up some prizes, but since my Mojo gains will be less I think other active players will pass my current levels and I should see more players I can beat in the arena. Not as fast as deliberately losing Mojo but it should still happen. Right?

• Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Pelinor said:

Yesterday, I spent almost all of my free time trying out this unboosted concept. My first combat was at 05:30, and my last action in the game was at 01:30 this morning before I went to bed. During the specified time period I found ten opponents which I could beat (so no Orb prize for the day). As you mention, by playing boosted for months on end my character is in an artificially high range of opponents. Most everyone agrees with the situation and offers the same game fix (lose Mojo). I think I want to try a different approach where I keep the Mojo I have and advance the character level under the unboosted status. I'll give up some prizes, but since my Mojo gains will be less I think other active players will pass my current levels and I should see more players I can beat in the arena. Not as fast as deliberately losing Mojo but it should still happen. Right?

It will eventually happen, and advancing your character level is something you want to do anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pelinor said:

Should work, yes, just be aware that it could take quite a while. I don't know how fast people in your mojo zone are generally moving up as a group, in mine it's about 1000 points per week. By taking your available wins up to 16 per day and no losses, I wouldn't be surprised if you're still going to gain about 500 points and only lose 500 relative to the "field", so you might need as many as four weeks just to exchange your current set of opponents for weaker ones (losing 4x500 = 2000 points, the full spread of the range from which opponents are taken). And there's no guarantee that these new opponents will already be weak enough for you to get comfortable and that you won't need to drop even further.

• Thanks 1

I fight unboosted, and have no trouble getting 16 wins, as long as time to play isn't a huge issue. You just need to get to a point where you can do it reasonably easily. I've never done that big mojo drop, because I've never gone in for being boosted all the time.

I might boost to make sure I get into the top 30 in my league,  which is D2. However, I don't spend Kobans on boosters. I may decide to try to get back into D3 again, and see if I can hang there, but my one and only week there was a brutal experience, and that was long ago.

Looking at where you are in all-time Mojo, you are pretty high for your level, so as others have said, you'll need to slow that gain and/or start losing Mojo to get to a point where you can work without spending tons of Kobans to boost.

If you are finding that you need a little bit of boost to get the 16 wins, use the low end boosters when it looks like you need it to get the orb. If you do it later in the day when you know you need it, you will have some for the next day to help insure you get that orb, and then can go back to being unboosted. I have rarely needed to do that, but it works for me.

Edited by Zteev
  • Like 1