Servers overloaded?

red101

Pages gamewide are taking much longer to load than they should, if they complete loading properly at all.  This encourages players to make repeat reloads, which I expect makes the problem worse.

• Hug 3

3 hours ago, red101 said:

Pages gamewide are taking much longer to load than they should, if they complete loading properly at all.  This encourages players to make repeat reloads, which I expect makes the problem worse.

While this happens at various times when the server is particularly busy, it's not a bug. It's just a matter of bandwidth. And yes, just like traffic jams, there's a negative loop going on where the server is too busy because too many players are sending too many requests at the same time, which in turns pushes individual players to reload the game over and over, which in turn makes the server even busier, and so on. The best thing to do in that situation is to close the game and come back an hour later if you can.

Please mind the sticky and don't post in Bug Reporting unless you have a convincing case to report a genuine game bug (that's not already a known issue). Thanks. (I'll move this thread to QA for you this time).

Good to know that it is not only me. Since 1-2 weeks I also have the impression that performance significantly worsened. It is not understandable how this can be, i.e. how KK can be so stingy on server (cloud) hardware, while one of the major criticism on gaming platforms/reviews is performance already.

Hardware to run a game like this with the amount of players we know from LR format is pretty cheap. I personally manage a VPS which runs a website, dedicated forum, blog, documentation and software downloads of 100 - 650 MiB size + an APT repository. We have a larger number of overall and daily visitors from what I can say, and a larger number of (software) users as well. The forum software is the, compared to here, much more resource intense Discourse, the blog is the same: Wordpress. All this runs on a VPS for 18 €/month. We get some discount, AFAIK normally it would be 25 €/month. However, it is located in Germany, one of the most expensive countries to host server hardware. And: Our server has plenty of unused resources and, I just checked back, we use less than 25% of the included free traffic (~12/50 TB) per month. Additionally ~75% of this bandwidth is reduced by Cloudflare cache, hence we could theoretically use about 16 times more traffic and would still not need to pay on top.

So, now we know this game is programmed extremely inefficient, and I guess KK has no good server admin to minimise database load, PHP processing etc, but still, I cannot imagine that one needs to pay more than 100 € to host everything without any such performance issues, when setting things up properly, at least. If one uses own hardware, of course it means a higher invest, but this is something a game studio should be able to do, when it is about addressing one of the major issues with the game which even worsens itself (players tend to reload and revisit the same pages over and over).

Would be interesting to get some insights about where exactly the performance issues come from. I could imagine that it is a single bottleneck that is pretty easy and cheap to resolve, when someone with experience looked into it.

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Horsting said:

Would be interesting to get some insights about where exactly the performance issues come from. I could imagine that it is a single bottleneck that is pretty easy and cheap to resolve, when someone with experience looked into it.

Well when its was really slow yesterday I was noticing some of the js scripts where taking 40 seconds to pull. and some of the scripts come from ajax.googleapis.com so it may not have even been on the KK side.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Yamiray said:

and some of the scripts come from ajax.googleapis.com so it may not have even been on the KK side.

Only jQuery comes from Google, and this is cached in the browser for like forever, even when visiting other websites (which use the same source). So it is definitely on KK side. Also, you can be sure that Google has a good CDN/network to deliver its scripts, to avoid any noticeable delay. Sometimes a little delay is added by the Matomo tracker hosted on StatisGeek, but this is not the case for the recent performance issue I faced.

Edited by Horsting
  • Thinking 1

Nice to hear I'm not the only one with problems, particulary collecting income from girls makes my whole pc nearly freeze.

But I still think there is something on my side as well, cause youtube is also having trouble, the videos always start with very low quality.
Did restart the PC, deleted the cache in firefox, reconnected the dsl and even restarted the router.

Speedtest shows full capacity, but still for two or three days now the connection is rather weak.

------

And this is the second time, collecting money was answered with 500 Internal Server Error.

Edited by Der DinX
  • Hug 1

il y a 38 minutes, Der DinX a dit :

youtube is also having trouble

Google is crapping the user experience for people not using chrome. They put a 5s wait on loading the video on youtube too. And when you change the user-agent string to a chrome one, it's fast again.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Surprised :O 1

Are you serious about this? I use Opera and have no issues on YouTube. Also just tested with Edge, without being logged into Google account there, also no issues. Both browsers do not identify themselves as Chrome in user agent 🤔. I am no big fans of Google for other reasons, but I definitely do not expect them to do such a dick move.

They have, it's well documented (you can watch a lot of videos pointing it out and complaining about it on YT itself, ironically ^^). It's just that as usual adblockers and other plugins or even built-in features for some browsers like Opera or Brave caught up to their shenanigans in a matter of days. (I'm obviously nowhere near understanding the intricacies of what's under the hood as you do, Horsting! That's just my layman way of describing it ^^).

I think Brave actually is Chromium based, so if there's something that lags on other browser types besides YT, I might not have noticed it, while others clearly are experiencing a lot more lag than I am, judging by this thread.

Seems more to me to be a problem with adblockers.
Until recently Youtube blocked all videos to me because of those, and I had to watch them by using the share link.
So music mix playlist didn't work, because everyone has to be started manualy.
After a crash and reboot of the PC, playlists work again, but now every video freezes at the start several times, like old times with a slow connection.

But I'm sure it is something with the browser, something blocking the traffic, haven't yet found out what.

• Hug 1

il y a 5 minutes, Der DinX a dit :

But I'm sure it is something with the browser, something blocking the traffic, haven't yet found out what.

I know that using multiple adblockers on youtube is now a really bad idea.

If using ublock origin, disable the native firefox adblocker and any other adblocker or similar plugin on youtube.

They interact badly with each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thX for the tip, and yes I'm testing disabling those.
AdblockPlus and uBlock Origin where both activ, don't know if firefox has built in stuff as well, haven't heard of that so far, except for popups.

Just using uBlock seems to work so far.

Interesting. First two finds on Google DuckDuckGo:

Are those two somehow the same websites? They look so similar ... indeed, both "© Future US, Inc", lol, whatever ...

Opera and Edge are both Chromium-based as well, like Brave, and probably 90% of the wider used browser. However, both articles state that this delay was true on Edge as well. Opera has some "browser.js" to inject a small number of per-website tweaks, but there is none for YouTube. I need to disable the internal adblock in Opera on YouTube by times indeed, which is like a cat and mice game, YouTube adjusting their anti-adblock measures, until block lists update accordingly to work again. However, this 5 seconds seem to (have been) not related to ads but indeed an artificial delay. Sometimes I have the impression that the world's largest most influential companies are in the hand of children ... well, for some we do know, (Space)X ...

• Like 1

Yeah, for YT these days I'd say the most reliable thing for me has been Ublock Origin in all three browsers I use (Brave, FF, and Opera). On Opera in particular, it goes well beyond YT: there are plenty of sites that Opera's built-in protection can't do anything about (especially streaming or video replay sites, like some TV channels' websites) but Ublock handles perfectly. My FireFox fares better but I still use Ublock on it too. Brave hasn't needed it so far.

Don't know what just happend, but for as of right now, the speed is back to KK.

No Problems in collecting income of the Girls.

As if there was a switch turned at 0:00

Edited by Der DinX

21 minutes ago, DvDivXXX said:

there are plenty of sites that Opera's built-in protection can't do anything about (especially streaming or video replay sites, like some TV channels' websites) but Ublock handles perfectly

You can add/enable the very same block lists in Opera's builtin ad blocker that uBlock Origin uses. All block lists are externally managed, it is just the default ones enabled which differs between ad blockers, and Opera's builtin one simply has a natural performance advantage as it is not an extension but native browser feature. This also means that advertising, respectively anti-adblock on YouTube works or works not in all ad blockers the same way, given that the block lists are up-to-date (updated automatically). However, nothing against uBlock Origin, which is also my one any only preferred ad blocker in all browsers which do not have this builtin.

Edited by Horsting
  • Thanks 1

A bit off-topic, but also take into account that you can use your own filter in some adblockers, especially uBlock Origin, very useful when playing Hentaiheroes in mobile if you want to hide some images or some buttons you don't want to push inadvertently, and that also reduce bandwidth and speed loading of the game

• Like 3

Ah right, same for league here (town works fine): There it is not the AJAX response, but the HTML document has a size of 12 MB 🤪, which takes ~13 seconds to download (not limited by my bandwidth but KK server):

image.png.783738a6c7caf14ab00691d36903c7d4.png

image.png.4d9778c7dea6a1917c8dc11359cf4bce.png

Awesome bug, on a crappy hardware which runs at its limits already, adding a 12 MB download to every single league pages load for every player visiting it, combined with all the other bugs which requires you to regularly visit the page to e.g. catch opponents without boosters (due to buggy booster indicators/stats). Fascinating how most patches make things worse instead of better.

EDIT: Not a bug, but an extremely shitty intentional change: The opponents_list object has massively raised (I guess) with data for every single opponent spanning 1,500 to 3,000 lines. This adds up to 180,500 lines long HTML document here, with mentioned 12 MB size. How broken must a development team/lead be to have SUCH a massively false change merged into an already overloaded live server? @430i since I saw you make much use of opponents_list in you script, do you know how this data was delivered before, or was it just much more compact?

EDIT2: Okay, was hanging for several seconds on market visit AJAX response as well now. I guess it is actually the huge leagues.html which brings the server (bandwidth) to its knees, leading to the by times long AJAX responses. We'll see, I just reported it on Discord.

Edited by Horsting

1 hour ago, Horsting said:

@430i since I saw you make much use of opponents_list in you script, do you know how this data was delivered before, or was it just much more compact?

No idea to be honest, but it used to contain even more data - most notably the girl equipment

Are you sure? Why did we then check team stats to derive the season => league gear bug, instead of just checking the data 🤔. It definitely contains a lot of data not required to show the league table. Would make sense to transfer only those bits required and load detailed data on demand, when visiting the pre-battle page, respectively via API, and of course minimising the whole thing. Currently the syntax is fully expanded. Probably the data was previously loaded asynchronously or what? If 12 MiB were always transferred on every league page visit/reload, we found one of the reasons why the server/bandwidth is and was always at its limit. This is insane!

EDIT: Okay, at least the document is gzip encoded, so transferred data is smaller. That makes it even stranger that it takes now 15 seconds to download.
Ah, really it is just about 0.5M gzip-compressed. Okay, then probably nothing changed that end but only the server is overloaded for another reason:

image.png.02652580ca80e2b84c5b6e5ef27343d7.png

Edited by Horsting

1 hour ago, Horsting said:

Are you sure?

Pretty sure, but this was a while ago. Of course, in a typical Kinkoid fashion, the data was buggy and all 7 girls had identical equipment, probably the equipment of the main girl.