Forum icons disappeared

Observer_X

While yesterday I browsed the forum, wrote a post, and when I left it was all normal, today when I opened the forum page many of the icons were disappeared or replaced by "not available" symbols. A couple screenshot to show what I mean:

immagine.thumb.png.d613772ec1b5cee3ef97d5de4f22533e.png

immagine.thumb.png.e878b32d2937cae3f8f6a2cb249b4831.png

Apart that the forum seems to function normally and the problem, albeit annoying, seems to be only estetic, am I the only one with this annoyance?

• Like 2

That's probably so that a Comix Harem section can be introduced smoothly when it gets launched (just my guess). But oh boy, oh boy, did I struggle for the past 24 hours between the arbitrary ban of Opera (and any browser not owned by one of the giant corporations out there) and the forum domain change...

I'm able to access the forum for the first time this morning (on FireFox only, still no dice on Opera since the changes, despite having done and redone all of the shenanigans imaginable to make it work)...

And yeah, there are still lots of icons missing (including a pretty important one for us mods that only us mods can see... we can still use it, but by default it looks like a broken button). It's a bit rough. I'm hoping @Noacc can work his magic and make the forum interface great again, as he did back when we had the previous big interface rework and everything was initially broken.

• Thanks 1

For now I find a little comic that the icon (filled circle or filled star) for going to the first unread post has been replaced by the apostrophe/accent character... (or something like it)

I truly hope that something can be done about this, as although the thing seems only estetic, in the long run IMHO it is going to get overly annoying, maybe even to the point to make users ditch the forum. Fingers crossed... 🤞

3 hours ago, Noacc said:

I see the icons now, how about you guys?

Most of them are back from my end (when I'm able to access the forum, only on Firefox and typically after many reloads, since the update), but a few are still missing. I'm getting a slightly different "can't touch this" placeholder than what Ken showed, though:

forum missing icons.png

It's still a LOT better than on day one, though. Most of the key icons are visible again. Thanks a lot for that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Observer_X said:

I'm sorry, @Noacc, my situation is still the same as in the screenshots in my first post. 😓

Have you fully refreshed the forum page (Ctrl+F5)? The rest of us are (mostly) seeing the images, it's weird that you aren't. Maybe you're seeing a cached copy.

18 minutes ago, Kenrae said:

Have you fully refreshed the forum page (Ctrl+F5)? The rest of us are (mostly) seeing the images, it's weird that you aren't. Maybe you're seeing a cached copy.

Tried. No effect.

Tried also the standard "clear browser cache and cookies and restart the browser". No effect also.

• Sad 1

Same here i still see some squares. Also, i don't know if this is related, but since we had this icons thing i'm not able to enter in the forum when i'm in incognito mode (it asks me to log in even if i'm in HH already). i know that there were always recommendations about not using this mode, but for me sucks a bit. If we can fix i would like it, but i get that our dear community manager can't change the universe just because a user wants to use incognito mode XD

Probably if it stays like this my activity will be more limited: which is a bit of a shame, i want to be able to at least thank some people for their "work" :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xemnas said:

incognito mode

The irony here is that, since the "universal login" thingie was introduced many months ago and had the exact opposite result as intended (for a lot of players, at least), ie instead of "making it easier to stay logged-in for all of our games", it forced us to log in very frequently instead of once every blue moon... incognito mode as well as VPNs and other typically not recommended shenanigans were often an effective workaround to access the forum when it refuses to recognize you're already logged-in.

As mentioned above, I'm still struggling more than ever before to access the forum since the latest patch and domain change. I'm absolutely unable to get it to see me logged-in on Opera (disguised as Chrome) and even on FireFox (which I now have to open just for the forum basically, despite the extra strain on my old CPU) I have to try multiple times before it works. Obviously, as a mod and forum regular, this isn't ideal, to say the least. ^^

I hope this can be improved upon soon-ish. But I'm pretty sure that's not something @Noacc can do on his own, as awesome as he is. There must be some pesky setting somewhere server side that creates this conflict. Perhaps the fact that the direct link for "Forum" from the game itself still uses the old URL, so we go through a redirect to the new kinkoid forum every time has something to do with it?

• Like 1

Just to let you guys know, the bug for me is still on.

Does this may have anything to do with the forum changes announced in the last patch notes?

After all, you guys said that for you the problem was fixed, while I am still in the same boat, so maybe there is the possibility that this is account-dependent (maybe also connected to the fact that my in-game name is from a long time different from the forum one? Just blind fire here, but this bug leaves me quite perplexed).

Hope that there is something that can be done. Despite the fact that I am still able to use the forum, as I said the view is quite annoying, and I suppose that it is going to become obnoxious in the long run.

Could it be helpful to open a support ticket at this point?

I think it is much more likely that someone using a severely outdated system should expect not to ever have a decent graphic experience. If clearing your cache hasn't fixed things for you, I would expect it won't ever work now, because there's not enough value involved in optimising the experience for such an old system.

For me too, i see everything well now. The "not logged in the forum in incognito mode" remain. But I'm using the app a bit and i must say it is not bad, apart an error that doesn't make me see the posts if there is a link to another thread. I'll use the app a bit I guess 😂

20 hours ago, GeorgeMTO said:

I think it is much more likely that someone using a severely outdated system should expect not to ever have a decent graphic experience

I was able to test this objection. I was able today to borrow for a few minutes a portable PC much more new than my home system: we are talking about a Lenovo with 16 GB of RAM and a Intel core i5 processor 2.60 GHz, with Windows 10 Pro and all the last system and software updates done, The graphics card is an Intel HD 4600. On this borrowed portatile I tried to open the Hentai Heroes site, and then the forum page, both on Chrome and on Firefox. In both cases the result was the bugged visualization, as in the screenshots in the first post about my old home system. The only small difference is that on Chrome I see empty squares, while on Firefox the squares have numbers and letters inside. So, even admitting that it is part of all this, I consider unlikely that the age of my system is the only reason for the problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Observer_X said:

I was able to test this objection. I was able today to borrow for a few minutes a portable PC much more new than my home system: we are talking about a Lenovo with 16 GB of RAM and a Intel core i5 processor 2.60 GHz, with Windows 10 Pro and all the last system and software updates done, The graphics card is an Intel HD 4600. On this borrowed portatile I tried to open the Hentai Heroes site, and then the forum page, both on Chrome and on Firefox. In both cases the result was the bugged visualization, as in the screenshots in the first post about my old home system. The only small difference is that on Chrome I see empty squares, while on Firefox the squares have numbers and letters inside. So, even admitting that it is part of all this, I consider unlikely that the age of my system is the only reason for the problem.

The empty squares are what we saw on Chrome before the fixes.
Can you try with a different ISP? Maybe using your phone data instead for a moment... it's very weird but it's like there's an old cache somewhere between you and KK :/

Or restart your router if you haven't done already.

Edited by Kenrae

I dunno, guys. By now, I've tested it enough that I know what works and what doesn't since the patch and domain change. To properly access the forum, I need to open it on FireFox, log out of the game, then visit the forum, click on "Existing User? Sign In", then log back in once that redirects me to the game, then open the forum again from the in-game link. And only then can I close the game's tab in FF, and the forum keeps working as long as I leave FF open.

On Chrome/Opera? None of that or anything else works. I can access the game (all of the games, even, including HCL and CXH) but not the forum. At all.

And I've rebooted my router, tried multiple VPNs, user-agent switches, obviously cleared cache and cookies multiple times etc. Nothing works for me (except exactly on FF, and exactly while jumping through the hoops described in the first paragraph, every single time I reopen FF). Once I'm in, I do have every last icon correctly displayed, though.

Meanwhile, I have multiple clubmates who can just casually open the forum directly even in Opera and be properly recognized as logged in. So I know there must be a number of different things at play that affect some of us but not others. It doesn't sound like a stretch to me that @Observer_X 's persisting issue is just as real as mine, even if most other people are no longer affected by either.

• Like 1

I think I have found a "solution" for the icon problem. It's a solution I don't like so much, but at least is a solution... apart the fact that, if you ask me, if this should have been the workaround from the start, this means that IMHO this is probably one of the most stupid bugs I have seen since i first sat in front of a PC monitor over 25 years ago.

Yesterday I had occasion to try @Kenrae suggestion, and used the control panel of my router to restart it. The effect was quite weird: at the moment of the reset I had forgot to close the forum, which was opened exactly on this thread page. The strange effect was that the icons ang graphics switched back to normal in this page, but not in the rest of the forum (don't ask me)! I also noted the changed graphics with "Kinkoid forum" and the red bar with the functions links. Oddly, when I retry the above operation while standing on the forum main page, nothing happened.

Reopening the forum today, quite curiously the situation was the same, but the change of graphics inspired a different try. A thing I had no reason to tell before, because I didn't had the faintest idea it had something to do with this situation, is that when a few months ago the forum changed aspect, I choose the "Default" theme (i. e. the "full blue" one), simply because I liked it more. This is the bottom of the screen of the screenshot in the original post above:

immagine.thumb.png.439c406cf8028181883f8b3e00fb0333.png

As you can see, the Default theme was selected. Remembering the red graphics on the "corrected" page (this one) I tried to change theme, and the following "built" screenshot is the result:

immagine.thumb.png.4e2d72566d99bd812ca95111a172114c.png

Note: ignore the blurry effect, that's consequence of forum resizing. As you can see, changing theme in some way did the trick. I tried to switch back, and the icon problem got back again. Now, I don't deny that I am not an expert of forum structures, but I must admit that I don't get it. This bug IMHO is illogic, to say the least. I am happy that I seem to have found a solution (despite I don't like the fact that I can't use the other theme which I like much more), but after all the hypothesis you guys made above, finding a solution like this made me feel quite stupid, despite there was not some fault of my part.

On a matter of curiosity, may I ask to you guys to make the same try? I would like to know if you have the same problem.

Oh, and, by the way, I was also finally able to upload my personal avatar, and that now resisted logout and login back. Hope you guys like it.

Edited by Observer_X
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Observer_X said:

On a matter of curiosity, may I ask to you guys to make the same try? I would like to know if you have the same problem.

Yes, indeed. It's the theme being broken. @Noacc, you might want to check it :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1