Legendary Contests Discussion and Feedback

Z-Wave

Legendary Contests Discussion and Feedback  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the new Legendary Contests are a good idea at the current state (where girls can't be obtained by everyone)?

• Yes
    • No

Let's discuss the new Legendary Contests: https://www.kinkoid.com/patchnotes/hh_week_25/

Test 

• Legendary Contests

Legendary-contest-768x190-1-600x148.jpg

Some of you may have tried the new Legendary contest on our test server.

For the players who already tested the Legendary Contests, will see some changes done in the second part of testing changes have been done for this second test.

• Legendary Contest is a new type of event that will last for 4 days.
  • All players that are over level 20 and were active in the last 72 hours before the event start, will be distributed into Contest brackets of 50.
  • The event will provide an exclusive 5 star Legendary Girl as a reward (Not available in villains or Pachinko).
  • Every 24 hours, there will be a different contest with specific actions that need to be completed the game
    • Contest 1: PvP & Player XP
    • Contest 2: Pachinko or Donations
    • Contest 3: Villains & Energy
    • Contest 4: Girls
  • Rewards for each contest are:
    • 1st place: 100 shards of the Legendary Girl + 3 Epic x1 Orbs
    • 2nd-4th place: 100 shards of the Legendary Girl 
    • 5th-10th place: 50 shards of the Legendary Girl 
    • 11th-25th place: 25 shards of the Legendary Girl 
    • 26th+ place: Legendary Equipment
  • All players that win the girl before the end of the event, will be separated into different brackets in order to continue enjoying the event and win more rewards
  • The separate bracket rewards are: 
    • 1st place: 1 of Mythic Pachinko x6 Orb + 3 of Epic x1 Orb
    • 2nd-4th place: 1 of Mythic Pachinko x6 Orb 
    • 5th-10th place: 1 of Mythic Pachinko x3 Orb
    • 11th-25th place: 2 of Mythic Pachinko x1 Orb
    • 26th+ place: Legendary Equipment

Tell us your thoughts and feedback. Your opinion is important so we would like to involve our community even more in the testing process.

After your test, we invite you to give us your feedback by filling this questionnaire.

Edited by Z-Wave

I personally think it's not good at all, as long as it's a Zero-Sum-Game where it's literally impossible for everyone to get the girl rewards. So far, girls could be obtained by everyone willing to invest the money or time, but with this new type of contest that's not possible anymore. It's designed that even if everybody spends a ton of Kobans (and real life money), there will always be losers who end up not getting the girl.

Something similar was tried before with the first PoA event on the test server when one of the tasks necessary to get the girls was contest-based and therefore couldn't get achieved by everyone. Fortunately KK patched that out for the event on the live server, and I hope they find a way to do the same here.

Please let them know your opinion via the questionaire (linked at the end of the quote), but since the results aren't public, let's hear it here as well. 👍

4 minutes ago, windia said:

What stops you from discussing it any further in the original thread?

Thanks for mentioning it. Basically 2 reasons:

1. We have a poll here to get a first glance feedback for KK to see.
2. I'm usually not browsing the entire forum and end up in "General" most of my time. Probably many people do the same and therefore aren't aware or don't actively take part in the discussion before it might be too late. But yeah, I'll add my 2 cents there as well. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the impression that getting a girl in this event will be even a little easier and less costly than in the usual epic days. So the answer is yes rather than no.

In order to understand in more detail you need to test the event not even on the test server, but on the main and then you can already make a verdict that the event is "shit or candy".

3 minutes ago, Lemus said:

I got the impression that getting a girl in this event will be even a little easier and less costly than in the usual epic days. So the answer is yes rather than no.

In order to understand in more detail you need to test the event not even on the test server, but on the main and then you can already make a verdict that the event is "shit or candy".

hm, a software developer should not "test" anything on live. That is where "test server" got their name from.

He should only rebalance it.

• Like 2

Just now, Lemus said:

This is not true man. Imagine you go to a restaurant, and they bring out an empty plate, and the server comes out, takes down his pants, stands over your plate and starts grunting. At that point, you're like "wtf man I didn't order SHIT!". And he asks you "Well how do you know it's shit, it's not even out yet!?"
We don't have to experience and taste the event to be able to say it's shit. Even if I get the girl with no problems on this event, and it goes on as planned, I'll say it's shit, because the idea from the get go is shit. 

• Haha 8
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Lemus said:

I doubt that it's likely, given how much people are willing to spend in order to win 300 Kobans in regular contests... However, the problem for me is not that it's a new approach with potentially either higher or lower costs. The main problem is that it's a new core mechanic that doesn't allow over half of the playerbase to obtain the girl. Before you were only limited by the amount of time or money you wanted to spend, but now you're actively prevented to get the girl if there are people willing to outperform your spendings no matter what. Even if you paid 1.000€, there would be a chance of you not getting the girl if you are matched with 10 people willing to spend 1.005€. It's oversimplified, I know, but you get my point. It's a zero-sum game based around the idea that for you to win, somebody else has to lose! Before everyone could just spend not more than 40€ and get a guaranteed girl, and all girls were abundantly available for everyone...

• Like 4

I really hate this idea.  Due to the reset time switch, I now live in a timezone where the reset happens at an ungodly hour of the morning while I am asleep.  I can NEVER EVER win a contest anymore or even place a high rank because those who are up around the time of the switch are are able to to do the extra things to take the lead.  If this event goes forward as is, an entire player-base will never ever see the girls.  I already hate that there is 0% chance I can get the good "normal" rewards - this is only adding insult to injury.

And also as mentioned above, if people devote a lot of time and in-game resources, and even real money, into this event - you are still not guaranteed a girl.  Someone who is awake during the reset and can devote more resources than you will knock you out of the running.

This contest concept is a HORRIBLE idea.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have a pile of accounts, most of which get to 15 girls, dump their kobans into my solo club, and are never logged into again. If a firm date is established on when the contests go live, I'll commit to logging into each of them the day before. That way at least a few of the accounts not getting the girl won't care about it.

If anyone wants to join in, you can get a new account to level 20 in under 30 minutes if you spend the 600 starter kobans on energy refills. You'll need to do 3 daily missions (2 yellow and 1 green), most of the time will be spent waiting on those.

I hope some of you will find yourself against an Urist with a number after it, those accounts won't be trying too hard, if at all. But if you're up against an Urist without a number, bring your A game because I'll be playing to win.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Z-Wave said:

I doubt that it's likely, given how much people are willing to spend in order to win 300 Kobans in regular contests... However, the problem for me is not that it's a new approach with potentially either higher or lower costs. The main problem is that it's a new core mechanic that doesn't allow over half of the playerbase to obtain the girl. Before you were only limited by the amount of time or money you wanted to spend, but now you're actively prevented to get the girl if there are people willing to outperform your spendings no matter what. Even if you paid 1.000€, there would be a chance of you not getting the girl if you are matched with 10 people willing to spend 1.005€. It's oversimplified, I know, but you get my point. It's a zero-sum game based around the idea that for you to win, somebody else has to lose! Before everyone could just spend not more than 40€ and get a guaranteed girl, and all girls were abundantly available for everyone...

Over a four day event and assuming that a static placement in the contests (i.e. players finishes in the same positions all 4 days relative to one another), 29 players out of the 50 in a given bracket should get the girl.  Closer to 60% than less than half. 

Day One: 1-4 will reach 100 shards

Day Two: 5-10 will reach 100 shards

Day Three: 11-20 will reach 100 shards

Day Four: 21-29 will reach 100 shards

If their was a perfect distribution with no players getting more than 100 shards and all players getting either 100 or 0 shards, 40 players out of the 50 will get the girl. There are 4000 total shards over the event being divvied up between 50 players.

The fact that they are removing the players who have already won the girl from the bracket means that you don't have to compete against those big spenders in subsequent days.

Comparing this legendary contest event against their counterpart legendary days (as the reward is a legendary days in four days):

- In legendary days not all players get the legendary girl, mainly because of the koban requirement (3K-5K). But with a bit of koban saving beforehand it is possible for everyone.

- In legendary contest, more than 50% (and perhaps even more than 60%) won't get the girl no matter what.And it all depends on luck, if you are with many whales or F2P resource savers determined to give it all, you will have a hard time getting the girl, at least until the last day when most of them are out of the play. 

Edit: patch notes: 11th-25th place: 25 shards of the Legendary Girl  This makes the event difficulty changed from hard to almost easy. 

- A positive note: You have always the consolation that the legendary girl will appear again later (all girls will reappear sooner or later).

Edited by jelom
  • Like 6

I am not going to rage quite but this event format makes me sad. My past post history shows I try to look on the positive side of of KK's changes and I always voice my approval of the many, many positive changes KK has made in the almost 3 yrs I have been playing.

But this format sucks.

As @Z-Wave points out it is zero sum. There are a bunch of players who immediately start whining about how any change makes the game pay2win. They are just about always wrong. In this case they may be right. I generally place in the top 50% of contests anyway but this is going to hurt casual players.

As @Mr.Goodfellow points out the reset time sucks for North American players. For years I (NA player) benefited from the old reset time and I felt it was unfair (in my favour). I went from placing every second day to never placing with the new reset. Net loss of about 60 kobans a day. But I did not whine. Time for the Euro players to get a bit of a bonus. But losing 100/50/25 shards to a sniper while I am asleep is a LOT worse than losing 120 kobans.

If you are care enough to post here I suggest you also respond the KK's survey linked in the patch notes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

At first glance, this contest bears a substantial similarity to one of the ideas presented by @Bomba as an alternative to the PoA event. There doesn't appear to be a "paywall" as presented yet I have an uneasy feeling about the "winners track" (for want of a better term).

@shua you're right, my numbers were outdated and with the introduction of the 25 Shards it makes this situation much easier to digest. Still, the core mechanic provides a lot of problems and potential harm for the future! I outlined it in another post so I just quote myself here:

It's a problem caused by the shift from a model of abundance (every girl is obtainable to everybody) to a zero-sum game (it's technical impossible for everyone to get a specific girl, even if we'd all spend millions of Dollars/Euros). Many F2P games with such zero-sum systems I know tend to patch in unfair advantages for those getting the newest stuff, and I really don't want this to happen to HH...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jelom said:

Comparing this legendary contest event against their counterpart legendary days (as the reward is a legendary days in four days):

- In legendary days not all players get the legendary girl, mainly because of the koban requirement (3K-5K). But with a bit of koban saving beforehand it is possible for everyone.

- In legendary contest, more than 50% (and perhaps even more than 60%) won't get the girl no matter what.And it all depends on luck, if you are with many whales or F2P resource savers determined to give it all, you will have a hard time getting the girl, at least until the last day when most of them are out of the play. 

Edit: patch notes: 11th-25th place: 25 shards of the Legendary Girl  This makes the event difficulty changed from hard to almost easy. 

- A positive note: You have always the consolation that the legendary girl will appear again later (all girls will reappear sooner or later).

Not necessarily easy.  Due to new reset timing now, some contests I have a very difficult time placing in the top 25.  So if we miss 1 contest - we don't get the girl.  While others who are in a better timezone, get the girl and a ton of other awesome goodies.  

There is no "Positive Spin" that can be put on how unequal this contest event is or how unequal contests are in general.  Upping the rewards for a contest to make an event like this only makes it that much worse for those players who generally struggle in contests due to the inherent game mechanics.  Normally, I just slough off constantly losing out in contests because the rewards are "okay" and not really "awesome."  Now the stakes are higher with legendary girls and orbs and that makes it much much much more disappointing knowing that a large group of players do not have an equal chance at winning them as everyone else.  There needs to be better balance brought to Contests for ALL players instead of Devs rewarding a certain group of players and alienating another.

Again - HORRIBLE idea for an event.

Edited by Mr.Goodfellow
  • Like 2

The x25 award for more ranks is an improvement over the version on the test server, but there is also a prerequisite for entry of being active in the 72h leading up to the contest so I assume it will be slightly more competitive than the usual contests. 

In general I think trying to make us outspend each other to try and win an exclusive girl is a poorly conceived idea.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ben9 said:

In general I think trying to make us outspend each other to try and win an exclusive girl is a poorly conceived idea.

Very well said. In a game that usually is about everybody winning and sometimes even cooperation (hence clubs), this is a very poor addition...

Edited by Z-Wave
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, _shal_ said:

How many girls have you directly cost other players by winning D3 34 times instead of letting somebody else win?

You make a good point 😂

Yet I'm sure you understand me as well. The difference is the people not winning D3 could also decide to buy the Kobans or Orbs required (e.g. at the moment there's a bundle for 15€). In the legendary contest, that's not possible and I will take the girl from a limited pool, effectively robbing somebody else from the opportunity...

Edited by Z-Wave

I will contradict the zero sum game idea with two arguments:

1- This game is not about everybody always winning all girls. In all events, and especially in legendary days there is an important group of players who don't get the girls (or all of them). Players who know the game mechanics and commit his resources will always win more girls and resources than the rest (leaving apart the players who wins their rewards with real money).

2- When the event start, no one has the girl, so how can one "lose" her?. At start there are 0 people with the girl and at the end there are 60% or more players with her. I see an increase in the total of girls owned. In a zero sum game, the total number of girls at the end would be the same as the start, with some players starting without the girl and getting the girl from other players who previously owned her and finished the event without her.

P.S.: I laughed with  @_shal_'s sharp argument about league winners, but I also have to say that in a competition one don't lose on purpose to leave other player wins. This game also has a competitive side.

• Thanks 1

In previous Legendary Days I obtained shards in the range of 35-45 anyway. 

So now if I get like 50 shards it is the same.

This seems highly likely. Even though the current 13.00 reset time (live in Europe) is often impossible due to work. 

Just hope it replaces the POA event 😀

• Like 1