Legendary Contests feedback thread

Čamuga

Did you like legendary contests?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like Legendary Contests?

2. 2. Would you want this event to return in the same way as it was this time?

3. 3. Did you get the girl?

• No, and I didn't even try
    • No and I tried
    • Yes

I'm mostly making this to see others feedback on this event, now that it's passed. I honestly hated this event, I have gotten the girl on the 1st day just to be done with it, because I was sure that I wouldn't be able to compete in the next 2 contests, and I was heavily unsure about the last one and I didn't want to leave it up to chance.

There were MANY issues with the event in my view, from the start of it all the way through the end. The most egregious I would say is locking the girl behind a PvP event, where we actively hurt others attempts to win a girl in our success and vice versa. To me this goes against everything the game stands for and it's main appeal And not to forget, it's a PvP event that was locked behind timezone issues for many players. I can only imagine how awful this event was for the NA sphere, as if this event was introduced in the old server reset times I can't imagine how pissed off I'd be personally. I probably wouldn't even bother with it!

Second issue I would say is 2 issues in one, but I think that they're linked enough to warrant them being in the same category- which is the contest notifications + lag!  This does go outside of the event a bit, but I think it's clear that these were introduced before the event in order to slow it down, as we've seen the abysmal lag! The servers absolutely cannot handle this type of an event, that's so heavily dependent on sniping last second. This doesnt even feel good to play (apart from the PvP aspect that's already bad enough!), who knows why we won? Who knows why I won, maybe the other person that was trying to snipe at the same time as me had even worse lag than I did? Maybe they had those stupid contest notifications that we could get rid of thanks to @FinderKeepers script? Not only is it wrong from the start, it also doesn't even feel good to get the girl! While I had gotten her for a measly ~400 Kobans, which just price-wise seems amazing, the amount of effort during the entire day of the contest, time management to devote every waking moment to the game and also stress- it's not worth it, and it restricts everyone way too much. I'd say thats a MASSIVE error on this event. (note that this experience is heavily bracket- related, and I'm level 340/341 during this event, and it was VERY competitive, we've seen screenshots of higher and lower brackets where there was more and less competition. But as players level and stick to the game, we will all be reaching those super high level brackets where people are spending everything that they gain from D3 rewards, and then we'll all be screwed). 

Third issue Id say is the ridiculous amount of luck that goes into this event. The BIGGEST factor, apart from you hoarding enough resources to compete of course, is who you get pit up against. Which is the nasty aspect of PvP. There could definitely be someone who's pit up against a bunch of players that they just cant compete against, and then they're screwed. The fundamental structure of the event is unfair, and even if this part could be temporary/skipped by going into the next bracket, it still takes away what little control players have in normal events. This takes the game in an undesirable direction for most of the players, and if you keep pushing these events, even with the great art people are highly likely to despise the event. I haven't seen many if any players really liking this event, but that's why I put the poll here so we can all see.

Those are the 3 biggest things I've found that bothered me with this event, theres some smaller ones of course, like how the girls with good/top tier art are always locked behind the new events people dislike (PoA and this one of course), as if people will automatically like the event because there's a good girl in there, instead of thinking "well wait a minute why didnt we get this good art instead of what we got for that awful Corrupted Girls event?!". It feels like a kick in the nuts to the new players for sure, and it pisses off the veterans that were used to the older quality. Or maybe how this type of event had a rough start where lots of people didnt even get enrolled in the event even despite being active every day. I'm sure people could list even more problems that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

TL;DR: This event is awful and please never do it again.

• Like 14

@Čamuga while I do agree with some of the issues you pointed out, your feedback lacks the "pros" side, which the event definitely has. I don't think that's the best way to give your feedback to the devs.

P.S. I also wanted to point out the issue with your poll. It doesn't have "I neither liked, nor disliked the event" entry. Only "Yes" or "No". No neutral entries. Only black or white ones, which doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Edited by Тёмный Властелин
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did say 1 pro that I think it had, which is the price- a lot of people got the girl for little to no koban investment. 
I dont think it has many if any pros other than that though, because I dont like the basic concept of a girl being a reward for PvP stuff. When you start from a bad base, there's very little redeeming qualities in my opinion. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FinderKeeper said:

Exclusivity has a part in it too.

For example, if regular daily contests sometimes offered event pachinko girls as 1st place prize, I don't think there would've been many dislikes about it.

If it were only a girl from the pachinko, then I dont think many would mind. Where issues would arise is if that Event Pachinko+Contest girl looked blatantly better than all others (kinda like how we had Shade in the last new event), then I think people would be angry, and rightfully so. Again, that would come all down to their execution, which has not only been a disaster, but also on top of it you had a rotten concept, there was no way that this would go over well.

15 minutes ago, Тёмный Властелин said:

P.S. I also wanted to point out the issue with your poll. It doesn't have "I neither liked, nor disliked the event" entry. Only "Yes" or "No". No neutral entries. Only black or white ones, which doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Yes, that was intentional, the "i dont know" option generally tends to skew results and is just a wasted vote, when people are faced with such a choice I'm hoping to incite some thinking and deciding, to avoid getting an "eh idc Ill say the middle option fuck it". if a person is truly neutral, they can just not do the poll

Edited by Čamuga

1 minute ago, FinderKeeper said:

Exclusivity has a part in it too.

For example, if regular daily contests sometimes offered event pachinko girls as 1st place prize, I don't think there would've been many dislikes about it.

That goes back to my pre-LC assessment that this could be a decent concept as an additional way to revive girls. It wouldn't address the fundamental issue that all contests have (the time zone dis/advantages), but the level of competition for old girls would naturally be lower since a lot of the "biggest" players would already have them. And if it ran more frequently the costs of winning such a contest would eventually come down since people's resource stocks won't last indefinitely and they'd have to start being more selective about which girl to go for.

As an event that awarded an exclusive new girl I didn't like it too much, even though it turned out to be cheap and relatively trouble-free for me personally. But between the time zones issue, various people not getting enrolled on some days (I was certainly worried that it could happen to me on Day 4 and I'd be stuck with 75 shards...), and the lag problem, the whole package was not overly enjoyable.

• Like 2

I'm going give you my experience from the 400+ brackets, as the lower brackets most likely differ extremely.

Day 1 (gaining exp and winning PvP): I did 6 refills in the league and some refills in the arena as well. I was ranked 27th in my league even after 6 refills, normally I would be rank 1 or 2 at this point. I am a very competitive player in the league and it would harm my score to do all my fights and maybe even end up giving away a win, so I didn't wanna do more refills cuz let's face it, the rewards for winning in D3 far outweighs that of getting the girl on the 1st day. I ended up in 9th place, gaining 50 shards.

Day 2 (donating money and playing pachinko): I played the epic pachinko x10 once (cuz of the latest girl being there), and ten times EP x1 orbs, and also donating 100 million ymens. My bracket was heavily contested and I would've had to donate 200 million more ymens to get into the top 26 (and gain 25 shards). Too expensive for me so I ended up 37th, gaining 0 shards

Day 3 (fights against villains and spending energy): I did enough combativity refills to having spent roughly 6k kobans here. I wanted to make sure that I would get the girl, while at the same time level up one of the villains so I can unlock its next stage and eventually get a girl there. One guy passed me with about 5 refills worth of points, so I was planning to snipe him the next day (just to show him who's boss lol) but this backfired. As the server started to lag immensely about 20 minutes before the reset, and in all honesty, because of it I missed 1 Perform x10 click, losing by 100 points. I ended in other words up 2nd, gaining 100 shards and the girl. I did, however, NOT gain 50 Epic Flower gifts as I thought I would... oh well.

Day 4 (give xp, level up, and get new girls): I posted this in the discussion thread but I had saved a lot of books (enough to get me to 1,4 million points). I had planned to level up my harem level anyway and hopefully winning a normal contest by doing so, but then the news about the legendary event was released and I waited to spend my books. I did not "waste" any resources here, as level up my harem level only benefits me with better girls against Champions and more endurance = higher EGO. This event was just pure luck that I had saved my books for a while tho, if I hadn't there would be absolutely no point in even trying here I feel like. Unless you are willing to spend thousands of kobans on market refreshes. In the end, I ended up 1st.

My end results: 9th, 37th, 2nd, 1st.

I like the idéa of this event but the execution was poorly done. How many kobans and ymens were sacrificed during this event anyway?
This was more a competition of "Who can or is willing to spend the most?". 

I was thinking of how this could've been better, I thought of giving the 26+ players 25 shards instead so everyone could get the girl, but I instantly realized how foolish this would be as no one would have to do anything and still get the girl. With this realization, I understand that those who don't do anything, also won't get the girl, just like in any other event (as it should be). While this makes sense to me, it's still a fact that only half the players from every bracket will at the very least "only" gain shards. I am sure that every player who's above level 400 would normally get the girl during normal legendary days. In this event, however, rough estimate here but about 2/3 of the players got to get the girl here of those players (what I think without having any numbers to go from).

Bottom point here I think is the fact that the girl is completely new that no one has, which is why EVERYONE that wants here competes for her, spending ridiculous amounts of resources because everyone is competing with each other and not themselves as in normal legendary days. The concept wasn't bad like I said if this would've been a revival event where the girl is most likely claimed by many players already, the competition wouldn't be as big and I think many more would enjoy this type of event that way. The fact that this was a legendary girl, and a new legendary girl, is the reason this got so out of hand IMO.
Edit: Just saw that shal posted something similar while I was typing this post, great minds think alike!

My conclusion, casual players definitely suffered during this event and many of them didn't even get the girl, whilst the players with tons of resources competed with each other who has the bigger dick. I did not like this event.

Edited by Slynia
  • Like 5

This is more or less reiterating what I have posted elsewhere but, re: Legendary Contests: I like the the rewards (5 star girls & MPx6 orbs get a big thumbs up!) & I was delighted to win/achieve top 4 finishes for negligible outlay in 3 of the 4 contests (i spent in order to obtain my top 4 in the Villain fights event but, as would've done so anyway in order to obtain their girls, this was just a matter of timing my spending for maximum effect) so, from a selfish point of view, it was a good event however I'm not at all comfortable with the fact that in order to obtain the event girl i had to deprive another player of their chance of obtaining her &, for that reason, I voted 'no' in the first two polls.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slynia said:

I was thinking of how this could've been better, I thought of giving the 26+ players 25 shards instead so everyone could get the girl, but I instantly realized how foolish this would be as no one would have to do anything and still get the girl.

This can be solved with proper rebalancing, i.e.
1 - 4th  -> 100 shards
5-10th  -> 70 shards
11-25th  -> 35 shards
26+  -> 15 shards

This way people would be able to get the girl if they put in significant enough effort on at least one day even if they're unable to compete on others. Plus it will open up more spots on day 4, since places 11-25 can get the necessary shards within 3 days. The problem of unclaimed rewards still stands as people are sorted into brackets depending on whether they have the girl or not, so if you have 75 shards claimed and 50 unclaimed, you'd be sorted into a shard bracket again.

• Like 7

I think that the servers just aren't equipped for an event that encourages so much activity in such a short window of time.  They already struggle with normal reset times.  Staggering end times with the other contest helped a bit I'm sure but the lag near the end was still terrible.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Slynia said:

I am sure that every player who's above level 400 would normally get the girl during normal legendary days.

Some of the ridiculous battle teams people are trotting out in league makes me seriously doubt that. Above 420 maybe, but level 400 just isn't all that exclusive to "serious" players anymore.

I do agree in that this means that some rather unfortunate mediocre players had to contend against the big names here, and probably would have had much better chances in the level 361-400 brackets. I didn't struggle at only level 406, but I'm not exactly an average player.

Edited by _shal_

6 minutes ago, _shal_ said:

Some of the ridiculous battle teams people are trotting out in league makes me seriously doubt that. Above 420 maybe, but level 400 just isn't all that exclusive to "serious" players anymore.

What I was trying to say, is that every 400+ player that is active and willing to get the girl, can MOST LIKELY (with very few exceptions) get her during normal legendary days. That is seriously what I believe. Compared to this event, even if you are "active and willing" that is by no means the minimum requirement anymore.

• Like 4

At the end I would describe it that way:

• it is a new format that asks for different investment than just boss refills - like PoA where you have changing tasks
  • it is bad because my success relies on the failure of others and the reset time thing
  • quite thrilling as during reset time the game lagged and a real time ranking update was missed 

So I would suggest things like:

• have 4 days
  • have different ways each day to gain shards - the current ones might be kept
  • no competition between players
  • no additional rewards once the girl is obtained

So it would be like "win PvP/league and get some shard drops" - as well as "play Pachinko and get some shard drops" or "do boss fights to get shard drops" and "give XP and get shard drops".

Last anniversary there was Norou (Legendary 5 star) as a revival in Arena. So while it is technically easy to add rewards to already existing reward screens, it might be difficult at first for other things like giving XP.

On the other hand there would be the event running in background which comes with the "contest notification" - so as the feature will never cease, there could be usage: showing the shard gain. 

The funny balancing would be to e.g. avoid spending only Ymen to get the 5* LG. So maybe you say you get maximum 50 shards per event day. That would allow me to finish it on two days and to miss the one or other day - like any event today.

Edited by windia

DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I think of this event. I will never waste another second playing a game where you intentionally screw people over. So go fuck yourselves. Going to bed at night in 1st place and waking up way down the list is bullshit.

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 2

I got the girl for pretty much 2M, so I can't complain much (or more likely, not at all) 😅  I got 4 top10 spots, so I also got 2 x3 MP orbs.

I feel I was very lucky with my brackets. Only the very last contest went (a bit) crazy, IMO (and curious enough, it had zero movement on reset time, though the rewards were "just" the orbs).

I would suggest/prefer that these kind of contests (Legendary, maybe Epic?) could (maybe) be "bonus events" to regular events. More like an extra chance to get (other/rarer) girls? As the (main) event, it seems a bit underachieving to me (especially with the amount of resources we've seen shared by several players). Getting one girl per event also will stall the harem progress considerably :( Also, I'm not saying that they have to run every single time. 

The lag was a real problem. Considering it might mean the waste of considerable effort and resources (not to mention frustration and so on), it definitely is something that has to be addressed, somehow.

I will say that some of the contests were exciting come reset time but I'm also pretty sure that was because my brackets weren't so crazy.

That's mainly my reason for the 2 "No"s... while I was successful on this occasion, with some "random" bad luck, I could've been on the short end of the stick or, at least, go into so much cost and effort that it would even feel unconfortable getting the girl, which is very much the opposite of what you'd want.

So far, the results are pretty clear... almost everyone got the girl and at the same time didn't really like/enjoy the format of the event (a small sample but a clear orientation).

Additionally, I feel both LC (and PoA for that matter) are a lot more intense and demanding than the other events, while (arguably) giving less? 🤔

Again, a comment from the cheap seats (level just barely over 200).

In my bracket there was a race for the bottom. I just ignored the contest and played my normal game. I got 50 shards day one, 25 shards day two and 50 more shards on day 3. My original intention was to shoot for the bottom as 4 legendary items was probably worth more to me than a 5 star legendary girl. Let me explain.

I now own 7 legendary girls. I have given 3 stars to one, 2 stars to two and 1 star each to the other 4. I can't really afford to upgrade legendary girls. The ones with more than 1 star are the three which match my category. Imagine all the people down around level 100 or less who will have a hard enough time upgrading Legendary Girls to just one star. All they can do is hope to get legendary gifts by winning orbs in daily contests or from villians or, in this case, by finishing in the bottom of this legendary contest.

I think many people tried for the bottom because they didn't want to be stuck with part of a girl they could never finish. The problem is, if they started with this goal it was hard to change tactics later, when they found it would have been easier than they thought to go for it. It turns out shooting for the bottom also just deprived a lot of people of the joy of playing the game as usual.

Sniping is a problem depending on your time zone. I'm in the USA and, when I first joined, I could snipe and felt guilty about doing it. Now I'm on the receiving end and it feels like karma. I don't know how easy it would be to do the following, but perhaps it would work: I know they can already group players by level, so perhaps they can group players by time zone, so you only compete with similar temporal players. A better but more difficult alternative would be to run two parallel contests which start and stop at different times. Each player could pick, in his profile or when signing up, which time category he prefers. There will still be sniping in any solution, but at least it would be equal opportunity sniping.

My proposal for a much improved Contest: Don't award a specific girl. Have a contest in which you can win "wild card" shards which can be used on girls which you have sitting on your roster, unfinished. That way, even with less than 100 shards won in the contest, they will still be useful. And no one can complain about "zero sum" since whatever you win will be useful and take nothing away from other players.

And, before people go too far complaining about "Pay to Win" and the company that runs this site, remember they are in business. If they don't make a profit they won't be around. I appreciate that, unlike many of the softcore clickbait micropayment games out there, I can indeed play this one for free and enjoy it. If there were not some players buying kobans or whatever with real world cash, I couldn't be here. I don't mind if kinkoid occasionally runs contests that prompt the paying players to give them some money. I accept it and gladly sit them out while I play in the rest of the game.

Edited by DocJD
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Тёмный Властелин said:

@Čamuga while I do agree with some of the issues you pointed out, your feedback lacks the "pros" side, which the event definitely has. I don't think that's the best way to give your feedback to the devs.

Adding to this, I said before that I don't see this event as black or white, there is also grey, so a better poll would be one with more options (1 to 5 or from hate to love with some intermediate steps).

For my feelings about the contest, I didn't like it really, but I don't see as bad as some people told before, in fact many people got the girl with a very small effort, especially in the lower level brackets.

Of course I got the girl, for less than 1000 kobans (The ymens are expendable at high level, the proof is that many people spent easily hundreds of millions without a doubt, some people even in the range of a billion ymens), and I could have get cheaper as @_shal_ did, but this weekend I wasn't online most of the time so I had to assure her in the first two days.

It is an event that I wouldn't like to see often, but if it is once every 4-6 months I don't mind.

• Like 3

I'm one of the "didn't even try" of the event.

The first issue I had was that I knew that even if I made it into any of the top brackets to get some shards, I'd never be able to hold it as I must go to bed 2 hours before the event ends.

The second issue that came to my consideration was the expenditure of resources to achieve the high brackets. There's a lot of highly competitive people in the game and this kind of contest appeals to them. So, even if I thought I could hold on to my higher bracket I might not have the resources to achieve it. And the trouble with that was that if I did try but ended up squeezed out, then there would be a lot of stuff lost (well, not in the book department) in an attempt that, ultimately, didn't produce a stable guaranteed result.

So I didn't play and as I watched the contest from each day I was glad.

The point ratings on the top tiers was stupendous. In the last day event, which is the one that stuck in my mind the most, the top 4 spaces had 1.5 - 2 million points. The next 5-15 were similarly high as well. The other contests through the days produces similar top brackets. I did think that I might have placed, accidentally, in the Boss battle one, just by doing bosses the normal way I would. I was in the low 30s and considered trying to push down into the 25s but didn't. Which is good as my rating ended up in the mid 40s when it was all done.

Overall, my guesses and watching the event told me that, ultimately, unless you could massively outscore all the others in your bracket, the only way to probably win was to be there at the very end of the contest each day. -- of course I didn't even consider the lag factor that others started talking about so that wouldn't even be a strong guarantee for a win.

I bet they think my answers are conflicting.  I got the girl on the first day,  probably because no one was able to snipe, otherwise I would have never got her on the first day.  I like legendary events.  But did I like this event......HELL NO.  Wish they would go back to goal oriented event and not this players against players crap.

Edited by Dr. Lust
  • Like 2

I don't like this new type of event for two reasons:

1) It's very unforgiving. Not every user can end in the top 10 spot and many can't even finish in the 25 shards bracket regularly, condemning them to failure even if they do their best. In four days there is no place for mistakes or real life problems getting in the way and, given the complains, the reset time becomes and added problem to the whole thing. The change in rewards that LanceHardwood proposes could be a step in the right direction, but extending the event another day, to give some margin of error, would also help in that regard.

2) This type of event goes against the very foundation of this game: fight villains to get girls. It's always been like that and it wasn't until the introduction of the Path of Attraction event that the game deviated from that formula. This new type of event takes it not one but two steps further by making players compete against each other. And since this is the second new type of event that deviates from the original formula in such short time, one can't help but wonder how long until you add another one, maybe even replacing the main event with something akin to those two new events? How long until this game abandons the whole idea of fight villains to get girls? And worse of all, how long until it ditches the free-to-play model and becomes pay-to-win? Because, given the direction that these new events point to, that's what it seems that will happen in the not so distant future.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Eman said:

I don't like this new type of event for two reasons:

for me also:

3) Legendary Lag. It's not a good thing

4) Just like PoA, because you have to prepare for these events (save up on books, level-able girls, yemen, etc) it throws a shadow that is much larger then just the 4 days the event lasts. If both PoA and LC become regulars, they will completely dominate *all the time* how people play.

5) It requires a commitment in time (both in minutes and in frequency of looking after the game) that is much higher than "normal" events. I don't know about others, but I cannot and will not participate with this level of commitment in time again.

• Like 5

So they released their poll and then left some options with no details to them. I really hope that they read this section and the other one in General section, since their poll will probably yield little to no useful information.... -.-

Yeah, I agree with what DvDiXXX said before when parodying their team:
KK team: Ok guys we really care about your feedback, now tell us how much you liked this event, on a scale from "I liked it" to "I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!!!111111!1!11" 
Seriously, no wonder they "listen to feedback" when they make sure in advance that the feedback that they can receive will be feedback that they want to hear -.-