Cumback Contests are LIVE

Liliat

Mostly batches of x10s on the CC. I've been playing plenty of villain fights too but that's a small percentage (the points per koban ratio for this particular contest is much higher for CC fights than villain fights).

To be clear, this was way overkill. I was sitting pretty at #1 my somewhat usual ~70-80k but then the crazy player started to contest me and eventually I was like 40k behind him in the last two minutes so I just made constant x10s on the CC until reset. ^^ Nowhere near worth what I got out of it, except for the satisfaction of making my challenger regret pushing me that far (hopefully).

20 hours ago, DvDivXXX said:

Mostly batches of x10s on the CC.

Okay, that way it is of course possible to reach pretty high scores. I try to get 1st by challenging the CC every 15 minutes as good as I can, but of course I have other things. One time it didn't work out either and similarly in the last minutes I use x10 to jump to 1st, but on a much lower score level (usually 1st is 60-70k in my bracket). I'm overdoing it usually on the other two CbC days, where more players are (wisely) spending their orbs/gems shortly before reset. So sometimes it is a little battle, which makes me wait really for the last minute and then hammering the GPx10/awakenings out to be sure 😄.

• Like 1

Compared to this it was so cheap here (level bracket 281+). CbC was as well a sniper duel, all three of us used 2*10 club champion performances in the last 20 seconds to maintain the same rank 😂. Dammit I wanted these books for today's LC, but looks like the other two thought the same. LC on the other hand was zero challenge, no battle no (other) sniper:

contests.thumb.png.9cabe825c60bae8708073b52eb9745f5.png

il y a 4 minutes, Methos2 a dit :

However, sniping by winning with a 1-2 clicks is just being mean.

There's no contest in CbC Day 3 when a diamond-card holder is present. However it becomes more interesting to watch when 2 diamond-card holders fight each other :)

10 hours ago, Basniowy said:

IIRC the fight has started with matt having 150K and me having 90K. ;)

That's not really sniping then when the opponent aware of your presence. That's just players duking it out. I've seen too many times that players sneakily snipe at last moment to win by having intentionally 1-click more. I find this obnoxious. It's cowardly. Thanks for clearing it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horsting said:

I find it mean to describe players who exhausts all options to win contests (!) like that

Those are not whom I was referring.

5 hours ago, Horsting said:

The rules are the same for everyone, and also sniping has its risks.

The rules are not the same for everyone. People who are in disadvantage time zones and people who have real life constraints to access the game at reset time always have a big handicap with contests. Some players get their kicks by sniping these players by 1 click, not because they have exhausted their resources. They do it to taunt. Those are the cowards.

10 hours ago, Methos2 said:

The rules are not the same for everyone. People who are in disadvantage time zones and people who have real life constraints to access the game at reset time always have a big handicap with contests. Some players get their kicks by sniping these players by 1 click, not because they have exhausted their resources.

I did not say that it is "fair" for everyone. But the "rules" are the same: 50 opponents, similar level (where even relevant), same objective, 24h, same reset time, all transparent. Such games without a finit time, location, setting and P2W elements are never fair. Not everyone has the same long-term spare time, the possibilities to collect the same amount of resources between similar/same contest/event objectives/needs, the money or willingness to buy additional resources, the same currency value to € or $, a stable internet connection etc, which all has nothing to do with sniping. And then you really call players "cowards" and imply they want "to taunt", who probably use one of the little advantages they have to succeed in a certain aspect of this game?

I do try to snipe as well, whenever I can. I get sniped as well, just today, which is fine: I knew that the safety distance wasn't sufficient, and had no XP rewards left from LC. I also lost contests because I tried to snipe but gaining score points took longer than expected, because of bad internet and/or slow GUI or just because of I had to think a little too long how to not completely waste gems/books. I do it when I can, because it is a more efficient way to spend resources for game progress. It makes it also a more interesting challenge, as it requires timing, opponent observation and assessment, risk estimation, e.g. which position to start from to not unnecessarily tease others to gain points, but sometimes intentionally to observe opponent activity earlier, or to build some safety distance to next opponent/bracket etc. Others may find it too exhausting, I like the additional aspects this adds on top of just "who has the most spare/collected/shopped resources".

You can believe me that I do not do this to "taunt" anyone. I am not evil laughing about others, I am happy and satisfied when it worked out, and I accept a defeat when others did better or I a mistake. And I find it offensive and unfair to be called a coward (the word IMO is completely misplaced in this context) and even more by being implied to offend others with this tactic.

I do not want to offend you either, but usually such blames come from envy and/or frustration, being it because of a disadvantageous situation or own abilities/nerves. Reminds me of players blaming campers/snipers in tactical shooters, while every really successful team wisely used the maps options for camping/sniping and didn't blindly run into areas where campers/snipers can be expected, just like real soldiers would do.

Edited by Horsting

On 6/23/2023 at 3:45 AM, Methos2 said:

Sniping is a nature of this game. However, sniping by winning with a 1-2 clicks is just being mean.

@Horsting I never said all snipers all cowards. Don't twist my words. I snipe too but I put enough margin to show that I wanted to win more. And I would congratulate anyone who do the same to beat me.

7 hours ago, Horsting said:

I did not say that it is "fair" for everyone. But the "rules" are the same

That's just semantic. Players in advantageous time zone can choose whether or not to play during reset time. It's a choice for them on how to fit the game into their lives. Players in disadvantageous time zone don't get to choose. There are players who prey on others in those situations and they do it in an un-sportsmanship way. If you don't do it like them, I wasn't talking about you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Methos2 said:

I never said all snipers all cowards. Don't twist my words.

Ah sorry, I didn't read that earlier post, was just referring to the one I quoted from.

I snipe too but I put enough margin to show that I wanted to win more.

I do not see why it makes a difference when you overdo it with the score in the last minute, compared to just using enough resources, especially if those are rare? I cannot imagine that an opponent who moved to another bracket because of this cares much about whether you jumped 100 or 1000 or 1M points above. The result is the same, just that you used more resources than necessary. Different people have a different sensitivity about such things, of course. But in this case I think one should better learn to accept being sometimes sniped like that with a smile, even if the time zone or other disadvantageous situation is the reason ... It is a game after all.

There are players who prey on others in those situations and they do it in an un-sportsmanship way.

I think you assume too much about other players' intentions, especially assuming mean intention. Should we all intentionally loose a contest/position, or waste resources when we see that the player we'd move from 4th to 5th lives (based on selected language and/or client IP) in a country where it is unlikely to be online at 12:00 UTC? And what about those which are usually in office at that time, or countries with multiple time zones, like USA where for east coast it is morning and for west coast still in the middle of the night? Also, only because one is not asleep, does not mean that one can choose to play a sex game at 12 UTC 😅.

I mean I value that you care about the feelings of other players. But IMO the fact that one scores as late as possible before reset to get a position as resource-effective as possible doesn't mean un-sportsmanship or that one made an evil plan against and afterwards laughs about individual opponents explicitly based on country. I am happy and satisfied when I won a contest/position as close as possible (timely and by score), but this does not mean that I am gloating. And I basically learned to not trust in opponent activity time based on country, saw players sniping and beating me which should usually be asleep, hats off for the effort! Of course this may change if you remember some names after a while.

23 minutes ago, Horsting said:

Ah sorry, I didn't read that earlier post, was just referring to the one I quoted from.

Context is everything. You completely ignored the original post. Cherry picking and quoting someone out of context don't serve a productive conversation.

Your recent posts indicate that you are fairly new to the game so you haven't reached what we call the bracket of death yet in LC. Positioning here is much much harder than lower brackets. Winning LC involves hundreds if not thousands of clicks. When someone win by 1-2 click, that is generally not because they don't have resource to spare. It is an intentional act. Only option for players in disadvantageous time zones to compete in contests is to dominate the score. Some prey on this handicap. I'm glad that you are not one of them but don't pretend that they don't exist.

Here is why context is important. The OP, an European, posted that he sniped a South American player by 2 tickets out of at least 250 tickets where the 3rd place had half of the winning score. So it looked like the situation I was referring. He then gloated and taunted his opponent on a public forum. Yes, I found that offensive. That's why I chimed in. He cleared up that he didn't actually snipe but they fought it out at last moment. I'm fine with that and acknowledged his post with a like.

• Like 2

I did re-read it. I agree that the "RIP" along with the opponent's ingame name is something that might offend this person, but I think it is over-interpretation to say he "gloated and taunted". Subtext interpretation is a natural problem with written text, but I understood it as being proud and happy, not as offensive. However, this is not what you criticised in the first place. Even if that opponent had its score on 1st hour and the sniper on last second, I would not criticise the tactic in any way, and that is what you did by calling it "mean" and later "cowardly", which I both strongly disagree with and find the second word completely misplaced. And I did feel a little offended by this (all good) because it is exactly what I am always aiming for:

• It is clever and I would call it unnecessary to do more clicks/use more resources in the hope it does not hurt the others' feelings as much. Even if one does have more resources available does not mean that they are completely spare and couldn't serve a better need in a later contest or event, like tickets now in PoA.
  • I do not think that it makes a difference for most players whether they get sniped by 1 or by 1M clicks.
  • Your viewpoint proves that there are players (you at least?) who feel offended more by being sniped more closely. My personal opinion is that such player should better learn to being less sensitive, than others wasting resources or intentionally losing to not hurt others' feelings in a game and contest.
  • The opponents country btw does not really fit into the sniping discussion, because the last seconds sniping is not needed for those opponents who are sleeping or in a meeting, but those who are online at the time of reset, which you do not want to be able to react anymore after they see your scoring. As said, I do not look at the country at all, it does not change anything about the tactic: It is always watching the scoreboard until as late as possible before scoring, to know the latest opponents' scores and so that others cannot react, whether being online or not.

I might overdo with arguing here, like Marty McFly feeling overly offended by the word "coward", playing the game just for 2 months, but already fighting a holy war for all the snipers out there, who do not care about the feelings of their contest opponents, or never thought about that they might hurt anyone's feelings more than the natural disappointment of loosing a contest 😅.

Edited by Horsting
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When are we getting WTF emoji back?!

@Horsting For the n-th times, I am not calling all snipers cowards. Stop twisting the subject to win sympathy. I was referring to those who explicitly prey on players in disadvantageous time zones and they do it in a way to taunt others. I see this as a cowardly act (yes, coward! Marty). It's like beating a disabled person who can't defend themselves. If you argue about this because you want to engage in this predatory behavior too, you don't need my approval. And don't you dare telling players in disadvantageous time zones to just roll over and to expect losing contests. I'm done with you. You can have the last words.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Methos2 said:

When are we getting WTF emoji back?!

Hopefully never. (I'm half-sure you're joking about this, as you probably followed the discussion in Chit Chat when Tohru updated our set of emojis, and I hope you understand it was removed on purpose to reduce toxicity; still just in case, it doesn't hurt to clarify ^^).

19 hours ago, Horsting said:

I might overdo with arguing here

Definitely, and it's not the first time you get carried away just like that. You sound like an experienced gamer in general, with lots of opinions and ideas on strategy and tactics and mechanics in general, which gives you a lot of confidence about your current perception of how these aspects apply in this particular game. Unfortunately, you're just too green on this particular game to really know what you're talking about. Because you haven't even begun to experience what most other forum regulars are talking about, and you're winging it by extrapolating from the super easy and casual early game experience you have here, drawing educated guesses at best from your experience in other games and/or from vaguely interpreting what more experienced players of this particular game are saying. It's a bit irritating to be frank (as I mentioned in the thread about girl equipment), and going as far into an argument as you have here with Methos, over something you haven't experienced yourself yet is a waste of time for you and whoever you're arguing with. Please be mindful of this in future exchanges. Especially when its palpable that the other person is upset or feeling strongly about something, whereas it's clear you're in it for a much more abstract intellectual curiosity yourself.

----------

Beyond that, the term "sniping" tends to be overused and sometimes misunderstood in this thread's last couple of pages and in other places, compared to what it typically means for most players in this game. Including by the post by @Basniowy that inadvertently prompted this "debate" between Methos and Horsting. "Sniping" isn't just winning (including, as was apparently the case for Basniowy's contest, in a one on one duel), it's winning at the last moment, typically from way behind and in a way that your opponents didn't have time to see coming or react to. Opinions may vary on this practice in general, though it's generally frowned upon or perceived negatively by those on the receiver's end and it can be a source of pride and joy for those on the sniper's end. It's not cheating, technically, and no one can really guess the sniper's intentions besides "grabbing a win thanks to the element of surprise".

I've often been annoyed by a league opponent beating me in the final few minutes in league, even though I've heard reasonable arguments as to why waiting for the last moment can have merits regardless of how the person you pass over might feel. It doesn't feel great to see yourself at #1 until like five minutes before the end, and then poof! it's gone. But I deal with it and I do my best not to take it personally.

Time zones don't matter nearly as much for leagues or other things, but for daily contests it makes a HUGE difference (at high enough level and in tough enough brackets that there's a difference to be made,  that is, which again is NOT something Horsting is even close to having experienced first-hand in this particular game). For the first 4+ years of the game's existence, the server was aligned with NYC time for some reason, so players from the US and America in general had a massive advantage on most opponents in contests, especially European players. One day, at long damn last, Kinkoid seemingly realized that setting their server to a foreign time zone when their own offices are in Bulgaria made no sense and they changed it. Since then, it's been kind of the reverse: players who live in the same time zone as the server tend to have a big advantage on players from other time zones instead. But at least, reset time happens while Kinkoid offices are open and it's the middle of the work day (during the week), whereas it used to take place in the middle of the night when they're closed and staff is asleep.

In my particular situation, I've been in a disadvantageous time zone for about two years and some change, and in the favored time zone since then (I'll round my 4th year of playing this game this summer). I have plenty of horror stories and bad memories from the former situation, and I'd be lying if I pretended I'm not in the lucky group for contests now.

In any case, it is what it is. And yeah, there's a clear difference between getting defeated and getting sniped in terms of how it feels, at least for some of us. But at the same time, setting an alarm clock in the middle of the night for a chance to win a daily contest in this game is depressing at best. So, some players can get triggered by this practice at times, others less so. It's understandable but there isn't much we can do about it. Except trying to use the term "sniping" appropriately and not simply as "winning a contest".

We're done here. Please let this thread resume its normal state of simple screenshots and short result reports three days a week. Play nice, good luck, have fun. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2