What's going on with D2?

430i

So this is my first week in D2 and I just observed something that I have never heard experienced in any other league. At the very end the points gap between the 15th and the 31st was about 35 points. Few points more and you end up with the big dogs, few points less and you end up missing on some kobans. Is this point gap normal? In the D1 the gap was around 200-250 points, which make the last few days quite relaxed, while now you have to be online until the very last second to prevent being sniped...

I just commented the same thing on the leagues topic.

Last week, in my D2 league, the gap was 100 points. This week, it was 43 points. I guess many players left D3 to get some safe results in D2, and now the 16~30 bracket is not big enough for everyone?

I guess it's time to open D4 :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know this from my times before I go regular to D3. It comes to this because a lot of player won't promote to D3 but want to get most of XP and Koban from the league so they try to end in 30-16. The small gap was normal.

@LiliatIt's an old phenomenon and not because players left d3 it's more they feel not strong enough (or playing to casual) fro D3 but didn't want to loose to much.

Edited by bolitho76
  • Like 6

il y a 3 minutes, bolitho76 a dit :

@LiliatIt's an old phenomenon and not because players left d3 it's more they feel not strong enough (or playing to casual) fro D3 but didn't want to loose to much.

Thanks, that's good to know! I only joined D2 a few weeks ago (3 or 4), and I didn't notice that the first time. But last week and this week, it was really clear. It was also not the case in D1; I was only losing maybe a few places during the last half-day. But yeah, I can understand the D2-D3 dilemma :D

• Like 2

What Bolitho said. It's been like this in D2 for a long time. A lot of players there are easily strong enough to promote, but (feel) too weak to compete in D3. So they play the D2 Top 30 usual dance: extract as much XP as possible, without being the sucker who goes a few points too far [Edit: and then has to miss out on all of the XP the following week in order to demote back to D2].

Here's a screenshot from the last D2 I ever played, back in August 2020:

HH League Story 31 - D2 Top 15 Grrr A.png

It wasn't the first time that happened to me either, and back then I had a whole system with a full set of the crappiest equipment imaginable so I could play all my fights and not miss out on XP. But that one was the last straw for me and I just stayed in D3 ever since, first and foremost so I wouldn't have to deliberately underperform ever again.

Edited by DvDivXXX
  • Like 4

I never had that dilemma, I went straight to the upper leagues as soon as they opened, including D3, and back then I was not one of the strongest players, but I preferred trying my best than having to restrain my efforts. It is very rewarding seeing how you slowly improve your results week after week.

I am doing the same in CxH now and even not being very strong and never boosted I am standing my ground.

• Like 2
  • Surprised :O 1

4 hours ago, 430i said:

I guess every week I have to play the thread-the-needle game, how exciting

It's not really that bad. I was doing it for well over a year, and D2 16-30 gives decent kobon rewards for low effort. You usually won't need to use any boosters, definitely won't need any refreshes, don't really need to pay attention to your opponents, and can just take things easy. Just take fights normally for the first few days of the league. Starting on Monday, stop taking fights as soon as you reach 16th place and wait for someone to pass you before fighting again. On Wednesday you want to line things up so you're closest without going over. I found that if I positioned myself into 16th place 4 hours before reset I was golden and could safely go to sleep.

10 hours ago, Liliat said:

I guess it's time to open D4

Not for the reason being discussed. But I can see a time coming. This is the top of my current D3 bracket:

image.thumb.png.36a23a90af905c1d6680336c070183df.png

6x500 and one that will probably hit 500 this week. How many months before the top 30 are all level 500? With the rapid acceleration of PXP from PoV, that's not far away now. By the end of this year, anyone who's level 460+ should probably be hitting the level cap. That's 2/3s of the players in my bracket!

Giving out more PXP was a good thing in a lot of ways, but we're about to see a lot of maxed level players. That's going to bring it's own problems. A new league bracket to allow some of them to move upwards, or raising the level cap seems the likely response. Otherwise, sooner or later (certainly a lot sooner than before PoV), D3 is going to become pretty much the exclusive playground of the 500 club.

EDIT - you could also create a whack load of new D3 brackets to splits the 500s amongst more brackets, but you're going to need a LOT more players in a position to promote in D2 before that becomes a viable option, which needs more players from D1 etc etc etc

Edited by JustVisitingReborn
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, JustVisitingReborn said:

Giving out more PXP was a good thing in a lot of ways, but we're about to see a lot of maxed level players. That's going to bring it's own problems. A new league bracket to allow some of them to move upwards, or raising the level cap seems the likely response. Otherwise, sooner or later (certainly a lot sooner than before PoV), D3 is going to become pretty much the exclusive playground of the 500 club.

So? I don't see a problem with that. I've always wanted a league where people wins thanks to a good strategy, not having more stats than others.

Now with girls level cap at 750 there can be a big difference between players of the same level anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenrae said:

So? I don't see a problem with that.

The problem is that it ultimately bleeds down. Two years from now it won't just be D3 that's filled with 500s. What happens when D1's all 500s? 500 will still take years to reach and even lower bracket leagues become unachievable for players without those years worth of play.

It unquestionably levels the playing field at the very top faster, because more players are going to accelerate to the very top faster, but it also results in hundreds of maxed out players and the appearance of a bigger gulf for new players. And keep in mind that newer players don't have the same resources to sink into the PoV. So it's allowed those of us that do have the resources to accelerate, that those that weren't there yet get left even further behind. It would be a little different had all the PXP been on the free path.....

• Like 2

Many of the issues with the leagues could be improved/ better balanced with Level restricted leagues many other game have had issues of these sorts noboby likes starting a game on level 1 getting smacked by maxed out players i think a Great start would be making the Leagues more like contests with different brackets 0-50 50-100 100-150 150-200 200-250 250-300 it would be more balanced with 50 level difference would at least be better than the 150 Level stronger opponents like it is right now

• Thinking 1

8 hours ago, Rylarth said:

Many of the issues with the leagues could be improved/ better balanced with Level restricted leagues many other game have had issues of these sorts noboby likes starting a game on level 1 getting smacked by maxed out players i think a Great start would be making the Leagues more like contests with different brackets 0-50 50-100 100-150 150-200 200-250 250-300 it would be more balanced with 50 level difference would at least be better than the 150 Level stronger opponents like it is right now

I wouldn't advocate for that. If that was the case I'd be stuck several brackets below where I am now and unable to use strategy to get better rewards, though I do appreciate the sentiment you are expressing. While this ensures that higher level players don't hang around in lower leagues locking up the best rewards, it also prevents lower level players with greater skill from maximising their return. Maybe overall more players would be happier with what you suggest, but I'd be sad :( So self interest wins the day for me 😛

The concern I'm raising above is specifically that to really access PoV with its PXP acceleration, and the MD that new players will need to build a core team to be competitive, they need to be able to access the bigger rewards in the higher brackets. If those brackets are choked with level 500 players that task becomes far more difficult for them and we're back to if you started before 20XX you're at the top and if you started after, you've no chance of catching-up (though Awakenings have kind of seen to that too). Even now, if I want to play MD (and I only have 6 Mythics atm so have to pick-up at least one more) I can only really afford to play PoV once/month.

But I'm not actually suggesting any solution. Creating a D4 bracket has it's own problems. Increase the rewards much beyond the current D3, and we're back to the old D3 Koban printing press. So as much as I suggested this may happen as the PXP acceleration starts to show its impact, I'm not saying it's without complications and can totally understand why many players would be unhappy about it.

13 minutes ago, JustVisitingReborn said:

The concern I'm raising above is specifically that to really access PoV with its PXP acceleration, and the MD that new players will need to build a core team to be competitive, they need to be able to access the bigger rewards in the higher brackets. If those brackets are choked with level 500 players that task becomes far more difficult for them and we're back to if you started before 20XX you're at the top and if you started after, you've no chance of catching-up (though Awakenings have kind of seen to that too). Even now, if I want to play MD (and I only have 6 Mythics atm so have to pick-up at least one more) I can only really afford to play PoV once/month.

I think I've just talked myself into @DvDivXXX winning me over on a previous discussion on whether players should be continuing with MD after 7 Mythics. It's not even about GXP. Getting the PoV extra PXP is going to become critical in the next few months to just being able to hang around in D3. That makes me :( I liked picking-up the Mythic girls and am loathed to leave them on the table. Every 2nd month it is.

• Thanks 1

I also think a good start to decrease some of the Rage of players would be to return the rewards to before the mega nerf of kobans the nerf only serves to further increase the gap between new and old players adding more and more koban costing events and nerfing koban rewards to oblivion will only create spite and hatred

• Like 1
  • Hug 2

10 hours ago, JustVisitingReborn said:

Not for the reason being discussed. But I can see a time coming. This is the top of my current D3 bracket:

image.thumb.png.36a23a90af905c1d6680336c070183df.png

interessting, sygfried is back ... he quit just a few weeks/months ago - could you tell me his team/level of the girls?

1 hour ago, Rylarth said:

I also think a good start to decrease some of the Rage of players would be to return the rewards to before the mega nerf of kobans the nerf only serves to further increase the gap between new and old players adding more and more koban costing events and nerfing koban rewards to oblivion will only create spite and hatred

They're giving *more* kobans now than before, how is that a nerf? The top players are the ones getting less kobans, how is that increasing a gap? It actually decreases it.

You're only looking at the kobans you personally receive on the positions you usually end up, and then talk as if that's what all players receive, when most players are actually receiving more kobans than before.

• Like 2

I think what @Rylarth was touching upon, or at least something along those lines would rather be, for his two previous points:

1. There should be floors (to force bad players with stronger accounts out of the weaker divisions); but not ceilings (as @JustVisitingReborn said, ceilings would prevent good players from fighting uphill battles if they choose to).

2. The gap itself hasn't really increased with the reward distribution changes, but the nerf to top rewards specifically removed some future potential ways for good players with younger accounts to eventually kinda catch up to existing veterans who benefited from the koban printers in the previous system. But at the same time, said existing veterans still have their enormous stashes, but they're growing slower now.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, blaa said:

interessting, sygfried is back ... he quit just a few weeks/months ago - could you tell me his team/level of the girls?

np

Rina - 600
Bellona - 550
Mika - 600
High Mage Arcana - 600
Royal Housemaid - 600
New Year Estelle - 600
Bunna - 600

It's the best possible team on Nutaku this week for a player Awakend to 600 other than Bellona not having been fully levelled up.

That said, they are sitting with a Domination dominance, which could have been avoided whilst still having the best team and is a small weakness that other players could exploit.